OEM SSK - very happy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Originally Posted by FamilyMan928
Quick update: I had the trans oil changed (Mobilube PTX). Also had them ensure the cables were retained properly. BUT, still hard to shift into 1st.

I've read quite a bit on the forum here and it sounds like my next steps are new engine mounts and then maybe changing the plastic bushings to metal.

In the meantime, I'll follow the procedures others have noted (move gear towards 2nd, then move up to 1st).
When doing mounts, I recommend RSS semi solid motor mounts and Torque Solutions street version transmission mounts. Don't do too aggressive on transmission mounts or you'll transfer a lot of noise and vibration to the cabin.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:03 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

Did you have problems shifting to first before the change to the SSK? I don’t have the SSK, but did have the intermittent issue of not being able to get it into first sometimes, and after having my dealer bleed the clutch, the problem went away.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

2009 C2S 140K miles

A few things.....

1 - 1st gear issue... common, and many get relief as Mr Petza noted from replacing transmission oil with what is spec'd in my (and your?) 2009 manual, Mobilube PTX. Read more here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-gear-oil.html
2 - A shorter shifter lessens your leverage.. it makes your arm action less powerful so any resistance that is already in the system will get stronger. An almost non-existent 1st gear issue will become noticeable and may crest your WTF threshold.
3 - Short shifters are not for everyone. I for one, don't like them. It is a matter of taste.

I installed the Numeric shifter which has three leverage position you can select. Make it short or long. You can make it stock if you want. I set mine as stock. I have driven other's Porsche with short shifter kits and I just don't like the extra effort to shift... I find it annoying. But that is just me... YMMV. Read here... tons on the Numeric: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post11734128

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-07-2019, 09:11 PM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
Did you have problems shifting to first before the change to the SSK? I don’t have the SSK, but did have the intermittent issue of not being able to get it into first sometimes, and after having my dealer bleed the clutch, the problem went away.
Yes, I did have some intermittent issues prior to installing the SSK. After the install, it become more pronounced and almost at every shift into 1st. As Bruce said, the SSK amplifies the resistance.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:13 PM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 140K miles

A few things.....

1 - 1st gear issue... common, and many get relief as Mr Petza noted from replacing transmission oil with what is spec'd in my (and your?) 2009 manual, Mobilube PTX. Read more here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-gear-oil.html
2 - A shorter shifter lessens your leverage.. it makes your arm action less powerful so any resistance that is already in the system will get stronger. An almost non-existent 1st gear issue will become noticeable and may crest your WTF threshold.
3 - Short shifters are not for everyone. I for one, don't like them. It is a matter of taste.

I installed the Numeric shifter which has three leverage position you can select. Make it short or long. You can make it stock if you want. I set mine as stock. I have driven other's Porsche with short shifter kits and I just don't like the extra effort to shift... I find it annoying. But that is just me... YMMV. Read here... tons on the Numeric: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post11734128

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks, I actually read that post and followed a few other threads.... that's how I determined to try the PTX. Unfortunately, no dice for me.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:03 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 391 Likes on 255 Posts

I’d try numeric shifting cables.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:08 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

Yes, I did have some intermittent issues prior to installing the SSK. After the install, it become more pronounced and almost at every shift into 1st. As Bruce said, the SSK amplifies the resistance.
Wow, if happening at every shift into first, that would really annoy me. Cars behind me would be honking all the time. In the interim I guess you can shift into first as you’re coming to stop so that you know it can be in first as you start again or shift into second before going to first but that doesn’t always work either. Let us know what finally works for you as the fix.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:21 AM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
Wow, if happening at every shift into first, that would really annoy me. Cars behind me would be honking all the time. In the interim I guess you can shift into first as you’re coming to stop so that you know it can be in first as you start again or shift into second before going to first but that doesn’t always work either. Let us know what finally works for you as the fix.
Yup, it's been pretty annoying. I might have to change the title of this thread!

It's weird though, yesterday I drove around for 50 miles and there were times when it fell into 1st pretty easily, but more often than not I felt the resistance going into 1st. I've been doing the stick move to 2nd, then shifting into 1st and that is the temporary work around.

I'll keep exploring the options to see how to minimize (or eliminate the issue). We've got about 2 months of good driving weather here in Chicago before I have to start thinking about winter storage. So, we'll see how it goes!

Fortunately, there's great people on this forum with experiences that I can learn from!!
Old 09-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Yup, it's been pretty annoying. I might have to change the title of this thread!

It's weird though, yesterday I drove around for 50 miles and there were times when it fell into 1st pretty easily, but more often than not I felt the resistance going into 1st. I've been doing the stick move to 2nd, then shifting into 1st and that is the temporary work around.

I'll keep exploring the options to see how to minimize (or eliminate the issue). We've got about 2 months of good driving weather here in Chicago before I have to start thinking about winter storage. So, we'll see how it goes!

Fortunately, there's great people on this forum with experiences that I can learn from!!
You can slip it into first just before coming to a stop, but then you have to sit there with your foot on the clutch until the light changes and you can go, which is bad for the throwout bearing.

Another trick that may work is when you're sitting there in neutral with the clutch out, blip the gas before depressing the clutch and then push in the clutch and move the lever to first. Blipoin the gas with the clutch engaged (pedal out, not in) will spin the internals of the transmission so they're moving as you try to engage the gear which should help it slip in easier.
The following users liked this post:
FamilyMan928 (09-09-2019)

Quick Reply: OEM SSK - very happy!