Sponsored by:

CV-----> Could Be Last Drive For A While

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 04:31 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
You don't need to be exposed to something that has a 2% mortality rate and build immunity. That doesn't work or make any sense. Peace, love and happiness.

Hopefully you are aware of the history of the Spanish Flu. If not, please do some reading.

Or read Bill Gates' assessment of the situation to get a balanced and informed view that takes into account health, economics, and morality. As well as his recommendations on how to approach this. Trying to build "herd immunity" is not one of them btw. You also cannot build herd immunity to a mutating virus - by definition.
Medical professionals I know are saying much lower than 1%. Over a week ago, a doctor/immunologist here at Vandy that you see on the news (my neighbor) told me point blank that they believe over 10,000,000 had it as of Thursday before last (10 days ago), but the vast majority are asymptomatic and will never be tested. Right now, they are only testing here if you are above 100.4 and that level of fever is brought on by fluid in the lungs which most do not get. Getting same story from wife’s best friend who is research at Vandy right now working on this in the lab there.

I got super week, run down for 2 weeks and had a low grade fever Monday through Thursday of this past week. They would not test me unless I lied about my fever. Fever gone and strength coming back each of the last 3 days and I am 53 and have knocked holes in my lungs from traumatic injuries.

Lets just be grateful, smart and cautious. Lol, I thought this thread was about driving our P cars. About to head out on another blast down the Natchez with wife and dog.

Peace, love and happiness.

Last edited by Doug H; 03-29-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:51 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Medical professionals I know are saying much lower than 1%. Over a week ago, a doctor/immunologist here at Vandy that you see on the news (my neighbor) told me point blank that they believe over 10,000,000 had it as of Thursday before last (10 days ago), but the vast majority are asymptomatic and will never be tested. Right now, they are only testing here if you are above 100.4 and that level of fever is brought on by fluid in the lungs which most do not get. Getting same story from wife’s best friend who is research at Vandy right now working on this in the lab there.

I got super week, run down for 2 weeks and had a low grade fever Monday through Thursday of this past week. They would not test me unless I lied about my fever. Fever gone and strength coming back each of the last 3 days and I am 53 and have knocked holes in my lungs from traumatic injuries.

Lets just be grateful, smart and cautious. Lol, I thought this thread was about driving our P cars. About to head out on another blast down the Natchez with wife and dog.

I'm with you my friend!!

Tom
Old 03-29-2020, 07:51 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts

Agree peace and love but my medical professionals will beat yours any day of the week, so I will trust their info ;-) Will also trust my ears and eyes on the ground, med pros or not, in NYC. It is horrible.

What you just described about your own conditions doesn’t sound similar to COVID btw. Thankfully too because if you have lung issues COVID would be nasty for you. It does say something about horrible testing procedures.

Would love to drive one of my pcars - or any of my collection to be honest - but will respect stay at home and hopefully contribute to this being contained rather than hundreds of thousands of US deaths (or millions).

Stay safe, smart and, most importantly, stay home. Unless you want to see your 401k, home values and everything else, tank beyond any recognition.

Originally Posted by Doug H

Old 03-29-2020, 07:58 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Going back to the topic of CV and driving your car, what are you guys doing to clean/sanitize your leather steering wheel? I typically wipe it down regularly with a damp cloth, and periodically use a leather cleaner followed by conditioner. However, I'm guessing that with CV all this will do is move it around if the steering wheel is contaminated... care to share thoughts/ideas?
Old 03-29-2020, 08:27 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

I am "essential personnel". I go to work every day to corporate buildings, distribution centers, restaurants, and some residences. My life hasn't stopped and I carry on as before while taking some precautions. I still have to shop for groceries and put gas in my tanks. While it has been a bit strange, my life goes on.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store and bought groceries along with about 200 other people. I wash my hands when I get home and practice the same hygiene as I always do because people in general are filthy animals. I am surviving the brave new world of covid and am not afraid, I use common sense. Life goes on.

If I can work, shop, and live then surely taking my GTS for a drive is doing nothing but bringing joy to my life and hurting exactly NOBODY. If people want to cower in their homes, that's fine. Doesn't bother me. Go take your car for a drive, enjoy it. Use common sense, wear a latex glove when at the gas pump. Take your gloves off, throw in the trash, hit the gas!

For the record, the medical professionals I speak to, including my wife also believe its much more widespread than advertised. Its bad for the people who would have problems with any respiratory ailment. My wife tells me if its that transmissable, then it HAS to be everywhere. Im just a dumb pipefitter, I trust her judgment, she would know. She's not concerned either and she would know.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:28 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,436 Likes on 618 Posts

A friend sent me this video about cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting a car.
I learned a few things:

In addition, no one is talking about the items you bring home from the store.
We change out of clothes that have been in public. Have a dedicated laundry basket.
Non perishable items are quarantined in one place. If I use it before 9 days passes I wash the surface and wash hands after getting ANYTHING from pantry.
Perishable food is properly washed before use. I don’t buy I packaged produce if possible. But items like bananas avocado etc are washed with soap water before using. Have done this for many years.

our trunk is lined with hefty bags so we can remove and replace as needed. We have a hefty bag as a landing spot inside the house which can serve as quarantine area for canned goods or just a place to put things down before bringing in house.

Outdoor shoes always come off at the door and we change into dedicated house shoes/slippers.
We have a routine and stick to it. Clean phones, tv remotes, fridge handle and any frequently touched surface (toilet, water faucets handles, etc). Hoping we reduce our risk by assuming that any surface could have virus if we bring something into house like box or canned goods. M

any delivery box is quarantined in garage for 2 days before opening if possible (cardboard is 48 hour life span they say).
Old 03-29-2020, 09:07 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Agree peace and love but my medical professionals will beat yours any day of the week, so I will trust their info ;-) Will also trust my ears and eyes on the ground, med pros or not, in NYC. It is horrible.

What you just described about your own conditions doesn’t sound similar to COVID btw. Thankfully too because if you have lung issues COVID would be nasty for you. It does say something about horrible testing procedures.

Would love to drive one of my pcars - or any of my collection to be honest - but will respect stay at home and hopefully contribute to this being contained rather than hundreds of thousands of US deaths (or millions).

Stay safe, smart and, most importantly, stay home. Unless you want to see your 401k, home values and everything else, tank beyond any recognition.
I would not dismiss Vanderbilt as this lab made breakthrough and Internationally recognized H5N1 antibody findings. My neighbor is the guy one of the major cable news networks uses every time anything weird happens around the world including Ebola. He is super cautious.

Just to be clear, the ONLY comment I attributed to anyone was the estimate that 10,000,000 Americans had as of March 19. Nothing else.

Wife and I are back in Nashville riding this one out. We have about 350 cases in Nashville, 14 hospitalized, 90 recovered, 2 dead and the rest at home in isolation. We had our first case on March 5.

Today was a beautiful day. Wife and I keep our distance and use gloves or wipes if have to touch anything in public.

Natchez Parkway was incredibly full today. We were in her Gallardo spyder. Never seen so many convertibles out and a lot of people bicycling, riding motorcycles and exercising on the Natchez and all over the place. I for one am glad and grateful to see people's spirits up and enjoying life in a safe and respectable manner.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:21 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orange260z
Going back to the topic of CV and driving your car, what are you guys doing to clean/sanitize your leather steering wheel? I typically wipe it down regularly with a damp cloth, and periodically use a leather cleaner followed by conditioner. However, I'm guessing that with CV all this will do is move it around if the steering wheel is contaminated... care to share thoughts/ideas?
Dude, I know. My wife was using these baby wipes or Clorox wipes she dumped alcohol into to wipe of the inside leather door handles in my car. I was like "baby, are you sure that good on the leather?"
Old 03-29-2020, 11:36 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by orange260z
I'm in medicine and still going to work, though less than normal. I use a Clorox wipe. Hopefully not an issue but if it is, I'll get the steering wheel recovered professionally at some point. Also went for a long drive the other day and it was therapeutic. I filled up with fuel on the way home - I wiped the pump with a Clorox wipe, pumped gas, used hand sanitizer before I got back in the car.

This is a pretty level-headed explanation from a Cornell Pulm/Critical Care doc:

Last edited by RacerWannabe; 03-29-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

I agree with all the posts following mine.

Want to note:
a) the airborne risk is valid but thankfully if you review the literature (and logic) it would reasonably only remain airborne for an extended period of 1hr or more when in true aerosol form (ie in a medical procedure where there are ventilators, respirators or other machines that could be mixing very fine droplets). In an outdoor setting or the typical cough the risk is there but not a 3 hour window!
b) we should all take maximum precaution because that is what will halt this.

Better for 1-2 months of economic pain than 1-2 years of prolonged economic and physical suffering and millions of needless deaths.

Stay safe!
Here's another thing that there seems to be no good answer to. I go to the grocery store once a week and I go right before closing when it's almost empty. There are still some people in there though including employees. Even if the person closest to me might be 40' away, what if that person coughed without covering his or her mouth earlier in the area I'm in, how long do the tiny droplets that may contain the virus remain suspended in the air before falling to the floor? I've read all kinds of numbers on this.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:07 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RacerWannabe
I'm in medicine and still going to work, though less than normal. I use a Clorox wipe. Hopefully not an issue but if it is, I'll get the steering wheel recovered professionally at some point. Also went for a long drive the other day and it was therapeutic. I filled up with fuel on the way home - I wiped the pump with a Clorox wipe, pumped gas, used hand sanitizer before I got back in the car.

This is a pretty level-headed explanation from a Cornell Pulm/Critical Care doc: https://vimeo.com/399733860
Yeo, thanks. Exactly what I have been told and have been hearing. Very good information about which health care workers are getting it and why and what simple and basic protective measures result in zero transmission to the health care worker. They need to play this guy on prime time instead of one of the White House or Coumo briefings.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Not to be overly dramatic but this kind of mistake can cost you your life.

You should not have been at your friends house yesterday. There is really no justification for this behavior.

Stay home and away from others, be safe.
He had zero symptoms. works from home and basically just goes out for groceries once a week like myself. I didn't stop by to eat his food or even have a drink. I stopped by to drop something off, sat at least 6' away from him for maybe 10 minutes and then left. I think that's a pretty low risk encounter.

Compare it it to this which happened at a Tampa megachurch yesterday. The attached snapshot of the congregation only shows a fraction of the full crowd. There's a video of the whole idiocy in the link attached. Really hard to believe this kind of behavior given what we know now. Gives us a clue and at least one reason this stuff keeps spreading like wildfire. A lot of people still don't think it's anything to worry about and many still think it's a hoax made up by the media.

FLORIDA CHURCH PACKED WITH WORSHIPERS.....Pastor Shuns Social Distancing

This is the clear and present danger ... people continuing to congregate -- squeezing into close quarters like sardines -- and that's exactly what happened Sunday at a Florida Church.
The River Church in Tampa was packed to the gills with worshipers who clearly were looking for hope. Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne, who presides over the megachurch and has been reportedly defiant over social distancing, has claimed he'll cure coronavirus just the way he did with Zika.
He has vowed he will never close his church ... despite every doctor and scientist saying social distancing is the only thing that will prevent the disease from spreading even more.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/29/chruc...virus-worship/

Old 03-30-2020, 04:24 AM
pascalemod
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Unless you want to see your 401k, home values and everything else, tank beyond any recognition.
They should have said this as main reason to stay home, I bet for many it would work way better than some CDC health warning (same people doing mental gymnastics with lethality rates etc).
Old 03-30-2020, 04:19 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
He had zero symptoms. works from home and basically just goes out for groceries once a week like myself. I didn't stop by to eat his food or even have a drink. I stopped by to drop something off, sat at least 6' away from him for maybe 10 minutes and then left. I think that's a pretty low risk encounter.

Compare it it to this which happened at a Tampa megachurch yesterday. The attached snapshot of the congregation only shows a fraction of the full crowd. There's a video of the whole idiocy in the link attached. Really hard to believe this kind of behavior given what we know now. Gives us a clue and at least one reason this stuff keeps spreading like wildfire. A lot of people still don't think it's anything to worry about and many still think it's a hoax made up by the media.
Why would you care, or justify your actions to anyone. You’re probably pretty smart and base your decisons on good judgement. As to those who feel a need to advise anyone on their behavior, keep in mind that social animals are Kin-selected and not Group-selected. That is, we are selfish actors when matters involve others we are not related to and it goes against our nature to put ourselves in harms way to protect or save those who do not share our DNA. Our big brain often overrides this instict for societal benefit, but its hard to supress a few million years of evolution for any significant period of time (however long that is). Its been fun thinking about something different, but alas, back to the keyboard in an effort to point out the error of my peers’ thinking on certain aspects of chelonian poikilothermy.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:37 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Why would you care, or justify your actions to anyone. You’re probably pretty smart and base your decisons on good judgement. As to those who feel a need to advise anyone on their behavior, keep in mind that social animals are Kin-selected and not Group-selected. That is, we are selfish actors when matters involve others we are not related to and it goes against our nature to put ourselves in harms way to protect or save those who do not share our DNA. Our big brain often overrides this instict for societal benefit, but its hard to supress a few million years of evolution for any significant period of time (however long that is). Its been fun thinking about something different, but alas, back to the keyboard in an effort to point out the error of my peers’ thinking on certain aspects of chelonian poikilothermy.
Tim my friend....if my car is the same color as yours and I have an MBA, why don't I understand those words LOL! I hope you're staying safe and sound....we can't afford to lose any TB people LOl!

Tom

Quick Reply: CV-----> Could Be Last Drive For A While