PDK Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 04:01 PM
BuddyPT
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK Insurance?

Hello,
I am considering a 2011 997.2 S, 18,000 miles, previous CPO. Will do a ppi. Do you feel there have been enough pdk problems to warrant an insurance policy on this car? I’m thinking no, but would like another opinion. Thanks as always!
Old 08-20-2019, 04:20 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 60 Posts

i would be interested in this as well, have you looked into the cost for something like that?
Old 08-20-2019, 04:38 PM
BuddyPT
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven’t looked into it yet, just know that some other members have recommended it. We may get some info on it here!
Old 08-20-2019, 05:44 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I have had 5 cars with a dual clutch transmission.. none of them had a warranty. 2 of them were Porsche PDK (987.2 Cayman and 997.2 Carrera GTS)... I didn't bother with a warranty on either Porsche. On the 911 I am glad I didn't.. as I had the car 3 years without a warranty and now I've taken the car with me to Germany.. so any remaining warranty I'd have had wouldn't have any value now.

I can understand folks wanting to have that, there are folks who had it and needed it. And surely there are folks who bought it for the fact they were getting a PDK and didn't use it. Overall.. I think you just gotta decide what you're comfortable with.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fined:
BuddyPT (08-20-2019), Frank996 (08-21-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 07:41 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I never get an extended warranty on anything for the same reason I don't play the lottery. Averaged out, you're probably going to pay $1 for every $.25 they pay out. Sure, there are a few people who thank their lucky stars they got it, but the vast majority lose on the deal. I know the argument about "peace of mind" but my peace of mind would be lost if I prepaid several thousand dollars for something that is very unlikely to occur. Yes I have fire insurance on my house, but that would be a financial catastrophe, a blown transmission would be very significant, but not the end of the world.
The following 2 users liked this post by KLS:
BuddyPT (08-20-2019), F308gt4 (08-20-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 03:09 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
I have had 5 cars with a dual clutch transmission.. none of them had a warranty. 2 of them were Porsche PDK (987.2 Cayman and 997.2 Carrera GTS)... I didn't bother with a warranty on either Porsche. On the 911 I am glad I didn't.. as I had the car 3 years without a warranty and now I've taken the car with me to Germany.. so any remaining warranty I'd have had wouldn't have any value now.

I can understand folks wanting to have that, there are folks who had it and needed it. And surely there are folks who bought it for the fact they were getting a PDK and didn't use it. Overall.. I think you just gotta decide what you're comfortable with.
I'm one of those as you probably know by now. Saved me $14,000. That said, my failure was on a 2009 C4S. As best I can recall, the failures reported are few and far between and those few failures reported in this forum seem to be related to that first year (2009) versions. I can't recall reading about a PDK failure of a 2010 or later version. At least not on Rennlist. Not sure what changes they made but it definitely seems like the later versions have a lower failure rate.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:23 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

I have a macan with 115,000 miles and a PDK and a 911 with 42,000 miles with a PDK

Between the two I have paid $10,000 for extended warranties. So far have used none. If I loose an engine or a PDK in either I'll come out ahead. If not I subsidized the people who did have a failure.

Trending Topics

Old 08-21-2019, 10:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by KLS
I never get an extended warranty on anything for the same reason I don't play the lottery. Averaged out, you're probably going to pay $1 for every $.25 they pay out. Sure, there are a few people who thank their lucky stars they got it, but the vast majority lose on the deal. I know the argument about "peace of mind" but my peace of mind would be lost if I prepaid several thousand dollars for something that is very unlikely to occur. Yes I have fire insurance on my house, but that would be a financial catastrophe, a blown transmission would be very significant, but not the end of the world.
This is me too. No warranties on any of my Pcars or my pickup. Most things I can fix myself and I have enough other cars to drive if that repair takes a while, like even a couple months. I also find that I do a better job on the repair than the people I used to pay to do them.

The PDK is unique in this respect though, because there's no way to repair it, only replace it, and it's a decent size bill.

I'm considering buying a Macan, and because of the PDK, would actually consider an extended warranty on that car.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:34 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

OP, I purchased a 997.2 TT with about 64k miles and full service records (all service done at a Porsche dealership). I also bought a Fidelity power train warranty just in case for 4 years and 48k miles. Price was very reasonable to me (pm me for details). With such low miles in your car, I reckon your price would be much cheaper. Contact Michael Jourdan at mossy motors. Search here. Good Luck.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:54 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
This is me too. No warranties on any of my Pcars or my pickup. Most things I can fix myself and I have enough other cars to drive if that repair takes a while, like even a couple months. I also find that I do a better job on the repair than the people I used to pay to do them.

The PDK is unique in this respect though, because there's no way to repair it, only replace it, and it's a decent size bill.

I'm considering buying a Macan, and because of the PDK, would actually consider an extended warranty on that car.
Since you're able to fix most things yourself you should be able to get a much more narrowly focused policy than the typical ones that cover a bunch of stuff you don't need. Don't know if you can narrow it down to transmission only but I know for sure I've seen "drive train" policies, most of which I believe cover both engine and transmission but not much if anything else.

Quick Reply: PDK Insurance?