Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB 997.2 C4S Manual Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 10:35 AM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 197 Posts

The weekly bump, If anyone knows of anything.

Nate
Old 08-28-2019, 01:03 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

The best one I'm seeing is the '09 on PCA. It's really slim pickins right now.
The following users liked this post:
luvmy356 (10-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 01:48 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bheit1
I could never see a good rational for all wheel drive on a Carrera. It's extra weight, resistance, and maintenance. Will you be racing it? I doubt it. Why drive a work of art through road salt? You will be very happy with a C2S.

We'll just agree to disagree. The C4S is fantastic in the snow and the widebody lines look great. And because I can. That said, the C2S is no slouch in the snow when properly treaded. Because tires are much more important than AWD. I'd feel comfortable driving a 2S, though I prefer the front end stability of the 4S.

This is my daily driver in CO. I maintain it well and I use it. I have a setup to wash the undercarriage and have a spigot in my heated garage if the weather is really bad for an extended time. The engine is made of Aluminum and the exhaust of stainless. They are reasonably resistant to corrosion. Most parts are reasonable and I woudln't have bought it if I couldn't afford the maintenance. I wouldn't do this with a GT2 or RS4.0. Those are actually rare and valuable cars. If I could afford one, I'd certainly drive and enjoy it, just not in the snow.

Its a car. A very fine car, but still just a car. I'll be done with it when the wheels fall off. Based on my experience so far, that's gonna be a long time.
jaxxon99 (08-29-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 01:53 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Originally Posted by 63mercedes

Nate
I watched the market for about a decade before buying. I noticed that I'd see the most inventory on the market in the spring Mar-May and generally the best values in late March/early April, just before tax day. I wouldn't discourage you from continuing to shop. I've always seen the inventory decline in the late summer.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:31 AM
jkoravos
Pro

2004 GT3 in the same price range at a 997.2 C4S. Just seeing if you're tempted...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 08-28-2019, 11:04 AM
Kelias
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nate
I saw an '09 C2S just listed on BAT (bring a trailer) - if you are willing to look at narrow bodies.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-carrera-s-10/
Old 08-28-2019, 11:11 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
We'll just agree to disagree. The C4S is fantastic in the snow and the widebody lines look great. And because I can. That said, the C2S is no slouch in the snow when properly treaded. Because tires are much more important than AWD. I'd feel comfortable driving a 2S, though I prefer the front end stability of the 4S.

This is my daily driver in CO. I maintain it well and I use it. I have a setup to wash the undercarriage and have a spigot in my heated garage if the weather is really bad for an extended time. The engine is made of Aluminum and the exhaust of stainless. They are reasonably resistant to corrosion. Most parts are reasonable and I woudln't have bought it if I couldn't afford the maintenance. I wouldn't do this with a GT2 or RS4.0. Those are actually rare and valuable cars. If I could afford one, I'd certainly drive and enjoy it, just not in the snow.

Its a car. A very fine car, but still just a car. I'll be done with it when the wheels fall off. Based on my experience so far, that's gonna be a long time.

I didn't want an AWD 911. I did drive a 997.2 C4S for a whole weekend a few years before I bought my GTS. That C4S was fun, and it would get the tail out too, if provoked. I was a bit surprised by how the C4S was still very RWD oriented. It was a very different experience from the Audi TTRS that I owned at the time. The C4S didn't actively kill joy like the AWD in many Audi cars do. If I lived in CO I think I just might have bought a GTS4 or even a C4S too!
Old 08-28-2019, 11:19 AM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Jkoravos : Slim pickings is right, there seems to be about 3 cars for sale. The white one is nice, and his dme is perfect. The more I think about the purchase, I don't know if white is for me. I never payed attention to the side skirts on lighter colored cars. How is that not a standard option? That really is Porsche getting cheap. That's good insight. I will remember the season you're mentioning but I always thought winter is selling time for sports cars. I know it's a gt3 but the 996 isn't for me, it doesn't check all the boxes plus I was never a fan of those interiors. I'm sure others can agree.

Golden Gorilla: ...And because you can. You're 100 % right. Beautiful car sir. I prefer the 4 also, and where you"re at the 4 wheel drive is almost a must. I got an e63 stuck in a half inch of snow in Ohio. I know the 911 should bite harder because of engine location. But god was that a nightmare, I had to have the fire department give me a ride home lol.

Hoping to find a decent one for 60Kish sale price or even slightly under. I don't think it should be to hard to find, it just seems timing is off.

Thanks again everybody. It's much appreciated and I enjoy talking shop with you guys.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:35 AM
jkoravos
Pro

If you can go to $60k I'm sure you'll find something if you keep an eye out. For my recently purchased C2S I paid about $5k under what I was seeing a lot of the cars listed for. I was ready to pull the trigger and as soon as I saw the car come online I was there to put in a deposit. My car was a trade-in to a high volume dealer who wasn't really interested in getting a premium price, they just wanted to move cars so they priced a little below NADA and gave a bit on the price in negotiation. Most of the cars i see out there are priced above NADA to well above NADA, you just need to be patient for the dealer who isn't looking to ride the market.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:56 AM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My buddy

My buddy is selling one, I’ll have him contact you
63mercedes (08-29-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 12:23 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

OP- Just sent you an email.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:25 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Jkoravos : Slim pickings is right, there seems to be about 3 cars for sale. The white one is nice, and his dme is perfect. The more I think about the purchase, I don't know if white is for me. I never payed attention to the side skirts on lighter colored cars. How is that not a standard option? That really is Porsche getting cheap. That's good insight. I will remember the season you're mentioning but I always thought winter is selling time for sports cars. I know it's a gt3 but the 996 isn't for me, it doesn't check all the boxes plus I was never a fan of those interiors. I'm sure others can agree.

Golden Gorilla: ...And because you can. You're 100 % right. Beautiful car sir. I prefer the 4 also, and where you"re at the 4 wheel drive is almost a must. I got an e63 stuck in a half inch of snow in Ohio. I know the 911 should bite harder because of engine location. But god was that a nightmare, I had to have the fire department give me a ride home lol.

Hoping to find a decent one for 60Kish sale price or even slightly under. I don't think it should be to hard to find, it just seems timing is off.

Thanks again everybody. It's much appreciated and I enjoy talking shop with you guys.
You should be able to find one at your budget.

I can't stress enough how much the tires matter. You'd be no better off in the 4S on summer tires below freezing than you were in the E63. 1/2" could be enough to get stuck on summer tires if you weren't exceptionally careful. It would be like driving on ball bearings. You need at least an all-seasons for that condition. If I lived up in our mountains I'd think pretty hard about doing all-seasons in the summer. At the tops of the passes, freezing is possible 365 nights per year. In the valleys, its not uncommon for night temps to drop to 40F in July and Aug. Rain can bring the asphalt down to the low 40s in a flash. 40F is a transition point for most summer tires when cold. They're fine after they warm up, but the cold performance is very different right around that temp. As air temps get lower, warming the tires becomes a bigger issue. At 20F, I'm not sure you could ever get them to a suitable operating temp on the streets.

But your sig says Boca Raton is home and I don't think you'll ever need anything but summer tires there. Good luck in your search. When you find the right car, I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy it.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:19 PM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Redhot : Do you know what kind of specs he has and maybe a ball park on the mileage? Thank you in advance.

Chris M: That thing has a ton of carbon in it. I can't find the build sheet? Is that center console and everything factory or is it all aftermarket? There's no photo of a build sheet. I have seen that one, I'm not crazy about the wheels or the drilled bumper but it seems to be a real nice interior.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:00 PM
jkoravos
Pro

One has come up local to me but its a cab. Good option package but its more comfort oriented than performance. No sport chrono, no PSE. I think its on autotrader already so you can probably find it. I'll send a link if you want.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:46 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Chris M: That thing has a ton of carbon in it. I can't find the build sheet? Is that center console and everything factory or is it all aftermarket? There's no photo of a build sheet. I have seen that one, I'm not crazy about the wheels or the drilled bumper but it seems to be a real nice interior.
https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AB2A97BS720670/

Quick Reply: WTB 997.2 C4S Manual Coupe