Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 Porsche A40

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 03:11 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I started with Motul 8100, now I’m trying DT40. I bought enough DT40 that I’ll use it for three oil changes.

But after that, I might go back to Motul or maybe even 5W Mobil 1 and here’s why. I’m thinking of changing the oil every 2-3000 miles. If you change it that frequently no oil is going to break down. Short trips and cold temperatures become less of an issue. Just takes a lot of worry out of the situation.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:18 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
I started with Motul 8100, now I’m trying DT40. I bought enough DT40 that I’ll use it for three oil changes.

But after that, I might go back to Motul or maybe even 5W Mobil 1 and here’s why. I’m thinking of changing the oil every 2-3000 miles. If you change it that frequently no oil is going to break down. Short trips and cold temperatures become less of an issue. Just takes a lot of worry out of the situation.
Yes but DT40 holds up better at higher temps. According to Ln.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:38 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

Anyone use Mobil 1 5W-50 in their 997.1? Just curious as this is also A40 approved by Porsche.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:38 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, I use Mobil 1 5W-50 and with 47,000 miles burns no oil between 4,000-5,000 mile changes and perfect Blackstone results. I believe the high zinc is critical especially in my air cooled 993 where I use Mobil 1 V-Twin.
The following users liked this post:
Carreralicious (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 04:52 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hilltopper
Yes, I use Mobil 1 5W-50 and with 47,000 miles burns no oil between 4,000-5,000 mile changes and perfect Blackstone results. I believe the high zinc is critical especially in my air cooled 993 where I use Mobil 1 V-Twin.
Thanks. Do you live in a hot climate area of the country though?
Old 01-03-2020, 05:16 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

997.1 is stored for the winter in my North Carolina Summer home and will be fired up next May and put away next October, 993 just opposite and stored for the Summer in my Florida Winter home. Out in October and put away in May. I lived in Vermont and the 997.1 had very limited early cold weather miles but lower viscosity Mobil 1.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:45 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hilltopper
997.1 is stored for the winter in my North Carolina Summer home and will be fired up next May and put away next October, 993 just opposite and stored for the Summer in my Florida Winter home. Out in October and put away in May. I lived in Vermont and the 997.1 had very limited early cold weather miles but lower viscosity Mobil 1.
Ok, makes sense then. I’m not sure if the 5w-50 would be good in my case being that I use the car all year round up here in NJ.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:09 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Yup don't use!
Old 01-04-2020, 08:36 AM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Just watched this DIY oil change on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1ICfIJQOwE

Never changed the oil myself in my 997's. Not sure why since it looks ridiculously simple but probably because they've all been H&R lowered and there's no way I can get underneath that oil pan and access the drain plug no matter what the guy in the video says. Picked up 12 qts.of Mobil 1 0-40 at BJ's for $69 and the filter from Suncoast for $36. So now I just have to find a way to get underneath the car. Don't have a lift so all I can think is backing it up on ramps. How important are the torque numbers he's talking about in the video for the drain plug and the filter housing? Nice and tight won't suffice?
Ramps will be fine and I find that I use them more often for things I don't need wheels off for.

As for torque #'s, just get a cheap torque wrench from Harbor Freight and don't take the risk.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:58 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by mujeriega
Ramps will be fine and I find that I use them more often for things I don't need wheels off for.

As for torque #'s, just get a cheap torque wrench from Harbor Freight and don't take the risk.
Good advice. Already found one but didn't buy it yet. Reason why is that I'm trying to find out if I also have to buy the Durametric tool to reset the "change oil" or whatever the prompt on the dash says. Hasn't come on yet but suspect it will if I do the change myself even if I do it early. So adding up to a lot of stuff to buy which makes me wonder if it's really worth it. As I said, I bought 12 quarts of Mobil 1 0-40W for $69 at BJ's and the filter kit from Suncoast for $36. My indy will charge me an hour's worth of labor so about $200 out the door and he has the Durametric to reset. That's $100 less than the dealership total. A dealership I'm having some issues with now nonetheless.

No, what I'm considering won't give me the satisfaction of having done it myself but I'm busy with work now and it would save me a lot of hassle. Maybe next time.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:25 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Good advice. Already found one but didn't buy it yet. Reason why is that I'm trying to find out if I also have to buy the Durametric tool to reset the "change oil" or whatever the prompt on the dash says. Hasn't come on yet but suspect it will if I do the change myself even if I do it early. So adding up to a lot of stuff to buy which makes me wonder if it's really worth it. As I said, I bought 12 quarts of Mobil 1 0-40W for $69 at BJ's and the filter kit from Suncoast for $36. My indy will charge me an hour's worth of labor so about $200 out the door and he has the Durametric to reset. That's $100 less than the dealership total. A dealership I'm having some issues with now nonetheless.

No, what I'm considering won't give me the satisfaction of having done it myself but I'm busy with work now and it would save me a lot of hassle. Maybe next time.
BTW, Oil filter kit is available for much less even on Suncoast - why was yours $36? Mobil 0w-40 is also available for much cheaper at Costco (12qt - $56 I think)
Ramps/Jack+Stands and other tools you buy for an oil change will payoff in 2-3 changes. So you can start anytime
Old 01-06-2020, 02:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
BTW, Oil filter kit is available for much less even on Suncoast - why was yours $36? Mobil 0w-40 is also available for much cheaper at Costco (12qt - $56 I think)
Ramps/Jack+Stands and other tools you buy for an oil change will payoff in 2-3 changes. So you can start anytime
I know I can save about $10 on the oil at Costco vs. BJ's. Problem is, BJ's is about 2 miles from my house and the nearest Costco about 15 miles. So I just can't add it all up where it makes sense to buy a Costco membership for a store that's 15 miles away when I already have memberships at Sam's club and BJ's that are both about 10 minutes away just to save $10 on oil once a year. Everything else seems to be priced about the same.

As for the filter kit from Suncoast, this is what they offer online: https://www.suncoastporsche.com/suncoast-parts.htm Today the filter kit is $23 and last week when I ordered mine the exact same thing was $36. Go figure.

Will probably get the tools needed to do this myself since as you said they will pay for themselves in short order. I think it was Bruce who said you don't even need ramps. Just jack it up high enough on the left side where you can access the drain plug. Put the pan underneath it and then lower the car to normal allowing the oil to drain. Still wondering if I need to buy the Durametric tool to reset the "oil change due" or whatever it says on the dash. Don't really want that in my face year around.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:48 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 730 Likes on 457 Posts

.... Now it turns out I need to buy a torque wrench, a 36mm axle nut and something to get the car elevated somehow just to change oil. ..r.
You are busy at work, you don't want to crawl around under the car, and you don't own a torque wrench, I think it is best to leave the oil change to the mechanic.

Most of us gearhead look forward to buying a torque wrench. I buy them just for the hell of it. I have 12 torque wrenches.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:16 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

IStill wondering if I need to buy the Durametric tool to reset the "oil change due" or whatever it says on the dash. Don't really want that in my face year around.
You can get a Carsoft POR V2.0 or several other scan tools for Porsche's that will do the job... no need for Durametric just to reset maintenance reminder.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:38 PM
Redrag
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
Ok, makes sense then. I’m not sure if the 5w-50 would be good in my case being that I use the car all year round up here in NJ.
Think I might make the change from Mobil 1 0w-40 to Mobil 1 5w-50. Might do a few DE days and the added protection could be nice. Here is a page from my owners manual on the viscosity range.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Porsche A40