Sponsored by:

997 GT2 Seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 04:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts
What’s the best way of getting out of the passenger side? On the drivers side I use the handbrake and door sill and just push myself out (reverse or getting in). Passenger side doesn’t have a good spot for the left hand to push off of.
Good question. I have to ask my wife since she's ridden in the passenger seat many times and I never did. She just slips in and out with no comments or complaints. Quiet the opposite actually. She likes how the seat "hugs" her. May come down to body build, weight and overall physical mobility again. She's pretty fit and trim at 5'7" so her assessment won't be an assessment that applies to everyone just like my assessment of getting in and out of the driver's seat won't apply to everyone.

Different seats for sure but quiet comfortable once seated. Not for everyone though and I would definitely do my best to "test seat" one of them before spending $14K.

Last edited by sandwedge; 04-19-2023 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:18 PM
jonan
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
That thread is amazing, but the retrofit seems like a massive amount of work to eliminate the airbag light. I'm currently just living with the light after installing the 991 RoW seats in my GT3, but will eventually code it out. Definitely not going through the trouble of installing the sensor / re-wiring everything, as I don't think it adds anything from a safety perspective.
interesting, i just had to code my seats with durametric and no more airbag light...
Old 09-05-2023, 09:29 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 170 Posts

Hopefully this will save folks some headaches and show up in a google search...

I installed a set of brand new US spec buckets a few years ago, but I haven't driven the car much since then. I noticed this weekend that the "PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF" light on the center console was lit up. I hooked up a PIWIS 3 and saw that the AWS were uncalibrated and the module hadn't been coded to the VIN (I'm not sure that it matters). I was able to code it to the VIN fine, but when I went to calibrate the sensors I got a "Abort condition or fault has occurred", when I selected "Teach Sensors" I got an error: "Deactive Transport Mode". Googling gave me nothing to go on.

OK. Odd. I did a Vehicle Handover in the PIWIS and it failed the check on the PASM module and thus wouldn't kick it out of transport mode. That was my clue. I have a DSC controller installed -- I suspect that was causing it to fail some sort of integrity check.

I swapped the DSC controller for my stock PSAM module, ran a vehicle handover which succeed and kick it out of transport mode. I was then able to go back in to the AWS and go through the calibration setup:

- Move the passenger seat centered evenly between the rails
- Step 1 calibrate with the seat empty
- Step 2 calibrate with a 6.7 kg +/- 1kg weight in the seat (I used a 16lb wall ball)
- Step 3 calibrate with an adult over 55 kg

Turned off the ignition. Swapped the DSC controller back in. Turned in the ignition back on. Boom, everything works properly. When the 16 lb wall ball is the seat the light comes on. When I sit in the seat the light goes off.

The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (09-05-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 01:49 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

up to $23k now in BAT .....
Old 10-10-2023, 04:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

up to $23k now in BAT .....
No reference to what the $23K is for. For GT2 bucket seats only? Can't be. That's the cost of a new or rebuilt engine. Can't think of anything else for a 997 that would cost $23K except perhaps a new PDK.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:53 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Yes, he's referencing a set sold on BAT recently, and honestly not the greatest condition set either. Get two people in a room bidding against one another however and 'worth' becomes purely subjective.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:57 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,065 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
No reference to what the $23K is for. For GT2 bucket seats only? Can't be. That's the cost of a new or rebuilt engine. Can't think of anything else for a 997 that would cost $23K except perhaps a new PDK.
It apparently can be. Recent auctions have been in the 15-20 range. I suspect that won't change with these now permanently discontinued and second hand supply very sparse.
Old 10-10-2023, 11:39 AM
Ob917
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 168 Posts

I don’t understand, the 991 carbon bucket versions are still available aren’t they? They are basically the same seat and fit 997s just fine as far as I know 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 10-10-2023, 11:43 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,065 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Ob917
I don’t understand, the 991 carbon bucket versions are still available aren’t they? They are basically the same seat and fit 997s just fine as far as I know 🤷🏻‍♂️
No, you can't buy any carbon buckets new now. The 991 units were what everyone was buying from Carnewal, but they're discontinued as of Feb of this year as well.
Old 10-10-2023, 12:25 PM
Fjdjgc
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Did a search and came up short. Ordered a drivers seat because I want both the driver and the passenger Thorax air bags and my wife does not appreciate the buckets. It appears to be plug and play with the four way sport seat that is currently in the car.

Here is the seat I ordered:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/997...-:-997-version

The question I have, has anyone installed a GT2 seat in a 997.2 and successfully added a heating element?

The car is equipped with heated seats.

What good is a thread without a picture of the 997.2.

lovely ✨
Old 10-10-2023, 12:42 PM
Ob917
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 168 Posts

No, you can't buy any carbon buckets new now. The 991 units were what everyone was buying from Carnewal, but they're discontinued as of Feb of this year as well.
Oh got ya.
Old 10-10-2023, 01:20 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Yeah, GT2 seats. Was browsing around the marketplace and there's a set for sale there for $23k and it referenced recent auction prices .... so had to check BAT and yep there it was $23k.
Old 10-10-2023, 01:40 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 417 Posts

The Porsche Tax remains true. I'm so glad I bought a set of 991 seats from Carnewal a couple years ago. Only $10K at the time! I was reluctant to do so but like many things in the Porsche world, who could anticipate the appreciation of these seats?! Ridonkulous!
Old 10-10-2023, 03:24 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 313 Posts

so many better options out there, wouldn't pay anything over 10k for them. But hey, porsche nuts have deep pockets
The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (10-10-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 04:40 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AWay
Yes, he's referencing a set sold on BAT recently, and honestly not the greatest condition set either. Get two people in a room bidding against one another however and 'worth' becomes purely subjective.
Unreal. Thought for a moment about putting mine on the market which are in excellent condition. I even have bolster protectors so with some care they could be brought to mint condition.

It apparently can be. Recent auctions have been in the 15-20 range. I suspect that won't change with these now permanently discontinued and second hand supply very sparse.
With this trend, I'll keep mine. Sounds like a good investment since I paid no premium for them when I bought the car. They were already in the car and the seller had the car priced as if it had run of the mill standard Porsche seats in it.

Yeah, GT2 seats. Was browsing around the marketplace and there's a set for sale there for $23k and it referenced recent auction prices .... so had to check BAT and yep there it was $23k.
Interesting to see if the $23K sale was an outlier or if this will be the new baseline. Doesn't seem too long ago where you could buy a used set in good condition for $7K to $8K. Imagine a really high mile 2005 base car in somewhat poor condition with these seats in it. The seats alone would be approaching the value of the car.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 Seats