Sponsored by:

DME report from my 2008 997.1 Carrera S -BONKERS-

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 10:56 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Yep, I found his DME report. Porsche covered it CPO with 176 range 6s and 613 range 5s.
The main reason a 6 would scare me is you don't know how high it actually went unless it was very few rotations, then you can speculate or surmise.
Guys, stop being internet nerds, spreading internet lore and getting all worked up over silly shyte. Its a sports car. a few range 4 or 5 more than 100 hours ago, who cares. That would scare me far less than bore scoring in a M97.
All this is even more of a joke if those making a huge deal about over revs are purchasing lower priced or bottom feeder cars to begin with
Tracking, I can see both sides of that and would probably not want to pay top dollar for cars I have heavily tracked throughout the years. Heavy track time could take more of a toll than a few range 4s, 5s or lower range 6s.
Over rev subject doesn't come up with aircooled cars and not much chatter in 996 forum when I owned a few 996C4S's.
I got concerned about over revs before my 997 purchase 4 years ago because it was broadcasted so loud on the 997 forum. PPI DME over rev reports on my 1st 2 997's had no range 4, 5 or 6 over revs.
When I had my current 2007 997S PPI DME report performed, it showed 1 over rev in range 4, 1 in range 5 and 1 in range 6.
The range 4 happened at 1300 hours - The range 5 & 6 over revs happened at 90 hours and car currently has 1890 hours.
I posted the over rev report to the 997 forum prior to my purchase. Everyone gave me the green light and said the report looked fine.
Even my mechanic told me that the 5 & 6 over revs could have been a glitch in system or battery change can sometimes be attributed to an over rev.

I am now completely confused by one of the posts above - How can an over rev report showing 613 range 5's & 176 range 6's be considered "fine"??
It would seem to me that a car with that sort of report would be indication of track or road beating taking car to and past redline on regular basis.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:06 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Over rev subject doesn't come up with aircooled cars and not much chatter in 996 forum when I owned a few 996C4S's.
I got concerned about over revs before my 997 purchase 4 years ago because it was broadcasted so loud on the 997 forum. PPI DME over rev reports on my 1st 2 997's had no range 4, 5 or 6 over revs.
When I had my current 2007 997S PPI DME report performed, it showed 1 over rev in range 4, 1 in range 5 and 1 in range 6.
The range 4 happened at 1300 hours - The range 5 & 6 over revs happened at 90 hours and car currently has 1890 hours.
I posted the over rev report to the 997 forum prior to my purchase. Everyone gave me the green light and said the report looked fine.
Even my mechanic told me that the 5 & 6 over revs could have been a glitch in system or battery change can sometimes be attributed to an over rev.

I am now completely confused by one of the posts above - How can an over rev report showing 613 range 5's & 176 range 6's be considered "fine"??
It would seem to me that a car with that sort of report would be indication of track or road beating taking car to and past redline on regular basis.

Is clearly a money shift.

This guys DME report is in the 997s for sale thread and his car was discussed quiet a bit. He ended up purchasing the car. It was a CPO, but the over shifts were pretty dang old.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:08 AM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I generally wouldn't buy a car that was tracked. One track day, sure, many times, no. I just don't choose to hit redline driving on the street, so I wouldn't buy a car with many over revs at all. I dont downshift on the street at 5-6k rpm, doesn't seem to be necessary to drive fluidly at a good pace. I won't abuse 1st gear and take it to 6-7k rpm. Whether that's abuse is opinion I know, but it is harder on transmission, I think most would agree. I'm not a 0-60 kind of person. Driving fast and controlled in the twisties for me doesn't require redline or potential over revs. A DME is like a screening test. Maybe it's less mportant to someone putting 2-5k miles a year on their car.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:09 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Maybe if you are a drag racer type cruising down the highway and need to drop gears quickly to drag race someone . . . .

What factory racers are saying that about manual being better on a race track because you can skip gears. I would think most are using sequential. I love sequential and downshifting into long braking zones where a gear might be skipped is not a challenge in the least and perhaps the easiest part of navigating a highspeed, long braking zone into a hair pin or very tight corner. Sequential is way better than manual for race track.

Even with pdk, just give it a couple of little taps on the paddle or put it in auto if that too difficult for you and it will down shift every bit as quickly and smoothly as a manual in a long braking zone where you actually might downshift more than one gear which are not super common on a race course.

The pdk will actually be quicker and more appropriately timed in a long braking zone where more than one downshift occurs. Sounds like someone was stretching for something to say in making that comment you picked up on.
Maybe, but there wasn't any reason for them to stretch for an answer. They were asked an open ended question at a Porschplatz Meet the driver's and that's the one thing they said about the benefit of a true manual gearbox. I don't remember which one made the statement, but the others were nodding in agreement when he did. It was the group of Patrick Pilet, Earl Bamber, etc at Road Atlanta.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that a sequential PDK is faster around the track, including me.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:16 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I don't know what to believe or think on this issue anymore. It's clearly a big concern of buyers of these cars. How many threads have you seen with titles along the line of "Help with DME report" ?

And I can see why the concern. The 6-speed thread linked to below is old but shows how DME readings can put 997 owners in really bad positions. Maybe depending on the dealer they're working with but clearly, it's not a cut and dried, no discussion issue but instead a matter of interpretation where the dealer has the upper hand. And as long as this "well, maybe DME range this or range that matters or not" continues, buyers will be wary.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-warranty.html
There is a difference between a dealer denying a warranty claim shortly after a serious over rev and Porsche be willing to CPO a car with over revs that occurred 100 hours or more prior to the certification process.

RE: Warranty claims

Here is the reality on this. If you cheap out and o all of your own services to save a few $$$ and have no relationship with a dealer, you may get hassled or denied on a warranty claim for something picky like this or showing up with an transmission or engine problem shortly after an over rev or missed shift.

I personally have had dealers step up for me and get stuff covered that had some serious over revs. There was some initial push back by the regional warranty rep (Porsche and Lotus to be exact), but I have had engines and transmissions covered by factory warranties that occurred shortly after over revs. Dealers went to bat for me and Porsche considers whether you have a long standing relationship with the brand and the dealer requesting coverage.

RE: CPO

They will apparently cover range 4, 5 and 6s if 100 or more hours (look back at cars for sale thread around late October or November to be sure as the info came from Porsche, not me), but if you money shift that sucker a month after purchasing it CPO and you log some more over revs, Porsche may hassle you on the warranty claim. They will not hassle you or deny your claims based on the over revs logged prior to the CPO sale.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914
Maybe, but there wasn't any reason for them to stretch for an answer. They were asked an open ended question at a Porschplatz Meet the driver's and that's the one thing they said about the benefit of a true manual gearbox. I don't remember which one made the statement, but the others were nodding in agreement when he did. It was the group of Patrick Pilet, Earl Bamber, etc at Road Atlanta.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that a sequential PDK is faster around the track, including me.
Sounds like a fun event.

I was confused by the implication about faster shifting skipping a gear from racers which seems to me to be completely a non-issue on a road course or race track. Perhaps in street racing in a straight line on a public highway. I cannot think of any situation on a road course unless someone messed up and upshifted one too many times or came out of a turn in a really wrong gear.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
I generally wouldn't buy a car that was tracked. One track day, sure, many times, no. I just don't choose to hit redline driving on the street, so I wouldn't buy a car with many over revs at all. I dont downshift on the street at 5-6k rpm, doesn't seem to be necessary to drive fluidly at a good pace. I won't abuse 1st gear and take it to 6-7k rpm. Whether that's abuse is opinion I know, but it is harder on transmission, I think most would agree. I'm not a 0-60 kind of person. Driving fast and controlled in the twisties for me doesn't require redline or potential over revs. A DME is like a screening test. Maybe it's less mportant to someone putting 2-5k miles a year on their car.
Unfortunately, the GTS comes on cam or something at around 6.4k rpms and it sound so good you cannot help but to stay at or near the red line.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:02 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

Unfortunately, the GTS comes on cam or something at around 6.4k rpms and it sound so good you cannot help but to stay at or near the red line.
YES!
Old 01-13-2020, 03:21 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I'll add to the confusion by referring to my earlier post on this thread where an owner of a CPO car was denied coverage due to recent over revs in the 1-3 range. So 613 hits in the 5 range and 176 in the 6 range is fine for some but for others, revs in the 1-3 range basically voids the CPO coverage. Petza's point that the relationship with the dealership is important is well taken but it seems a bit over the top that the dealer can pick and choose at their discretion which customer gets to play fast and loose with the CPO rules while others get hosed with slight over revs.
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 03:36 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I'll add to the confusion by referring to my earlier post on this thread where an owner of a CPO car was denied coverage due to recent over revs in the 1-3 range. So 613 hits in the 5 range and 176 in the 6 range is fine for some but for others, revs in the 1-3 range basically voids the CPO coverage. Petza's point that the relationship with the dealership is important is well taken but it seems a bit over the top that the dealer can pick and choose at their discretion which customer gets to play fast and loose with the CPO rules while others get hosed with slight over revs.
I think that was my post about dealer relationships.

I have literally had 6 figures in good will covered items including warranty claims where there has been evidence of abuse, really bad abuse in one car. The vast majority of that is where dealers went to bat for me hard. I think dealers have some allocated good will they can spread around, but don’t know that to be fact.

Yeah, I would be pissed about denied warranty on range 1-3s. There HAS to be more to that story and we are only hearing one side of it.

Again, there is a difference between what they will cover with a CPO and what drives a denial after the CPO. If the range 5 or 6 overrevs were over 100 hours ago, they can CPO the car. If you drive that CPO out off the lot and five miles down the road hit a range 5 or 6 and the engine throws a rod through the block, they can deny based on abuse.

Now if you money shift it and 101 hours later the engine let’s go, that would be interesting, but they could still deny claim based on abuse.

Whether they will cover it CPO or deny the claim is not the same even though it’s sounds as if it’s the same.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:02 PM
snosk8luke
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdeezy
Well, probably 95 out of every 100 newer 911’s sold across the world change hands without a dme report.
Accurate.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:12 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I've hit 4 ignitions in Range 4 by an overly aggressive blip to the throttle during a Heel Toe maneuver.
Originally Posted by bgoetz
Maybe the whole DME thing is somewhat BS and there really is no explanation outside of that.

Like I said I personally knew the owner of my car and participated in DE events with him, I had a couple of 3s and 4s that lined up perfectly with a DE event we both attended and pitted together at a few months prior. During that event there was zero mention of any misshift on his end and when asked specifically about it upon reading the DME before buying the car he indicated the same (I trust him).

I then pulled the DME after a few months of my ownership and attending a DE event where I am 100% certain I never misshifted and I had several new range 3s indicated.

I can’t tell you why, but those are the facts.
Call it what you will, but these are money shifts as well. The blip will not cause the over rev. Engaging the gear too soon during the heel toe will cause the over rev.

Last edited by Doug H; 03-26-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:16 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Call it what you will, but these are money shifts as well. The blip will not cause the over rev. Engaging the gear too soon during the heel toe will cause the over rev.

Sorry, but you are just not correct. In my case I didn't let out the clutch. I was coming down the back straight at thunderhill. It was wet out from rain the night before. I kept sport mode off so the throttle was less twitchy around corners in the wet. I went to downshift but the reaction time of the throttle was to little and too late due to not being in sport mode. I blipped it again with too much vigor and watched the needle soar. I didn't let out the clutch and ended up pulling in, exit is at the end of that straight, and scanning the DME.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:38 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Sorry, but you are just not correct. In my case I didn't let out the clutch. I was coming down the back straight at thunderhill. It was wet out from rain the night before. I kept sport mode off so the throttle was less twitchy around corners in the wet. I went to downshift but the reaction time of the throttle was to little and too late due to not being in sport mode. I blipped it again with too much vigor and watched the needle soar. I didn't let out the clutch and ended up pulling in, exit is at the end of that straight, and scanning the DME.
So you are saying you over reved to range 4 blipping the throttle with the clutch in? Perhaps the over rev occurred somewhere else in same lap which is much more plausible/possible than hitting range 4 with no load pushing it there.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:49 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

So you are saying you over reved to range 4 blipping the throttle with the clutch in? Perhaps the over rev occurred somewhere else in same lap which is much more plausible/possible than hitting range 4 with no load pushing it there.

I'm telling you what happened. It defies what we thought about these things but Clutch in I saw the needle soar to around 8k. I don't recommend trying it yourself to find out.
It didn't happen elsewhere. I'm actually pretty conservative on the track with shifting since it's a .1 car. I short shift where I can and usually upshift around 6k. It costs me time but saves me piece of mind from the engine's shortcomings and it's not a race anyways.

Quick Reply: DME report from my 2008 997.1 Carrera S -BONKERS-