New Member - Mismatching Wheel Offset Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 07:51 PM
Nick97
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Member - Mismatching Wheel Offset Issue

HI Rennlist! Long time lurker here...

Recently bought a (new to me) 997.2 C2S Cab with 40K miles. Can't stop smiling every time I step into the garage.

Cutting to the chase. I did a PPI and put on new tires on this car. During that process, nobody picked up on the fact that one of my rear OEM turbo wheels is for widebody (offset +51) and one of my OEM turbo wheels is for narrowbody (offset +67). I suspect this has to do with a minor accident that happened over 8 years ago. My paperwork shows that they replaced the wheel. The repair was done at the dealer and they must have replaced the stock narrowbody turbo wheel with the OEM widebody wheel.

It's crazy to me that after all these years, no one picked up on this error. I suppose I only noticed it because of this forum that got me thinking about spacers. That's when I went out looked at the car and noticed how one side looked so much more flush than the other.

Anyways, how do you all recommend that I fix this? Pick up an extra OEM widebody wheel? Or could I pick up a single 15mm spacer and just live with the 1mm difference?

Separately, does anyone know if having this offset discrepancy for such a long period of time have any affect on the car? Is this something I need to take care of right away? Does this even have an affect on driving characteristics?

Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-07-2019, 08:45 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 58 Posts

Congrats on a beautiful 997 Cab. Beautiful! My .02 worth.....get the appropriate narrow body wheel and sell the widebody wheel. Especially if you are not contemplating a wheel swap, lowering or any other mods. Difference in $$ should not be great and peace of mind and ability to properly align the car will be restored. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2019, 08:45 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Oh man that'd be annoying.

If it was me, I'd replace the wheel. Knowing that one was different from the other would nag at me. You can pick up used single rims on eBay. You could also try the usual breakers like LA Dismantlers.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Nick97
Track Day

Originally Posted by SFZ GT3
Congrats on a beautiful 997 Cab. Beautiful! My .02 worth.....get the appropriate narrow body wheel and sell the widebody wheel. Especially if you are not contemplating a wheel swap, lowering or any other mods. Difference in $$ should not be great and peace of mind and ability to properly align the car will be restored. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! I don't plan on doing many mods at all. Any reason you're against keeping the widebody wheel and getting another widebody wheel to match? I kind of like the flush look. Are there any known issues on running these widebody wheels on a narrowbody?

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Oh man that'd be annoying.

If it was me, I'd replace the wheel. Knowing that one was different from the other would nag at me. You can pick up used single rims on eBay. You could also try the usual breakers like LA Dismantlers.
Yeah, I'm a little bit annoyed, but what can you do? If this is the only unknown issue with this 10 year old car, I'd be thrilled. I'm already on ebay, and I'll check out LA Dismantlers. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-07-2019, 09:35 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

just buy another on ebay and sell the wrong one you have on ebay
Old 05-07-2019, 10:33 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

Sell the 51. You can always add spacers to the 67s
Old 05-08-2019, 02:12 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick97
Thanks for the advice! I don't plan on doing many mods at all. Any reason you're against keeping the widebody wheel and getting another widebody wheel to match? I kind of like the flush look. Are there any known issues on running these widebody wheels on a narrowbody?
I can't think of a reason not to go that route and have matching wide body wheels on both rears. Just make sure you get the right length lugs for the wide body wheel. If you can't find one on Ebay, try these guys: http://www.wheelenhancement.com/prod...=15:142&page=1

They show just about every Porsche wheel ever made on their website except yours but they obviously have resources so I'd give them a call and I'm sure they'll source one if they don't have one already. I've dealt with them before and found exactly what I needed.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:41 AM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 8202632
Sell the 51. You can always add spacers to the 67s
Nick97, this is why I suggest keeping the narrowbody (OEM) wheel. Spacers and appropriate wheel studs allow you to keep the stock wheels and "stance" them out the way you want. Just did that with my stock GTS wheels (non CL, yay!) by adding 8MM F and 12MM rear spacers . Got the look I wanted and have flexibility to change it in the future if I want.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

If you like the look of the widebody wheel, keep that one and add another just like it. It makes no sense to buy another wheel with an offset you know you don't like, then add the unsprung weight of additional spacers to it, which also increases the risk of high speed vibration, and then also have to buy different, longer lug nuts too. The mounting flange thickness of the widebody wheel should be the same as that of the narrow body wheel, so the stock length lug bolts work with either/both.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:59 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Get a new widebody wheel, sell the narrowbody one. Lugs shouldn't matter unless you are getting spacers.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:36 PM
Nick97
Track Day

Thanks everyone for the guidance. I'm going to try to swap to a wide body wheel since I do like the flush look and was thinking about getting spacers anyways.

Appreciate the advice regarding the lug nuts fitting. I totally would have assumed I needed new ones. Though I guess if that were the case, the dealer that originally installed the wrong wide body wheel would have noticed.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:16 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Yeah avoid spacers if at all possible. They are not a bad thing, but not the same as a perfect fitting wheel.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
If you like the look of the widebody wheel, keep that one and add another just like it. It makes no sense to buy another wheel with an offset you know you don't like, then add the unsprung weight of additional spacers to it, which also increases the risk of high speed vibration, and then also have to buy different, longer lug nuts too. The mounting flange thickness of the widebody wheel should be the same as that of the narrow body wheel, so the stock length lug bolts work with either/both.
You're right. My mistake. Thanks for correcting.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:48 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Agree with the wide body wheel recommendation. Its like a 16mm spacer. Makes the rears flush in the wheel well. But I would just look at both and go with the one you like better.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:36 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by mujeriega
Get a new widebody wheel, sell the narrowbody one. Lugs shouldn't matter unless you are getting spacers.
do this - I'm sure you will find a good oem widebody turbo wheel on eBay.

Quick Reply: New Member - Mismatching Wheel Offset Issue