Sponsored by:

VF Supercharger Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 04:17 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default VF Supercharger Experience

I’ve searched extensively for a post on Rennlist from someone who has actually installed a VF Supercharger on a 997.1 3.8 engine with no success. I’d love to hear some feedback from someone with this system. I’ve read about the RUF system and almost put a TPC system on my 993, but I cant track down any read experienced user with the VF system installed. I know what everyone says about sell your car and buy a turbo, I’ve driven the turbo and it’s a great car, but I love my 997.1. I also love the idea of doing this myself and continuing to improve this car beyond what I’ve done already. If any has the knowledge I’d love to hear about the conversation or if anyone can direct me to someone who’s do it that would be great also. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:51 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

I'm still looking for someone with experience with this supercharger and setup. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2020, 09:48 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Try reading through this post.. this member may still have the car. He purchased a car from Hawaii and it had the VF Engineering supercharger in it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...new-997-a.html

Here are some words of wisdom if you plan on tracking the car. This was from a friend who owned a VF Engineering supercharged 997 many years ago.

"My "words of wisdom" on the SC only apply if you track it a lot... and hard. Because I was at the track 10-12 days a month, I started to get oil backed up into the intake. If you do an oil separator with it, I bet you'd be fine. I'd really consider that regardless, actually. The other thing is the heat that it makes at constant full throttle. It melted my Burns cat, though that shouldn't have happened regardless. Otherwise, it really adds some fun to the car. Be sure that you do a plenum and headers and an exhaust all at the same time, so VF will be aware of all the mods. Those mods really benefit too! "

You can also try reaching out to this guy in video ....

Old 03-02-2020, 10:47 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got a used kit I haven't gotten around to installing yet - it's an older version so I want to update the kit to current when I get the time and extra $$ for it. There's a Facebook group dedicated to the SCd 996/997. Lots of good info, no one there has experienced any failure! Link below!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/supercharged911s/

-Miles
Old 03-04-2020, 09:39 AM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Thank you for sharing the info above. If anyone else has experiences I'd love to hear them.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,556 Likes on 4,170 Posts

I have the RUF R-Kompressor setup so can't help you with info or input on the VF one. Anything green or yellow in the first 2 photos is part of the supercharger setup on the engine itself and a different component from stock, the most impressive ones being the aluminum intake manifolds with integrated intercooling that replace the OEM plastic Porsche ones that are painted silver to look like metal. RUF also uses the DME from a TT so they have access to the additional parameters that need to be controlled for forced induction and they lower the compression ratio of the motor for longevity. You also have to take the intake air temperature for fuel trim management after compressing the air rather than from MAF sensor where it's integrated from the factory - RUF does that with a separate sensor in the bank 2 intake manifold. You need a system for the DME to also be able to pull timing if knock or detonation is detected, which is a distinct possibility at high RPM if you don't lower the engine compression. Personally, I would not have done a supercharger setup in this car other than the one I have and would have bought a TT instead and done a RWD conversion on it.

I can tell you it's a blast to drive with the extra 125 HP, but makes certain maintenance items and repairs that would otherwise be fairly simple, much more time consuming and challenging.

For example, right now I have an intake leak from somewhere behind my alternator (smoke test found it) as it's resulting in a rich running condition. I can't locate the specific source even with a boroscope camera which means I need to remove the alternator to identify and repair it. What would be a 1 hour job on my wife's NA 997 is going to become a 2-3 day job on my car because of the supercharger belt & tensioner assembly mounted in front of the normal serpentine belt. To remove that cage, the engine needs to be lowered in the rear to remove the bottom two bolts that hold it so I can get the tensioner off as the rear engine compartment sheet metal is too close for the bolts to back out. Access to those bolts has to come from the bottom once I have the engine angle correct (lowered on the motor mount bolts or set on a transmission jack) and to gain that access from underneath, the exhaust system except for the headers has to come off. Because of the valvetronic valves on my Fabspeed exhaust, you can't move the mufflers out wide enough to get the slip fittings apart so the rear bumper has to come off. I started on this last weekend and have about 6 hours into it already and still haven't gotten to alternator removal yet

Old 03-04-2020, 05:17 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Thank you for sharing. I've read your posts on the subject, they are quite informative and I appreciate the perspective as I decide how I want to proceed.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:34 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Anyone else with a perspective on the subject?
Old 03-06-2020, 11:24 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,489 Likes on 798 Posts

I met a 997 owner who blew the engine with his supercharger twice..... be careful.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:43 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Do you know which unit he was running?
Old 03-07-2020, 03:22 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,159 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelc
I’ve searched extensively for a post on Rennlist from someone who has actually installed a VF Supercharger on a 997.1 3.8 engine with no success. I’d love to hear some feedback from someone with this system. I’ve read about the RUF system and almost put a TPC system on my 993, but I cant track down any read experienced user with the VF system installed. I know what everyone says about sell your car and buy a turbo, I’ve driven the turbo and it’s a great car, but I love my 997.1. I also love the idea of doing this myself and continuing to improve this car beyond what I’ve done already. If any has the knowledge I’d love to hear about the conversation or if anyone can direct me to someone who’s do it that would be great also. Thanks in advance.
We've helped at least a dozen rebuild their engines after putting on a supercharger/turbocharger kit on their M96/M97 engine. We have a 987.2 in the shop now that had a turbo kit on it. Customer tracked it and the engine didn't hold up to that abuse. Flat 6 Innovations is currently building the engine for that one.

I am the first to say sell your car and buy a turbo. It will be cheaper in the long run.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:46 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Thanks Charles. I've got your spin on oil filter adapter and magnetic plug in my oil pan and trans. Love those products, very high quality.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:52 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I have used centrifugal superchargers on a number of applications in the past. They function a lot like a turbocharger in that they build boost at higher rpms. For use in an engine like a Porsche, they work best with an "H" impeller, that builds boost at lower rpms. But, they are not very safe or effective unless you do a ton of supporting mods. Without mods, the best you can do is about 5 lbs of boost, which won't give you enough extra power to justify the cost.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:01 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

So I continue to read everyone's much appreciated thoughts on this modification. It seems like I might have some time in the next 60 days to spend quality time at home with my Porsche. Any more thoughts on this supercharger? I'd love to hear from some Rennlist members who've done it!
Old 03-16-2020, 01:52 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

For the cost of doing the complete installation and supporting upgrades.. you can lose a nice chunk of weight from the car, with 0 potential impact for reliability. Lets say you shot extremely low on the cost... at $14k USD all-in.. 14k worth of modifications to increase lightness would result in a car that has improved performance in every way, not just in acceleration. Carbon roof, carbon seats, carbon door panels, rear seat delete, lightweight rotors, lightweight wheels... etc. Rather than pick out one of those that I mentioned individually, taken as a weight loss initiative as a whole, this setup would make one heck of a difference in the cars handling and ability to turn as well as stop and accelerate.

Quick Reply: VF Supercharger Experience