Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 997.1 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 08:57 PM
JEHolloway
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the kind words. I was able to get receipt for IMS replacement in 2014. I wonder how long those things last. Mine has the oil feed replacement.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:03 PM
JEHolloway
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. I need to better understand the handling dynamics unique to this car. When I corner fairly rapidly under acceleration the front end behaves unexpectedly. I have not owned a rear engine car only front engine cars or mid engine MR2 30 years ago.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:09 PM
JEHolloway
Intermediate

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Make sure you locate/hang onto the new IMS serial number.
This serial number is really the only proof you have a new bearing - Lots of stories of sellers claiming they replaced IMS bearing especially in the 996 world. Even made up service receipts which are bogus.
The installed should have affixed the serial# label to the door jam or engine compartment/decklid shelf

Wow hard to believe owners would commit fraud over a $2k IMS bearing replacement. I will scrutinize the receipt and look for a serial number sticker. Fortunately it is a detailed itemized receipt from the shop. Thanks for the heads up. I've never sued anyone but for a catastrophic failure related to a false repair I think I would go after them.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:31 PM
propchef
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JEHolloway
Thanks for the reply. I need to better understand the handling dynamics unique to this car. When I corner fairly rapidly under acceleration the front end behaves unexpectedly. I have not owned a rear engine car only front engine cars or mid engine MR2 30 years ago.
I feel this. Coming from a long line of BMWs -including an M- this car is different. I had mine in hoon mode for the first time this weekend, keeping to roads I know well and driving 6/10s, with the occasional launch out of the corners. It's VERY different from the M. I had nanny interference on several occasions.

- Make sure to get your braking done before the corner. FYI: don't try trail-braking. Yet.
- When in doubt, accelerate.
- #neverlift
- the fun starts over 4k rpm

But that's just me. YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
JEHolloway (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 09:41 PM
JEHolloway
Intermediate

Originally Posted by propchef
I feel this. Coming from a long line of BMWs -including an M- this car is different. I had mine in hoon mode for the first time this weekend, keeping to roads I know well and driving 6/10s, with the occasional launch out of the corners. It's VERY different from the M. I had nanny interference on several occasions.

- Make sure to get your braking done before the corner. FYI: don't try trail-braking. Yet.
- When in doubt, accelerate.
- #neverlift
- the fun starts over 4k rpm

But that's just me. YMMV.

What is "trail braking" ?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:47 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Wow hard to believe owners would commit fraud over a $2k IMS bearing replacement. I will scrutinize the receipt and look for a serial number sticker. Fortunately it is a detailed itemized receipt from the shop. Thanks for the heads up. I've never sued anyone but for a catastrophic failure related to a false repair I think I would go after them.
There's a comical story over on the 996 Forum regarding seller who sold his car claiming the IMS was professionally replaced.
Turned out seller went to Walmart and used some sort of subpar hardware to repair the old bearing and posted long-assed thread on 996 RL forum of the DIY.
Buyer found out by reading the RL 996 Forum.
I won $100 from RL member KCattorney - I bet him the buyer wouldn't sue and buyer never did go after seller.

**BTW - How many miles on your 2005??

Old 02-05-2020, 01:38 AM
elau
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Love that color combination!!
Old 02-05-2020, 01:58 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Make sure you locate/hang onto the new IMS serial number.
This serial number is really the only proof you have a new bearing - Lots of stories of sellers claiming they replaced IMS bearing especially in the 996 world. Even made up service receipts which are bogus.
The installed should have affixed the serial# label to the door jam or engine compartment/decklid shelf
So if the replaced IMS fails, what recourse do you have with receipt and serial number in hand? Is there a warranty? If yes, for how many months or years?
Old 02-05-2020, 08:00 AM
JEHolloway
Intermediate

There's a comical story over on the 996 Forum regarding seller who sold his car claiming the IMS was professionally replaced.
Turned out seller went to Walmart and used some sort of subpar hardware to repair the old bearing and posted long-assed thread on 996 RL forum of the DIY.
Buyer found out by reading the RL 996 Forum.
I won $100 from RL member KCattorney - I bet him the buyer wouldn't sue and buyer never did go after seller.

**BTW - How many miles on your 2005??

38,500 miles.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:30 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

Couple of thoughts:

1. Start here: https://imsretrofit.com/ims-check/

2. Did Foreign Affairs do the IMS? If so and they forgot to install sticker, ask them to install. They are a reputable indie shop.

3. "When I corner fairly rapidly under acceleration the front end behaves unexpectedly." Given the vibrations you feel, you may bushing failure, making turning an issue.

4. If you have the ims solution (oil line) it will be visible under car:
http://www.revolution-porsche.co.uk/...e-ims-solution

If you make to Cars and Coffee in West Palm this Sunday, look for a guy with a white poodle (me!)
The following users liked this post:
JEHolloway (02-06-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 12:16 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
So if the replaced IMS fails, what recourse do you have with receipt and serial number in hand? Is there a warranty? If yes, for how many months or years?
During my 5 years of 996 ownership and active in 996 RL Forum, I've never heard of the LN Bearing replacement failing?
Having receipt and serial# are evidence of replaced bearing and not seller BS.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:40 PM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Enjoy it man. When it comes time for such a repair ("ims") just do the clutch and you will be golden for the next century.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:45 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

38,500 miles.
Any paperwork on clutch being replaced? Is/was RMS leaking which is common? Any paperwork for either?
If you do not locate the IMS serial# paperwork, and since your car has relatively low miles and sort of in the "pocket" for being prone to bearing failure, I would research if it is the early engine which is more prone to IMS failure.
If your car is the early model with the smaller replaceable bearing, and if you plan to keep it long term, because it is such a beauty with rare color and low miles, I wouldn't hesitate to drop the tranny and replace RMS, IMS, new clutch, waterpump and inspect flywheel.

When I replaced my 996C4S IMS bearing, my Porsche indy purchased the bearing directly thru LN Engineering. I think the price at that time was $740
My source for excellent parts such as clutch, waterpump, flywheel, thermostat and best prices/best shipping is Rennpart
They are a sponsor and have great customer service and customer care. Treated like royalty.

Please keep us posted on whether you do locate the service record with the IMS bearing serial#

Old 02-05-2020, 01:02 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

BTW, I was curious who the RL member was who had Posted his DIY walmart inspired $165 IMS Bearing replacement
It was old RL member KrazyK - I see he deleted all of his posts within the thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-thread-2.html
**The thread is worth the read - I'm gonna re-read it. I think I remember contributing a post a photo of a monkey working on his car.
Also, it may have been a different thread where the craziness got nutty.

*Here's the buyers Post on RL when engine imploded:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ong-story.html

Those were fun times in the 996 Forum back in 2013.
I forgotten whether the engine actually grenaded or just that buyer found out repair wasn't professionally performed as described by seller.
Watching KrazyK trying to dig himself out of a deep hole after BS'ing the buyer of his car was so entertaining.

Those days in the 996 Forum got nutty. As a matter of fact the RL Moderators were getting fed up with all the BS that finally one RL member setup his own 996 Webforum called "996Outpost"
Doesn't even get close to RL but just goes to show how out of control things can get

Old 02-05-2020, 02:48 PM
JEHolloway
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mjposner
Couple of thoughts:

1. Start here: https://imsretrofit.com/ims-check/

2. Did Foreign Affairs do the IMS? If so and they forgot to install sticker, ask them to install. They are a reputable indie shop.

3. "When I corner fairly rapidly under acceleration the front end behaves unexpectedly." Given the vibrations you feel, you may bushing failure, making turning an issue.

4. If you have the ims solution (oil line) it will be visible under car:
http://www.revolution-porsche.co.uk/...e-ims-solution

If you make to Cars and Coffee in West Palm this Sunday, look for a guy with a white poodle (me!)

Tuner Mall did the IMS with oil feed. I called and verified by the VIN number. It was done in 2014 for $2089.00. This corresponded to my receipt.

Foreign Affairs Motorsport is correcting the warped front rotors by replacing pads and rotors for 950.00. I took it there because they have been maintaining the car from 2016.

I will ask them to inspect Bushings for evidence of failure.

Where exactly and when is the cars and coffee in WPB?

PS. Great suggestions. Thanks for looking after me. I need adult supervision 😊

Quick Reply: New 997.1 Owner