Sponsored by:

OEM SSK - very happy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 07:11 AM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OEM SSK - very happy!

Yesterday I had the OEM Short Shift Kit installed, and WOW, I'm super pleased with it.

It's much tighter, shorter throws, and no play in it at all. The stock shifter had some wiggle and was just a little too sloppy.

I know there are other more popular options, but I was looking for an improvement over stock and didn't want to spend too much $$$.

I purchased it from suncoast: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99742498300.html
And had it installed by a local Indy shop.

The only complaint is that I noticed getting into first is a little hard at times, but hopefully that will sort itself it out after a few more miles/smiles!!

The best advice I got from the Forums was this: "Go with the OEM SSK and you'll be happy, but just don't drive a 997 with Numeric!"
Old 08-31-2019, 07:02 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FamilyMan928
The only complaint is that I noticed getting into first is a little hard at times, but hopefully that will sort itself it out after a few more miles/smiles!!

My experience with the SSK is similar...but going into first actually gets worse as the weather gets colder. I found that if I pull the shifter towards 2nd gear (not into 2nd) then move shifter into 1st it operates much smoother.
The following users liked this post:
FamilyMan928 (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 07:29 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan

My experience with the SSK is similar...but going into first actually gets worse as the weather gets colder. I found that if I pull the shifter towards 2nd gear (not into 2nd) then move shifter into 1st it operates much smoother.
Definitely agree with your comments. Mine behaves the same way.

Regards
Old 08-31-2019, 08:03 PM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhbrennan

Thanks, I’ll give that a try. Do you know if this is due to something inherent in the design?
Old 08-31-2019, 09:06 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

I have issues with the SSK and getting into first when cold as well. Sometimes, I even just get frustrated and start out in second. Once the car is at temp, it is no longer an issue. I also noticed that when I drive to work, or wherever, it might feel notchy or tight but driving back it is a lot nicer. I wonder if that is just psychological though. When the car is warm, the car shifts better than any car I have had, even Hondas with their super slick MT. When it is cold, the whole first gear thing makes it the worst until I get to temp IMO.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:09 PM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I have issues with the SSK and getting into first when cold as well. Sometimes, I even just get frustrated and start out in second. Once the car is at temp, it is no longer an issue. I also noticed that when I drive to work, or wherever, it might feel notchy or tight but driving back it is a lot nicer. I wonder if that is just psychological though. When the car is warm, the car shifts better than any car I have had, even Hondas with their super slick MT. When it is cold, the whole first gear thing makes it the worst until I get to temp IMO.
Sounds like I'll have to drive around my neighborhood before leaving for work!
Old 08-31-2019, 10:25 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

^^^ yeah, I actually have 2 options to get to the freeway, and if it isn't my morning stop and go commute, I will take the longer way. If it is morning, whatever, in LA, you just stop/go/stop/go...with sudden bursts of people stupidly flooring it to the next choke point. In any case, mine is factory installed. I drove other 997 versions before buying my car. The shifter (once warm) was a high point of my test drive from a (VERY) cold start (i.e. sitting in a garage for quite a while on a tender).

Trending Topics

Old 09-01-2019, 10:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

I have the OEM SSK in both my 997s and don't have the 1st gear issue you guys are mentioning. If you haven't renewed your dear oil with Mobilube PTX, do that immediately. Don't use any other fluid and it may dramatically improve the cold shift into 1st as well as the warm shifting.
jamesinger (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 11:43 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Had the OEM SSK and liked it a lot. Added the function first shift right solution and it made it even better. Current car went straight to the numeric shifter.
FamilyMan928 (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 06:16 PM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
I have the OEM SSK in both my 997s and don't have the 1st gear issue you guys are mentioning. If you haven't renewed your dear oil with Mobilube PTX, do that immediately. Don't use any other fluid and it may dramatically improve the cold shift into 1st as well as the warm shifting.
Yeah I was just reading in another thread that someone had success with this approach (plus new engine mounts).

I’ll give Mobilube PTX a try, thanks!
Old 09-01-2019, 09:44 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

The best advice I got from the Forums was this: "Go with the OEM SSK and you'll be happy, but just don't drive a 997 with Numeric!"
Just curious what the issue with the Numeric ? It looks like a high quality piece, albeit a bit pricey.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:15 PM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
Just curious what the issue with the Numeric ? It looks like a high quality piece, albeit a bit pricey.
Numeric is much better and I’d regret not spending the extra money to get one!
Old 09-01-2019, 11:18 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

Numeric is much better and I’d regret not spending the extra money to get one!
Oh, ok I get it. I misread your quote. Sometimes I am a bit dense
Old 09-01-2019, 11:45 PM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
Oh, ok I get it. I misread your quote. Sometimes I am a bit dense
Haha, no worries... I can see how you could have taken it the other way. 😁
Old 09-07-2019, 08:00 AM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Quick update: I had the trans oil changed (Mobilube PTX). Also had them ensure the cables were retained properly. BUT, still hard to shift into 1st.

I've read quite a bit on the forum here and it sounds like my next steps are new engine mounts and then maybe changing the plastic bushings to metal.

In the meantime, I'll follow the procedures others have noted (move gear towards 2nd, then move up to 1st).

Quick Reply: OEM SSK - very happy!