2006 S Maintenance Costs

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 07:10 PM
Submariner2009
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 S Maintenance Costs

Friends,

I'm joining the ranks of 997 owners, a lifelong BMW enthusiast and found what I think is a nice starting point -- a 2006 Carrera S with 77K miles, two owners and as the PPI mechanic put it "on the right side of the equation" with "clear evidence of regular maintenance and no leaks or obvious abuse." No oil leaks to be found, no high rev codes, no AC leaks etc.

He did caution that most, if not all, of the rubber is original -- bushings, mounts etc. Nothing in need of immediate replacement need but as I put it (the owner of an early 90s BMW E30), "nearing the end of its useable life."

As I consider looking ahead to maintenance needs, can anyone give me a range to replace the following (assume knowledgeable enthusiast/independent shop):

** Engine mounts
** Radiator hoses
** Belts (not cracking yet but "glossy" to use his word -- not original but time to be replaced)
** Suspension bushings
** Steering rubber (although the column he said was fine)

Overall, he thought it drove well and represents a good example of something that was cared for but will need some potentially expensive work. His guess was the previous owner took it to the dealer, got a maintenance quote he didn't like and traded it in outright. I'm purchasing it from an independent dealer.

Welcome any thoughts/guidance. I drive 5K miles/year, mostly in city driving.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

I believe that a lot of owners trade when comes time to invest in major maintenance.

Don't forget water pump in your list of "to do" things, along with the 3 idler pulleys.... coil packs and plugs. One thing at a time, however some things are logically done together, like pulleys and water pump along with belt. If you ever get some exhaust work, then the coil packs become a lot more accessible and I would change plugs ans coils at the same time....

Unless it is a daily driver that sees lots of miles, you could get buy easily with doing one thing every month or every couple of months. In no time, you'll have it all done.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:30 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Check out the DIY stickie. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and saving some money, 997's are maintenance friendly. Where are you located since weather and mileage can play a role. I'm in Southern California and my 06 C2S has the original rubber (but far less miles then yours) and it's holding up fine.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ech-index.html
Old 05-07-2019, 08:43 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 407 Posts

I don’t think you necessarily need to do all that. I had my Boxster for 17 yrs, and when I sold it this year, it was still on its original hoses and steering system. My 07 C2S that I just got this year at 27k miles is on its original engine mount, hoses, and belt. I checked the belt, and it looks fine, so I ain’t replacing it yet. No harm in changing all that you listed, but maybe not needed.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:43 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

It sounds like a great foundation for years of enjoyment. Do the upgrades one or two at a time and drive it like you stole it! Once you get the main replacements completed, you will have a solid, sorted out beast.

you could get buy easily with doing one thing every month or every couple of months. In no time, you'll have it all done.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:50 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

Welcome and congrats! Sounds like a great ride.

The maintenance formula ive found is this: the typical DIY job on a 997 costs $100 in parts, the same job an an indy will cost you $1000, or $3000 at the dealer. If you like messing with cars it pays to do these projects yourself. Its also great bonding experience and these cars are easy and fun to work on.

That being said, 3 of the 5 items highlighted on the PPI are odd. Ive never heard of people needing to replace their coolant hoses (unless one is torn), or bushings on suspension / steering, especially with only 77k miles. Can you ask them to be more specific. The only thing that typically goes on the suspension is the front/rear strut mounts, bump stops (they erode but don't effect ride quality), sometimes a strut. I dunno, maybe some of the other guys can chime in.

As for the engine mounts and belts, those are dead simple DIY projects. The OEM mounts cost about $200 a piece, the OEMs will run about half that, and the Wevo semi-solids will run around $200 as well. The belt is maybe $80. The belt would take 10 minutes to replace. The mounts maybe 1hr, but you need a jack to support the engine.

Here are a couple usual suspects you likely want to budget/plan for:

1. 80k mile service. Replace plugs, coil packs, cabin filter, air filter, belt.
2. Expansion tank. Check your coolant expansion tank for any cracks. They tend to go.
3. Strut mounts. To check your strut mounts drive slow over bumps and listen for and clunks on the frontend. On the rears take some corners in rough roads and listen for any rattles coming from the rear seat area when the suspension is loaded up.
4. Water pumps. Need to be replaced every 4-5 years. If it hasn't been replaced you should keep and eye on it.
5. Brake flush. Ever 2 years. Did they check the PH?
6. Starter/alternator cable. To check get the car over 200F on oil temp then shut it off and immediately restart it. If its sluggish to start your cable needs to be replaced.

If you check my profile I also have an article about my first year costs which might help.

Enjoy! You will love it.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:00 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

For steering, they probably mean the outer tie rods. You sound like a guy who likes getting his hands dirty, so I would replace the inner tie rods as well, just be sure to get the proper inner tie rod tool. TheBruce has excellent DIYs posted throughout on the 997. His threads are gold. Gold I tell ya!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:52 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31
For steering, they probably mean the outer tie rods. You sound like a guy who likes getting his hands dirty, so I would replace the inner tie rods as well, just be sure to get the proper inner tie rod tool. TheBruce has excellent DIYs posted throughout on the 997. His threads are gold. Gold I tell ya!
Too funny. Thx @jeebus31. How do you diagnose a worn tie rod bushing? Are you just looking if its torn? I know some Boxster guys talked about "creaking".

Here is a post on replacing the outer rods. https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...ie-rods-386603. I would second the recommendation on NOT using a pickle fork. I believe the poster stated "its like serving birthday cake with a garden trowel". I used a tie rod puller from Harbor Freight when installing my Eibachs and it works like a charm.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Submariner2009
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Welcome and congrats! Sounds like a great ride.

The maintenance formula ive found is this: the typical DIY job on a 997 costs $100 in parts, the same job an an indy will cost you $1000, or $3000 at the dealer. If you like messing with cars it pays to do these projects yourself. Its also great bonding experience and these cars are easy and fun to work on.

That being said, 3 of the 5 items highlighted on the PPI are odd. Ive never heard of people needing to replace their coolant hoses (unless one is torn), or bushings on suspension / steering, especially with only 77k miles. Can you ask them to be more specific. The only thing that typically goes on the suspension is the front/rear strut mounts, bump stops (they erode but don't effect ride quality), sometimes a strut. I dunno, maybe some of the other guys can chime in.

As for the engine mounts and belts, those are dead simple DIY projects. The OEM mounts cost about $200 a piece, the OEMs will run about half that, and the Wevo semi-solids will run around $200 as well. The belt is maybe $80. The belt would take 10 minutes to replace. The mounts maybe 1hr, but you need a jack to support the engine.

Here are a couple usual suspects you likely want to budget/plan for:

1. 80k mile service. Replace plugs, coil packs, cabin filter, air filter, belt.
2. Expansion tank. Check your coolant expansion tank for any cracks. They tend to go.
3. Strut mounts. To check your strut mounts drive slow over bumps and listen for and clunks on the frontend. On the rears take some corners in rough roads and listen for any rattles coming from the rear seat area when the suspension is loaded up.
4. Water pumps. Need to be replaced every 4-5 years. If it hasn't been replaced you should keep and eye on it.
5. Brake flush. Ever 2 years. Did they check the PH?
6. Starter/alternator cable. To check get the car over 200F on oil temp then shut it off and immediately restart it. If its sluggish to start your cable needs to be replaced.

If you check my profile I also have an article about my first year costs which might help.

Enjoy! You will love it.
Sounds great many thanks!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Submariner2009
Advanced

Thanks I appreciate all the help and comments
Old 05-08-2019, 11:08 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Too funny. Thx @jeebus31. How do you diagnose a worn tie rod bushing? Are you just looking if its torn? I know some Boxster guys talked about "creaking".

Here is a post on replacing the outer rods. https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...ie-rods-386603. I would second the recommendation on NOT using a pickle fork. I believe the poster stated "its like serving birthday cake with a garden trowel". I used a tie rod puller from Harbor Freight when installing my Eibachs and it works like a charm.
Mine outer tie rod ball joints were torn AND the steering was creaking, so it was pretty easy. I would replace if you have either symptom. The inner tie rod joint was totally shot when I pulled out my steering rack - absolutely no firmness at all, it just flopped around.

Here is the inner tie rod tool (I don't remember off the top of my head what size adapter you need, but it's one of these from this kit)
Amazon Amazon
Here is the ball joint tool https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qu...tor-99849.html
Old 05-08-2019, 11:12 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 696 Likes on 433 Posts

I have an old 2006 Lexus with 200k miles on original coolant hoses. Modern coolant hoses seem to last a very long time. However, if there is a chance to replace them as a part of another job, I would replace hoses older than 15 years. For example, if you are in there replacing the water pump, there are a few of those hoses that can be replaced.

At 77K miles, I think you are overdue for some maintenance: water pump, accessory belt, three idle pulleys, and AOS
Old 05-09-2019, 06:28 AM
pv355
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 08 C2S that I bought in 2011 with 32k miles. I kept a spreadsheet of most my maintenance, miles, and cost. I hope it gives you some insight. My 997 was my daily driver until 2017. I also drove it in 5 or 6 HPDE events. I have 125k miles as of yesterday. I'm due for replacing the steering rubber.

Everything < 60k miles done at the dealership. The AOS on 4/14 and sensors on 12/14 was done at an indie shop. I did the rest.
The engine replacement parts was preventive and not completely necessary at the moment except the clutch, starter, and AOS. I think the previous owner had more to do with the low mileage clutch failure. I have 80k miles on this clutch and it still feels good.

Last edited by pv355; 05-09-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Quick Reply: 2006 S Maintenance Costs