Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to lighten a 997, rear seat removel

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Hans2016
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can probably shave of 20 lbs or more with a lighter battery. Odyssey 935 and Rennline mount.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:57 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Pitch your existing girl friend for one that weighs no more that 110 lbs .... That's a 30 lb savings right there.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:21 AM
frederickcook87
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I didn’t realize any wheel got to the 16-17 pound mark other than Carbon Revolution or BBS FI-R’s which are pretty damn expensive.
I’m saving up for the FI-R’s, gonna try some 19x10.5 on the front with a 19x12 or 13 rears
Old 06-22-2019, 12:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by frederickcook87
I didn’t realize any wheel got to the 16-17 pound mark other than Carbon Revolution or BBS FI-R’s which are pretty damn expensive.
I’m saving up for the FI-R’s, gonna try some 19x10.5 on the front with a 19x12 or 13 rears

I'm skeptical too about that forged Tire Rack wheel at 16 lbs for just over $4,000 for a set of 4. Great deal if accurate but you have to wonder how they dropped 4-5 lbs per wheel compared to the premium wheel makers which are all 20-21 lbs for the same sizes. Some even a pound or two above that.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:46 PM
Nitemare9
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

try OZ racing. they have 16.3lbs, front, 18.8lbs rear.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:00 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I'm skeptical too about that forged Tire Rack wheel at 16 lbs for just over $4,000 for a set of 4. Great deal if accurate but you have to wonder how they dropped 4-5 lbs per wheel compared to the premium wheel makers which are all 20-21 lbs for the same sizes. Some even a pound or two above that.
I am not selling OZ wheels but I would 100% buy them without hesitation because when you are at the track here in So. Cal., it is shocking how many cars are running OZ, and not just Porsches. I would go as far to argue that they are probably the #1 track rat wheel of choice across Hondas, BMWs, Porsches, and etc. Also, I have never seen one fail with my own eyes over many years of doing regular track weekend events for both HPDE and Time Attack. I am not an expert but there has to be some reason so many people run OZ wheels, and it can't be their price because there are lots of cheaper options out there always. Also, I would not say it is their sizing because their sizing isn't actually that impressive (e.g. for our cars you can get 997.1 GT3 spec and nothing more aggressive unless you get skinnier wheels with a more aggressive offset, which I would never do...).

I ended up getting some OEM (super heavy) GT3 wheels to keep the most OEM+ clean look to my daily driver C2S but if I didn't get those wheels, and if I was tracking my C2S, I would be running Ultraleggeras most likely.
The following users liked this post:
Fined (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 03:09 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I am not selling OZ wheels but I would 100% buy them without hesitation because when you are at the track here in So. Cal., it is shocking how many cars are running OZ, and not just Porsches. I would go as far to argue that they are probably the #1 track rat wheel of choice across Hondas, BMWs, Porsches, and etc. Also, I have never seen one fail with my own eyes over many years of doing regular track weekend events for both HPDE and Time Attack. I am not an expert but there has to be some reason so many people run OZ wheels, and it can't be their price because there are lots of cheaper options out there always. Also, I would not say it is their sizing because their sizing isn't actually that impressive (e.g. for our cars you can get 997.1 GT3 spec and nothing more aggressive unless you get skinnier wheels with a more aggressive offset, which I would never do...).

I ended up getting some OEM (super heavy) GT3 wheels to keep the most OEM+ clean look to my daily driver C2S but if I didn't get those wheels, and if I was tracking my C2S, I would be running Ultraleggeras most likely.

I'm glad you said it. OZ Racing wheels are a known quantity. Nothing doubtful about it.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:16 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitemare9
What else???
Not sure exactly what's available for 997 but I did some weight reduction on my 355 so have a few ideas.

-Carbon body panels
-Carbon seats
-Lithium battery (I used Antigravity)
-Titanium lugs/wheel bolts
-You mentioned it but lighter exhaust
-Would guess you don't want to do this but airbag delete
-PCCB? Not sure of weight difference
-Sunroof delete/carbon roof
-Wheels were mentioned
-Remove frunk lining/tool kit/ wipers/motor
The following users liked this post:
Jhensley21 (07-09-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 01:22 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitemare9
try OZ racing. they have 16.3lbs, front, 18.8lbs rear.
Really impressive numbers. Makes you wonder why Forgeline, BBS, Champion, HRE and the rest of the big league wheel makers can't get there. And the margin is quiet large too. Almost like comparing cast to forged.

Originally Posted by jamesinger

As I said above, begs the question why non of the premium forged wheel makers can't make the same size wheels at the same weights. Given that a lot of track rats are using them you have to assume OZ didn't take any shortcuts to get where they are or their reputation would keep a lot of those tracking away from the brand.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:00 PM
frederickcook87
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

The rest of the big league wheel manufacturers will continue to price gouge the Porsche community cause they can. I’m still blown away that they want 1600-3k for a rear diffuser for the 997 platform.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:07 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Hey Nitemare,

If your Autocross only then you can get into some real lightweight batteries since you really won't need the extra capacity that a battery we recommend for street use would have. For example we usually say use only about 24Amp Hours minimum in a lithium Battery for streetable Automotive use. Those are about 12 lbs and save about 30lbs over a stock Lead/Acid battery in the H6/Group48 size.

But we have some much smaller units that weigh about 5-8 lbs that would easily start a 997... but again that would be more Race and Track Cars.... these batteries would be for high performance and would be having about 10 to 15Amp Hours which is plenty strong to start the car, but again not what we would recommend for a street driven vehicle and needing the capacity for any extra accessories and higher parastic drains that would occur with a street oriented vehicle.

Something like this one is good for Track.... and yes some do use it on the street.... but we feel it cutting the Amp Hours way to close and requires more maintenance and watching when you have a much lower Amp Hour Capacity.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...tive/atx30-rs/

We are also coming out with some higher Amp Hour Capacity versions of this model and have another called the ATX20--HD that is coming out next week that would be good option and very compact.

Quick Reply: How to lighten a 997, rear seat removel