Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB 997.2 C4S Manual Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019 | 09:51 AM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Default WTB 997.2 C4S Manual Coupe

Hey guys, I’m looking for a 2009 - 2011 C4S with a manual transmission. I’m open to exterior colors but I do prefer black leather or a darker color interior. Obviously condition is the most important aspect, DME etc. Looking for a coupe. I'm located in Boca Raton FL and am willing to travel for the right car. Thanks in advance. I know as a new rennlist member the message feature may not work. My email is natefitness@lycos.com. Thanks again guys.

Nate

Old 08-20-2019 | 08:55 PM
street rod
Drifting

I don't know anything about this car but its been up on Autotrader for a while.and it does show an accident on the Carfax. Wrong interior for you however. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight
Old 08-20-2019 | 10:22 PM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help, I've seen that pop up a few times. That car is a mess I think it had 2 accidents if I'm not mistaken. The whole used car market in South Florida is a mess, there is so many shady car dealers down here. The search continues, thank's for the help. It's much appreciated. I know the 997.2 has lower production numbers but I still want to hold out for a good clean example. I posted a WTB on the PCA classifieds and I know the search usually does take some time for most owners.
Old 08-20-2019 | 10:31 PM
street rod
Drifting

I have been told by others to beware of the South Florida market. It took me 1 1/2 years to find the right car so be patient. Some good C4S cars do pop up and just be ready to move when you find a good one. I actually found mine on the PCA website. That is a great resource and for the most part has some very good owners to deal with. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2019 | 11:16 PM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Your speed yellow .2 is beautiful. It is speed yellow right? Down here you probably need 2 or 3 PPI's just to be sure, it's that bad haha. Don't a lot of cars typically go up for sale before winter and/or in winter? I also thought with more of the 992 variants being released later this year and early next year there should be some great examples coming up for sale.
The following users liked this post:
street rod (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019 | 12:35 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Originally Posted by street rod
I don't know anything about this car but its been up on Autotrader for a while.and it does show an accident on the Carfax. Wrong interior for you however. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight

It's a PDK even though the ad says manual. Look at the pics and you can clearly see the PDK gear lever.
Old 08-21-2019 | 02:49 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
Hey guys, I’m looking for a 2009 - 2011 C4S with a manual transmission. I’m open to exterior colors but I do prefer black leather or a darker color interior. Obviously condition is the most important aspect, DME etc. Looking for a coupe. I'm located in Boca Raton FL and am willing to travel for the right car. Thanks in advance. I know as a new rennlist member the message feature may not work. My email is natefitness@lycos.com. Thanks again guys.

Nate
Do you have to see the car in person? If yes, how far will you travel? Just asking since you increase your chances of finding what you're looking for by such a magnitude that being flexible on this makes it worthwhile imo. I do a nationwide search whenever I'm looking for something new. Bought two E46 M3's and my current GTS this way. All three sight unseen. Spent good money on VERY thorough PPI's and had the cars shipped in covered transports. No issues whatsoever with either one.

I know that "test drive" is a must for a lot of buyers but if you haven't driven a .2 C4S, you're close enough to Champion Porsche in Pompany Beach. Check them out. Maybe they have a .2 C4S you can drive in their usually large inventory . May not be the exact car you're looking for but it will drive just like any other .2 C4S. Bought my -09 C4S from them. Great dealership. I didn't like the quiet stock exhaust so they threw in a new Tubi exhaust at no cost. (no affiliation except that purchase).
Old 08-21-2019 | 10:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My brother was just looking for this same car. He actually found the spec he wanted but in a C2S and really, unless you're going to drive it in the snow, there's no need for the AWD version and the RWD cars drive better (steering feel). He's not sad at all about me convincing him to go with the 2S instead of the 4S.

You lose the widebody rear, but honestly there isn't that much difference, and I personally think the fender shape of the NB coupe cars as the line comes down from the rear window across the fender flare is actually nicer, as it's a continuous curve without the 1" flat spot in the middle.

With the 2S you also get a less complicated drivetrain from a maintenance perspective.

Over the 3 weeks or so he and I were looking we found about 3 cars that were candidates, but 2 of them were priced unreasonably, like near $70k, which is closing in on TT money. He found his at CarMax for $54 I think, had a PPI done and bought the MaxCare warranty. After buying it, they did about $4,000 in repairs for him that were identified during the PPI at no charge.

The purpose of this note is to give you some pricing Intel, some info about possibly expanding your search to the RWD models, which will open up the number of cars available considerably, and to wish you luck in your search.
Old 08-21-2019 | 10:09 AM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

The test drive isn't a must but after all the pre requisites are made I would make a quick trip for it. It seems California has the biggest used market from what I have seen. I know with the cars getting older there is always slight rock chips to the exterior and scuffs in the interior. It would be nice to see everything ahead of time. I know from my years of reading posts on here Champion is top notch. I haven't been there recently enough to see the new building in the back. I heard it was a museum or some kind of overflow lot. The place is huge to say the least.

Sandwedge: Did you purchase your C4S and GTS used? How old were the cars when you bought them? I think a trip down to Champion should be in order.
Old 08-21-2019 | 10:25 AM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Petza: I have not ruled out a C2S yet. I would like to find a C4S, I figure in a few months or so if I can't find the right car for the right deal a C2S should work. It does open up the options quite a bit. I don't know if it was the initial msrp or what but it seems the C2S market has better specs as far as full leather, sports seats etc.. It sounds like carmax did the right thing, I hear they're pretty easy to deal with actually.

And yes TT money is fast approaching with some of these prices lol. I figured 60K should be able to find a decent example that has a decent spec.

Thanks for all the help and insight, the chase is on..
Old 08-21-2019 | 11:53 AM
jkoravos
Pro

2 cents from someone in the market for a 997.2 C2S/C4S Manual CAB...(actually have a PPI today)

1. These cars are scarce. Not sure if that's just the current market or that's going to be the norm in the long run with the 997.2MT. With MT going the way of the dodo we'll likely see continued high demand for these last few years with MT.

2. A lot of online asking prices are high and they sit. IMO some of the cars aren't even really for sale, they are up there as marketing. The ones that are at the real market price (high 40s/low 50s for C2S) are going almost instantly. I assume this is especially true on the C4S, some of the asking prices are just wacky. Like someone said, $65-$75k. When someone comes up at $55k it's gone in a day.

3. You need to keep on top of new listings and be ready to pull the trigger. Travel is almost a must unless you have a year to search or live in CA. Like you said, the market is half on the west coast. with the other half spread throughout the country. I'm in Northeast which is not a great market for these cars. I put a deposit on the car I have a PPI on today the same day it hit the lot. I happened to be traveling to Houston, where the car was being sold, so I got to see and drive it. I wouldn't buy are car without seeing it in person but a lot of people will take the chance, which makes it even more difficult if you want to see before you buy.

4. C4S commands a premium...and I don't know why. Again, I've only been on the prowl for a few months so I'm mostly going by what I've learned in that time. It seems dealers are trying to keep the same premium that you see between the C2 and C4S with the 996. IMO the 996 C4S looks significantly different than the C2 (and there was no C2S 996). In the 997 generation the difference between the narrow body and wide body is almost unnoticeable. I understand the premium, to a degree, on the 996 but it doesn't make sense on the 997. But the market is what it is, C4S is going for a premium. Original MSRP difference between the C2S and C4S was only $5k. It seems like there's still almost $5k gap between the two on the used market.
The following users liked this post:
63mercedes (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019 | 02:00 PM
Gnarlycharlie
Track Day

I’m selling my 2011 C4S. Lots of interest so far, been in correspondence with a few other members. Hop over to the classified section for details.
Old 08-21-2019 | 02:45 PM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

I did see your green C4S Charlie, if it had a dark interior i'd be in correspondence. I plan to keep the car for quite a while, and the lighter color leathers just wear to quick IMO. I had a jaguar with similar leather and no matter how hard I tried it didn't age particularly well.

Jkoravos: You are more than right on a few things. I go through the usual car gurus, auto trader, cars.com search and you're right. They all do seem to sit when priced to high. It seems like i'm looking through the same old results over and over only to see one or maybe two new ones a week. Porsche has the novelty feeling like Apple and I respect and understand it but some of these dealers are dreaming. There is a beautiful low mileage macadamia cab in south beach. Painted hardback seats full leather, its great but for about 15k or so over market I have to pass.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone is much appreciated. They're rare cars that's for sure.
Old 08-21-2019 | 03:06 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Another tip. If you find a listing keep the details to yourself until you have a deposit down. I'm sure there are a few other lurkers looking to scoop one out from under you.
Old 08-21-2019 | 03:46 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Nate,

I just sent you an email. Although I am not letting go of my car just yet. But who know what might happen tomorrow. Keep my info just in case we cross path in the future. We may be able to do something.

Quick Reply: WTB 997.2 C4S Manual Coupe