Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 03:40 AM
PajamaShark
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Globespy
Appreciate some recommendations for the best option to replace my CDR-24 basic CD player.
I am looking for silver and I understand I need the MOST adapter for BOSE systems?
Do these Android Head units allow bypass of their amp to be able to use the BOSE amp in my car? I read somewhere that there's a setting in the head unit that can do this - the customer connected the ACC wire on the optical box to the blue amplifier control wire. Not to ACC. For the amplifier control to work he had to enable amplifier control in the device menu of the Android Head Unit, and says sound quality was excellent.
If we can bypass the HU's built in DSP, using the MOST adapter to integrate with the original BOSE AMP/Speakers, then does the DSP amp chip really matter? I've read that the TDA7850 is the better DSP Amp chip, but if we are able to just use the BOSE system, should it matter what DSP Amp Chip is built into the HU?
I'm just trying to understand what I actually need to purchase, avoiding all the opinions about this or that DSP chip, and I am inexperienced with this stuff.
Yes, if you have BOSE then you need MOST. That said, the amp chip still matters, because it's a two part conversion! The connection to the MOST adapter from the head unit is from the head unit's regular analog outs, so it must be converting the signal back to digital and sending that over the fiber optic protocol (which, as I understand it, is classic packet based networking). Whatever ADC chip is in the MOST adapter is decent enough though, because the sound quality is great... or good enough, given the engine noise haha. And that point brings us to the real answer: unless you've gone to exorbitant lengths to sound proof your 911, I seriously doubt you'll be able to hear the difference between any DAC or opamp chips in these units while driving.

Also, with these Android 12.0 Head Units, how much RAM is considered enough for a smooth experience (is 8GB really necessary, if not would 2GB or 4GB still have a nice experience if they sell in such configurations?), and is the ROM just for if you want to store music on the head unit when you are unable to stream from your phone?
I'd say 4GB is the minimum you'd want in one of these units for a consistently smooth experience. Android is pretty RAM hungry. Also, ROM (read only memory) is a misnomer here: what they mean is local flash disk storage for the system, including any apps and media you might load onto it. The newer units have an SD card slot, so this isn't as important, and if you just want to use Carplay or android auto, it's completely irrelevant.

The rest of your questions I can't answer well, but if making hands free calls over BT is a priority, I'd ask around a bit more. Many people (myself included) are experiencing a lot of quality issues with calls on the OwTowsin units, specifically the microphone (echo and delay and overall poor quality are common), and I've yet to find a fix (and I'm a professional software engineer). Given the history of this thread, it's likely that many of the similar looking units from different brands on AliExpress are the same design made with even cheaper parts... So buyer beware!

It's not all bad though... If your car has the multimedia steering wheel controls, these units do offer almost perfect integration, and in general are more plug and play than other aftermarket units from common name brands. There's a lot of cool stuff you can do with a real Android 12 device. You just have to decide what features are most important to you.

I hope that helps!
The following users liked this post:
Globespy (09-04-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 06:04 AM
fridsten
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, with these Android 12.0 Head Units, how much RAM is considered enough for a smooth experience (is 8GB really necessary, if not would 2GB or 4GB still have a nice experience if they sell in such configurations?), and is the ROM just for if you want to store music on the head unit when you are unable to stream from your phone?
You should also be aware that they most likely aren't actually running Android 12, but rather Android 10 reporting as 12. There's an app called Fake Device Test, that reveals what version it's actually running.
Old 09-01-2023, 07:20 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

Hello all,

I am coming over form the 996 forum. I bought an the Aliexpress Android double din head unit, same as you have here, but different bezel, I assume. It is a 8 core 8 GB RAM 128 GB ROM LTE. Everything works in the Android head unit I bought, but I did have to figure out the wiring situation on my own. Problem I am having is that the back of the unit heats upto a scalding temperature very quickly within 2 minutes of the key turning, regardless of the unit being turned on or not (area circled in red). It heats up to the point that it is almost hot enough to burn skin (At least that is what it feels like) and stays at that temperature. It does cool down withing a few minutes when the key is out. It dos this even with only the ground, ACC and battery+ wires connected and absolutely nothing else.

My wiring seems ok. Hoping someone on here can tell me what I am doing wrong?

The part that gets really hot is right above the power plug on the right. I circled it in red in the bottom picture. The rest of the back is nice and cool. Just that one part. Did I screw up wiring?

Here is how I wired it:

8 pin power plug (A) to Android ISO 16 pin power plug
pin 8 to pin 1
pin 7 to pin 3
pin 6 to pin 4
pin 5 to pin 8 (I disconnected this to see if it was my problem, but nope)
pin 4 to pin 2
pin 3 not used
pin 2 not used
pin 1 to pin 5 (for reversing camera - works)

Old 09-02-2023, 09:43 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jim010
Hello all,

I am coming over form the 996 forum. I bought an the Aliexpress Android double din head unit, same as you have here, but different bezel, I assume. It is a 8 core 8 GB RAM 128 GB ROM LTE. Everything works in the Android head unit I bought, but I did have to figure out the wiring situation on my own. Problem I am having is that the back of the unit heats upto a scalding temperature very quickly within 2 minutes of the key turning, regardless of the unit being turned on or not (area circled in red). It heats up to the point that it is almost hot enough to burn skin (At least that is what it feels like) and stays at that temperature. It does cool down withing a few minutes when the key is out. It dos this even with only the ground, ACC and battery+ wires connected and absolutely nothing else.

My wiring seems ok. Hoping someone on here can tell me what I am doing wrong?

The part that gets really hot is right above the power plug on the right. I circled it in red in the bottom picture. The rest of the back is nice and cool. Just that one part. Did I screw up wiring?

Here is how I wired it:

8 pin power plug (A) to Android ISO 16 pin power plug
pin 8 to pin 1
pin 7 to pin 3
pin 6 to pin 4
pin 5 to pin 8 (I disconnected this to see if it was my problem, but nope)
pin 4 to pin 2
pin 3 not used
pin 2 not used
pin 1 to pin 5 (for reversing camera - works)
which unit specifically? what CPU/SoC?

I literally just finished wiring up a UIS7862 (FYT) unit for a 996 here. Here's the correct wiring:
(A/B/C are factory plugs, G is Android HU)

G1 --> A8
G2 --> A4
G3 --> A7
G4 --> A6
G5 --> NC
G6 --> NC
G7 --> NC
G8 --> A5, C6 (if needed)

G9 thru G16 are the speaker outputs (connected to the B plug) and should not require modification. I have the unit running on my test bench and the area you described is warm to the touch but nowhere near hot.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:47 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Originally Posted by PajamaShark
I'm a bit late to the party here (car was in the shop for awhile getting cams and coolant lines pinned ), but now that I'm getting to drive my 911 daily again I'm starting to feel some of the quirks of this unit a bit more. I have the latest OwTowsin unit with the Qualcomm CPU, and I get the terrible echo/delay on BT calls, Waze crashes a lot, and it won't detect my 4g SIM - similar issues as everyone else here has reported.

@MattDevoCustoms I have two questions for you, if you'd be so kind: 1. Will your update package work with Qualcomm CPU units, or is the RockChip PX CPU required? I spent a lot of time searching XDA, but it's still not clear to me what's supported by the community and what isn't (is FYT the chipset type?). And second, in your experience does the app/kernel update fix any of the common issues we're seeing on here? How does it improve things in general? I'd be willing to try anything to fix the BT call quality issues, which drives my wife crazy.

In any case your UI theme looks excellent, so I'd certainly be interested in giving it a try if you're up to sharing! Thanks!
1) no, it's only for the UIS7862/7862s based units. I don't support Rockchip PX5/PX6 or Mediatek either. FYT is a platform (common hardware/software) that uses the UIS7862 and UIS8581 SoCs.
2) the BT call issues seem to be a combination of hardware (not disabling front mic when external used) and software (no noise cancellation, etc). It's not something that kernel tweaks can fix

I do plan on adding a UI-only package for the Qualcomm based units, and hope to have one here for testing soon.
Old 09-03-2023, 12:14 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
which unit specifically? what CPU/SoC?

I literally just finished wiring up a UIS7862 (FYT) unit for a 996 here. Here's the correct wiring:
(A/B/C are factory plugs, G is Android HU)

G1 --> A8
G2 --> A4
G3 --> A7
G4 --> A6
G5 --> NC
G6 --> NC
G7 --> NC
G8 --> A5, C6 (if needed)

G9 thru G16 are the speaker outputs (connected to the B plug) and should not require modification. I have the unit running on my test bench and the area you described is warm to the touch but nowhere near hot.
Yup, looks like I did my wiring right. They also included a decoder, which I didn't seem to need but I hooked up anyway.

Don't know how to tell android units apart, but it is this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005746490879.html?pdp_npi=3%40dis%21USD%21US%20%24371.13%21US%20%241 85.56%21%21%21%21%21%40210312d516914257396473150ee340%211200003419882073 8%21im%21%21

As you can see in the photos, it was getting pretty darn hot.
Temperatures are in Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

Last edited by jim010; 09-03-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 12:25 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

that link doesn't tell me which of the color/model options you got. 100*C is definitely too hot for any of these units though
Old 09-03-2023, 12:35 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

that link doesn't tell me which of the color/model options you got. 100*C is definitely too hot for any of these units though
I got the 8 core 8 GB RAM 128 GB ROM LTE - no BOSE

Yeah, way to hot and dangerous. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something in my wiring causing this, like a short, but looks like I did it right.
Old 09-03-2023, 03:06 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

I got the 8 core 8 GB RAM 128 GB ROM LTE - no BOSE

Yeah, way to hot and dangerous. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something in my wiring causing this, like a short, but looks like I did it right.
ok, that's a UIS7862 based unit, same as I have (which means you can run my custom firmware if you want).

all you need to power on the unit are pins G4, G7, G8. try just having those connected to rule out anything else
Old 09-03-2023, 03:17 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Is this unit the XTRONS one from Amazon?
Amazon.com: XTRONS Car Stereo for Porsche 911 Boxster with Optical Fiber Decoder, Android 12 Octa Core 4GB+64GB Car Radio, 8” IPS Touch Screen GPS Navigation for Car Bluetooth Head Unit DSP Car Play Android Auto : Electronics

Are you happy with it? Was it fairly easy to install?
How's the sound quality on the BOSE system compared to your old factory OEM unit?
I think I prefer the look of the Owtosin units, but buying from Amazon with their return policy seems much safer than AliExpress. Thanks.
The XTRONS unit you linked appears to be this one:
https://xtrons.co.uk/porsche-various...b-rom-ia82cmpl

In which case, it uses an older Mediatek SoC compared to the others being discussed here. XTRONS units are historically less problematic OOTB, but less tweakable than others. YMMV
The following users liked this post:
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 09-04-2023, 01:14 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

ok, that's a UIS7862 based unit, same as I have (which means you can run my custom firmware if you want).

all you need to power on the unit are pins G4, G7, G8. try just having those connected to rule out anything else
I did that. Still heats up like crazy. I am sending it back.

What is your firmware update?
Old 09-04-2023, 04:31 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fridsten
You should also be aware that they most likely aren't actually running Android 12, but rather Android 10 reporting as 12. There's an app called Fake Device Test, that reveals what version it's actually running.
Interesting, thanks for advising. I will contact the seller to make sure the unit is running Android 12 and will advise I will be checking.
That being said, can't they be upgraded anyways? I mean, it's essentially a phone, so when there's a new ROM available for these types of units, then it should be an easy upgrade as long as the hardware is capable of running the newer Android version
Old 09-04-2023, 04:35 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

The XTRONS unit you linked appears to be this one:
https://xtrons.co.uk/porsche-various...b-rom-ia82cmpl

In which case, it uses an older Mediatek SoC compared to the others being discussed here. XTRONS units are historically less problematic OOTB, but less tweakable than others. YMMV
Thanks - I ended up buying a unit just like the Owtosin one from AMLUC as the price was significantly less for what's essentially the same device.
Got the Android 12 (supposedly) 8GB/256GB Snapdragon6125 with the MOST Fiber Optic box unit.
Old 09-04-2023, 05:37 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

1)I do plan on adding a UI-only package for the Qualcomm based units, and hope to have one here for testing soon.
Would love to see this since I'm awaiting delivery of a Qualcomm unit and would love a custom UI that had Porsche logo etc.
Please DM me if you need tester
Old 09-04-2023, 06:10 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

I did that. Still heats up like crazy. I am sending it back.

What is your firmware update?
for UIS7862 (FYT) units, a full firmware update (kernel, OS, apps, bootsplash, launcher, icons, background, custom apps to remap physical buttons). For all others, just the UI bits (launcher, icons, background, maybe boot splash)

Interesting, thanks for advising. I will contact the seller to make sure the unit is running Android 12 and will advise I will be checking.
That being said, can't they be upgraded anyways? I mean, it's essentially a phone, so when there's a new ROM available for these types of units, then it should be an easy upgrade as long as the hardware is capable of running the newer Android version
in theory, but only if the manufacturer makes it available. And if so, it will likely require a full wipe of the device.

Thanks - I ended up buying a unit just like the Owtosin one from AMLUC as the price was significantly less for what's essentially the same device.
Got the Android 12 (supposedly) 8GB/256GB Snapdragon6125 with the MOST Fiber Optic box unit.
the devil is in the details -- it's almost certainly not the same hardware underneath. And almost certainly not actually Android 12, but just a build string change.

Would love to see this since I'm awaiting delivery of a Qualcomm unit and would love a custom UI that had Porsche logo etc.
Please DM me if you need tester
I'm getting one myself shortly and will iron out all the kinks / document the process before releasing it
The following 2 users liked this post by MattDevoCustoms:
Globespy (09-18-2023), myw (03-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!