Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 03:16 PM
coquette
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
My Macan's transmission is currently being replaced. The new (used) transmission is in and car assembled. The independent shop relayed that they just have to code the replacement transmission with the existing mechatronics. They're worried this may be an issue and hoping i wont need to replace the mechatronics if the coding is unsuccessful.
In order to prevent needing a new mechatronics, is it the TCU or ECU that needs to be coded/programmed? I know nothing about cars but I try to look on here to see if i can give them tips occasionally.

Originally Posted by t-design
Reinstalling TCU software would be next step. Some people here above mentioned it's possible
Originally Posted by amet
we had to do the full ECU programming to get one car back on the road, ECU programming will program the TCU as well as some other components, instrument cluster was one of them.

We did the automatic programming, but make sure you have the 40A charger attached to the car as the engine should not be running.

do all this at your own risk
Old 09-23-2022, 03:16 PM
DBAMF
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toddlamb
There are quite a bit of connector pin and wiring issues to check along with replacing parts, in our experience. I would be sure to check all of that as part of the sensor and/or rebuild process.
Any insight to common issues or connections in particular that you have had issues with?
Old 09-25-2022, 11:03 PM
jjrichar
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 41 Posts

Hello everyone,

I've been busy in the DIY Porsche space for a few years now, and a few months ago I bought a base 981 Boxster that had been written off due to water in the cabin. I thought it was going to be a total wreck but it turned out to be a pretty good car with only a few issues. I'd been looking for a wreck for a while that could pull apart just for the fun of it, learn as much as I could and make a bunch of videos to help other. Ive pretty much exhausted the car in terms of what information I can provide except for a full PDK and engine tear down. Here is a link to the youtube channel for you to see what I've been doing to this point if you are interested.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...J_MoXFcr4OERzd

The next part of the project will be the PDK tear down. Whilst the engine and transmission on the project car are perfectly OK, I've been fortunate enough to be donated a broken PDK, which I will pick up in a few weeks. The donor car was a 981 Cayman GTS that was crashed on the track, with the PDK bell housing being cracked open.

About 12 years ago I did a similar project for the ZF 5HP19 auto transmission. Like Porsche with the PDK, if you took the transmission into a dealership with a problem the answer was often 'buy a new one'. After doing the 5HP19 project, many people around the world rebuilt their transmissions and much more information has been provided since. I still field questions regularly from people around the world who are fixing them. A link to the project is here if you are interested.
https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...ission.928248/

My plan is to do something similar to this except in video form.

There is obviously a lot of information in this thread, which is a great start. I haven't sifted through all of it, but I've read a lot and spoken to Rob997 via email before about the PDK as well as other subjects.

The reason for this post?

I'm trying to get my hands on as much information as I can before jumping into the teardown. Torque specs, how to teardown the gear shafts etc, etc. Anything I can get my hands on.

I'd also be interested in knowing what people want to know. I am initially going to concentrate on the sensors/electrics/valve body, but after that I plan to strip it down completely if I can.

I don't come here to Rennlist often, but am regularly on Planet 9 in the 981 forums using the name jjrichar. If you have a specific request or information that is probably the best way to get hold of me.

Thanks, and happy driving.

Jeff Richardson
The following 7 users liked this post by jjrichar:
Arch (10-14-2022), AZ Boxster (10-20-2022), docdrs (09-26-2022), irnnr (09-25-2022), Noah Fect (10-23-2022), RABjr (09-26-2022), subaru335i (09-27-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-26-2022, 02:35 PM
Carlos Bueno
2nd Gear

Hi !
I have a 991.1 S 2012 and get " Emergency Gearbox signal " on panel screen. Sometimes , after leaving the garage when I break sudently it enters on gearbox emergency mode so I stop the car , turn of the engine removing the key and then reestart the engine and everything goes wright but some days not. The curious thing is that if I keep the driving mode on manual gearbox I don´t have any issue. According to your wonderfull text and ilustrations I can assume that the solenoids must be the major problem but having operated it on manual mode and facing no problems can I thing about logic central gear control as well ?
Very best regards.
Carlos
P.S. = I live in Brazil and don´t have a trustable workshop to take care of my car so I will need any help from here.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:26 PM
DBAMF
AutoX

Originally Posted by Carlos Bueno
Hi !
I have a 991.1 S 2012 and get " Emergency Gearbox signal " on panel screen. Sometimes , after leaving the garage when I break sudently it enters on gearbox emergency mode so I stop the car , turn of the engine removing the key and then reestart the engine and everything goes wright but some days not. The curious thing is that if I keep the driving mode on manual gearbox I don´t have any issue. According to your wonderfull text and ilustrations I can assume that the solenoids must be the major problem but having operated it on manual mode and facing no problems can I thing about logic central gear control as well ?
Very best regards.
Carlos
P.S. = I live in Brazil and don´t have a trustable workshop to take care of my car so I will need any help from here.
Hooking up a quality diagnostic tool and pulling the faults would be the first step.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:08 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

My 997.2 PDK is throwing codes P1734 and P0700, and wouldn't engage in reverse gear. Driving forward is completely fine, just can't reverse. It's also showing a dash error of "Transmission emergency run" when trying to reverse. I tried restarting the car and clearing the code, but the code came back as soon as I try to put it in reverse and it still wouldn't engage in reverse. (The video shows it flips between 1/2 gear when the shifter is in D happens after when I try to reverse. But if I restart the car and never put the car in reverse it drives forward fine)

From what I have read so far it seems to point to PDK distance sensors failure. Are there any other possible problems that will contribute to these codes & symptoms? I have read that T-Design makes an upgraded version of those sensors, if it is indeed a distance sensors failure I think it would make sense to go with the updated version. I'm not good enough of a DIYer to do the replacement myself, I'm in Westchester, New York, anyone has a good shop to recommend for PDK repair around the tri-state area? ("closest" shop T-Design recommended will still be shipping distance from me. Was kinda hoping I can find a shop that's within driving distance but maybe I was being too optimistic...?)

Last edited by byroncheung; 10-10-2022 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 12:00 AM
Alfatango1
Cruisin'

Hi !
Very best regards.
Carlos
Pull DTC first but if it's in limp mode it can be fatal. Not many shops want to dig too deep and try testing individual solenoids or replace the valve body. They will most likely suggest a new PDK. I've replaced a valve body in a crippled Boxster PDK and after a reprogram of the trans to ecu it was fine. It was a chance that worked out. The other option was a $20,000 new transmission.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:25 AM
Carlos Bueno
2nd Gear

Dear Alfatango1 , sorry , what is DTC ? I am scheduling engine and gearbox oil change but before it I will ask for a scanner diagnosis and then after changing oil go out for a ride and then run the scanner again. Let´s pray !!
Thanks for the post !
Regards
Carlos
Old 10-11-2022, 11:37 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by byroncheung
My 997.2 PDK is throwing codes P1734 and P0700, and wouldn't engage in reverse gear. Driving forward is completely fine, just can't reverse. It's also showing a dash error of "Transmission emergency run" when trying to reverse. I tried restarting the car and clearing the code, but the code came back as soon as I try to put it in reverse and it still wouldn't engage in reverse. (The video shows it flips between 1/2 gear when the shifter is in D happens after when I try to reverse. But if I restart the car and never put the car in reverse it drives forward fine)
Byron - thanks for getting in touch - replied to your email. Happy to help!
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 10-11-2022, 11:42 AM
Alfatango1
Cruisin'

Dear Alfatango1 , sorry , what is DTC ? I am scheduling engine and gearbox oil change but before it I will ask for a scanner diagnosis and then after changing oil go out for a ride and then run the scanner again. Let´s pray !!
Thanks for the post !
Regards
Carlos
Diagnostic Trouble Codes. OBDII codes.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:26 AM
Pascoflyer
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried searching but limited luck. Do we have any info on codes P1990 and P1991?
@PV997

Last edited by Pascoflyer; 10-14-2022 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:44 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,514 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Pascoflyer
I tried searching but limited luck. Do we have any info on codes P1990 and P1991?
@PV997
Need more info as each of these codes has half a dozen subcategories, did you get the specific text when reading the fault? Generally these codes are related to some fault within the TCU, things like Canbus communication issues or failing internal diagnostic checks. If that's the case it's relatively good news as the TCU is much cheaper/easier to service than the PDK itself. When you have more info please post it.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:33 PM
Pascoflyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PV997
Need more info as each of these codes has half a dozen subcategories, did you get the specific text when reading the fault? Generally these codes are related to some fault within the TCU, things like Canbus communication issues or failing internal diagnostic checks. If that's the case it's relatively good news as the TCU is much cheaper/easier to service than the PDK itself. When you have more info please post it.
Will do. The info I have right now is “positive engine torque intervention not possible” and “engine torque intervention not possible” Mechanic appointment on the 4th hopefully more info to follow.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:05 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,514 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Pascoflyer
Will do. The info I have right now is “positive engine torque intervention not possible” and “engine torque intervention not possible” Mechanic appointment on the 4th hopefully more info to follow.
Porsche's PDK t-shooting guide lists, "fault in CAN bus" as the possible cause for the engine torque intervention fault. The Transmission Control Unit (TCU) doesn't use canbus for communication with the PDK itself, but to the ECM. I suspect your TCU has gone bad but please post what you hear from the mechanic.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:21 AM
Pascoflyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PV997
Porsche's PDK t-shooting guide lists, "fault in CAN bus" as the possible cause for the engine torque intervention fault. The Transmission Control Unit (TCU) doesn't use canbus for communication with the PDK itself, but to the ECM. I suspect your TCU has gone bad but please post what you hear from the mechanic.
Will Do!

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission