Sponsored by:

Good multi-year UOA

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 09:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts
Default Good multi-year UOA

See below a multi-year UOA. This past year oil is Liqui Moly. Previous years, Motul.

The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 11:22 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

DId you add some kind of additive to get the moly at 291? I also ran this exact same oil and moly measured right at 1 as this oil doesn't contain any moly. I also noticed your silicon is at at 4 which rivals mine. I did a UOA on Motul and Mobil 1 in which silicon both measured at 2 for me. Im going back to Motul or Redline.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:17 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aaks38
DId you add some kind of additive to get the moly at 291? I also ran this exact same oil and moly measured right at 1 as this oil doesn't contain any moly. I also noticed your silicon is at at 4 which rivals mine. I did a UOA on Motul and Mobil 1 in which silicon both measured at 2 for me. Im going back to Motul or Redline.
Si at 4 is fine. Molybdenum is up (as it should) because the oil contains molybdenum.

Last edited by ADias; 12-31-2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: correct source of moly
Old 12-31-2019, 12:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,330 Likes on 4,032 Posts

Nice trend data there, especially the metals. I prefer higher Zinc & Phosphorous levels (over 1,000 ppm of both), but otherwise looks pretty good. With this being a DFI motor, keep an eye on fuel dilution and if you see greater than TR amounts, maybe consider renewing your fuel injectors.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,395 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Although very low, why did aluminum go up?

For those low miles, <2,700, why are the viscosity numbers near the low end of the range?
Old 12-31-2019, 01:00 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Si at 4 is fine. Molybdnenum is up (as it should) because I add Ceratec,
I have a bottle of Certatec in my garage. I’m flip flopping on adding it in the spring. How log have you used it? Are you happy with it?
Old 12-31-2019, 01:06 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I added Ceratec to Motul Xcess at my last change and planning to do a UOA at the next change, but begin adding the Liqui Moly additive at that time. I'll do another UOA after that, but does it make sense to keep adding The Liqui Mo;y at each change?
Old 12-31-2019, 01:16 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by KLS
I added Ceratec to Motul Xcess at my last change and planning to do a UOA at the next change, but begin adding the Liqui Moly additive at that time. I'll do another UOA after that, but does it make sense to keep adding The Liqui Mo;y at each change?
I read that Ceratec is 30k miles. Mos2 is every change.

I use Liqui Moly oil for my fill. My plan is to change over to the Molygen next fill which is premixed. Not exactly sure if given that plan I should skip Ceratec and maybe go with Mos2
Old 12-31-2019, 02:17 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LexVan
Although very low, why did aluminum go up?

For those low miles, <2,700, why are the viscosity numbers near the low end of the range?
Al did not go up - it is on a range.

Viscosity is perfect.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:32 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,395 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Al did not go up - it is on a range.

Viscosity is perfect.
Your prior aluminum was 1. Now it's 3. It went up. Why? It's low, but why did it move higher.

You want to see your wear metals "freeze ", neither going up or down.

At only 2,600 miles on the OCI your oil viscosities are sheering down to the low end of the range for a 5W40. Why? It's better than the classic Mobil 0W40 sheeting, but only slightly.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LexVan
Your prior aluminum was 1. Now it's 3. It went up. Why? It's low, but why did it move higher.

You want to see your wear metals "freeze ", neither going up or down.

At only 2,600 miles on the OCI your oil viscosities are sheering down to the low end of the range for a 5W40. Why? It's better than the classic Mobil 0W40 sheeting, but only slightly.
UOA measurements show ranges. No specific measurement have absolute meaning. Al was 3 before it read 1. Al is fine. Viscosity is fine.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It seems like the anti wear additive package in your oil is breaking down prematurely. I'm pretty sure the Motul xcess 8100 (if that's the one you were using) has higher levels of ZDDP in it's virgin form and it's being reduced quickly in not very many miles (less than 3,000 per change). Do you have a manometer you can hook up and take a reading? Im curious what the number is based on the UOA results I see here. I don't know the virgin numbers for the latest oil you're using so don't know that ZDDP numbers for it start at, but as I mentioned, the levels are lower than what I think they should ideally be.

Here's a UOA from my wife's car using Motul xcess. We how Zinc and Phosphorous are both usually over 1,000 ppm even with 1,000 more miles on the oil than your change interval.

The Driven DT40 I switched to holds up even better - note those last 2 samples and the viscosity and ZDDP numbers.

The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 04:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914
It seems like the anti wear additive package in your oil is breaking down prematurely. I'm pretty sure the Motul xcess 8100 (if that's the one you were using) has higher levels of ZDDP in it's virgin form and it's being reduced quickly in not very many miles (less than 3,000 per change). Do you have a manometer you can hook up and take a reading? Im curious what the number is based on the UOA results I see here. I don't know the virgin numbers for the latest oil you're using so don't know that ZDDP numbers for it start at, but as I mentioned, the levels are lower than what I think they should ideally be.

Here's a UOA from my wife's car using Motul xcess. We how Zinc and Phosphorous are both usually over 1,000 ppm even with 1,000 more miles on the oil than your change interval.

The Driven DT40 I switched to holds up even better - note those last 2 samples and the viscosity and ZDDP numbers.

On post #4 you liked the results, and now you do not?

My engine's measurements are fine. I moved from ZDDP to moly and ceratec. You use Driven, I use LM. All is good!
Old 12-31-2019, 06:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

On post #4 you liked the results, and now you do not?

My engine's measurements are fine. I moved from ZDDP to moly and ceratec. You use Driven, I use LM. All is good!
I liked (and still do) the wear metal numbers, but don't have any experience with LM oils and UOA from them or know what the virgin samples should look like. Went back and looked at the Motul numbers where I did have my own direct comparison to evaluate them against and didn't like those Zinc & Phosphorous numbers as much. When I look at those at 3,000 miles and the fuel dilution numbers, I'm concerned about engine wear (thus the manometer recommendation) and why the additive package numbers are lower than mine with fewer miles.

If your comfortable with everything, just keep watching the numbers, but getting a manometer reading wouldn't hurt.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914
I liked (and still do) the wear metal numbers, but don't have any experience with LM oils and UOA from them or know what the virgin samples should look like. Went back and looked at the Motul numbers where I did have my own direct comparison to evaluate them against and didn't like those Zinc & Phosphorous numbers as much. When I look at those at 3,000 miles and the fuel dilution numbers, I'm concerned about engine wear (thus the manometer recommendation) and why the additive package numbers are lower than mine with fewer miles.

If your comfortable with everything, just keep watching the numbers, but getting a manometer reading wouldn't hurt.
FYI... Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 was only in the last year (sample). All others are Motul 8100 Xcess 5W40. Yes, Motul has slightly more ZDDP, but no molybdenum; the moly readings seen with Motul samples are due to adding LM MoS2. Liqui Moly oils are rated No. 1 in Germany and routinely used in motorsports, with a solid reputation re their oil stocks and additive packages. I think that the anti-wear package is moving away from ZDDP. Molybdenum being a solid lubricant which attaches well to metal surfaces is a good thing, especially to protect cold starts.

Quick Reply: Good multi-year UOA