Good multi-year UOA

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 07:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,601 Likes on 4,197 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
FYI... Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 was only in the last year (sample). All others are Motul 8100 Xcess 5W40. Yes, Motul has slightly more ZDDP, but no molybdenum; the moly readings seen with Motul samples are due to adding LM MoS2. Liqui Moly oils are rated No. 1 in Germany and routinely used in motorsports, with a solid reputation re their oil stocks and additive packages. I think that the anti-wear package is moving away from ZDDP. Molybdenum being a solid lubricant which attaches well to metal surfaces is a good thing, especially to protect cold starts.
Yes, I understood that from your initial post. What I was looking at was your Motul ZDDP numbers vs my Motul ZDDP numbers. With 1,000 miles more on mine per oil change, my numbers are still better, so my concern is why the anti wear properties in your oil is disappearing faster than in my samples when using the same oil. That can be (not necessarily is) an indication of engine wear.

I understand your comment about ZDDP being replaced by moly in the newer oils. I prefer to have both (all 3) which is why I use the Driven DT40 oil where I don't have to add anything foreign to it.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:30 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yes, I understood that from your initial post. What I was looking at was your Motul ZDDP numbers vs my Motul ZDDP numbers. With 1,000 miles more on mine per oil change, my numbers are still better, so my concern is why the anti wear properties in your oil is disappearing faster than in my samples when using the same oil. That can be (not necessarily is) an indication of engine wear.

I understand your comment about ZDDP being replaced by moly in the newer oils. I prefer to have both (all 3) which is why I use the Driven DT40 oil where I don't have to add anything foreign to it.
Where do you source your DT40 oil?

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Where do you source your DT40 oil?

Thanks.
Summit Racing (next day ground delivery from their GA warehouse) or LN Engineering.

The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 10:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

I checked Driven's site and could not find a single document with specifications of their DI-40/DT-40 products. No ratings/manufacturer's approvals/standards compliance, nothing.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:17 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I checked Driven's site and could not find a single document with specifications of their DI-40/DT-40 products. No ratings/manufacturer's approvals/standards compliance, nothing.
Nope, as a boutique manufacturer that started out as a private race team (Joe Gibbs Racing), they don't submit their oils to the accreditation companies. I started using it on the recommendation of Jake Raby and Charles Navarro and the UOA reports backed up their claims so i stayed with it.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914
Nope, as a boutique manufacturer that started out as a private race team (Joe Gibbs Racing), they don't submit their oils to the accreditation companies. I started using it on the recommendation of Jake Raby and Charles Navarro and the UOA reports backed up their claims so i stayed with it.
Thanks! I subscribe to standards and widely vetted companies. No one will go wrong with Liqui Moly, Motul, Total and even Mobil. Even smaller oil makers like Amsoil issue specs and are vetted. Anything other that that is hearsay or... a cult.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:16 AM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 80 Posts

You can always look at the SPEEDiagnostix site and their New Oil Analysis page(several oils) for information on theirs(and others) addititve packages.
https://www.speediagnostix.com/new-o...acing-oil-dt40

https://www.speediagnostix.com/new-oil-analysis-results

I still use LiquiMoly in my VWs and have for many years. And did so with my '06 C2S, until the last year and then changed to DT-40. I still feel pretty good about the LM oils though.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:28 AM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Adias you do realize the LM 5w-40 does not contain Moly in its additive package? I have a UOA to prove this, this was also discussed on the Bob is the oil guy forum, you have to add ceramic or Mos2 to get any Moly in your reading. As Petza noted, I also had worse fuel dilution readings with the LM 5w-40 compared to any other oil ive used (Mobil, Castrol, Motul). I personally won't ever use this oil again as this oil just barely holds up to a 3k interval. The only reason its popular in Germany is that its much cheaper than Castrol and Mobil, which is the opposite case for the US.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:33 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aaks38
Adias you do realize the LM 5w-40 does not contain Moly in its additive package? I have a UOA to prove this, this was also discussed on the Bob is the oil guy forum, you have to add ceramic or Mos2 to get any Moly in your reading. As Petza noted, I also had worse fuel dilution readings with the LM 5w-40 compared to any other oil ive used (Mobil, Castrol, Motul). I personally won't ever use this oil again as this oil just barely holds up to a 3k interval. The only reason its popular in Germany is that its much cheaper than Castrol and Mobil, which is the opposite case for the US.
Fuel dilution is related to the way you use your car... Assuming your engine has no issues, start yoir engine and drive, do not idle.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:27 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by aaks38
So you’re saying LM has no moly in the oil itself? Do you have a link or UOA that you can share to support your claim?
Old 01-01-2020, 02:38 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
So you’re saying LM has no moly in the oil itself? Do you have a link or UOA that you can share to support your claim?
LM has around five different variants. I believe only molygen has a moly additive in it. Otherwise you add Mos2 or Ceratec.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:24 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TopKatz
LM has around five different variants. I believe only molygen has a moly additive in it. Otherwise you add Mos2 or Ceratec.
Im guessing this is just known? Like it’s by design? Glad you guys told me. Make me happy I’m rockin DT40. I’m curious to see what my UOA looks like with the DT40. Like others here, the Motul UOA had no moly
Old 01-01-2020, 03:53 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't want to threadcrap Adias post, but since Snaphappy asked, This is my report with the LM 5w40 Leightlauf which has no moly, well 1,after 2.6k drain interval. As you can see compared to a prior M1 0w40 which I ran for 8k, the M1 actually has more additives and I would trust that over the LM for longer drain intervals..
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PORSCHE-190111 copy.pdf (59.5 KB, 145 views)
Old 01-01-2020, 05:58 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks! I subscribe to standards and widely vetted companies. No one will go wrong with Liqui Moly, Motul, Total and even Mobil. Even smaller oil makers like Amsoil issue specs and are vetted. Anything other that that is hearsay or... a cult.

Driven is a great oil and I have tested many in my track car with UOAs and none have held up nearly as well to the abuse including Motul, Amsoil, and Liqui Moly. I personally order it by the case and use it in both my track car and 911. I know lots of others who have had similar success.

Although, I don’t think you really posted looking for anyone’s opinion, you seem to know it all.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Driven is a great oil and I have tested many in my track car with UOAs and none have held up nearly as well to the abuse including Motul, Amsoil, and Liqui Moly. I personally order it by the case and use it in both my track car and 911. I know lots of others who have had similar success.

Although, I don’t think you really posted looking for anyone’s opinion, you seem to know it all.
I try to learn about what is documented. Hearsay is not knowing.

Quick Reply: Good multi-year UOA