Sponsored by:

Issue with car transportation

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:46 AM
Cotechia
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Issue with car transportation

I’m relocating from CT to Houston,TX and shipped my car. Chose one well reviewed company, that was not the cheapest and was hoping it would be all good.
Yesterday they delivered the car and my wife had to receive it as I am in a business trip. As she started reporting, the frustration increased.
The car came with dents and scratches on the drivers side and with stains on the soft top - it was on the first floor of the truck, below a 70’s Camaro!
I immediately contacted the shipper and will be starting the claim process today.
My question is about loss of value. Do you think this type of repair will be shown on a Carfax? If so, how much should I claim as the lost value. Some pictures below. There will be painting job involved, for sure.

Also, any recommendation in the west Houston area? Should I check with the local Porsche dealer?

The car is a 997.2 2011 C4S Cabrio, that I just got one month ago.
Thanks

Old 04-03-2019, 09:28 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

If you settle up with the carrier and leave the insurance company out of it you’ll be fine. You just want to avoid any conversation if you ever sell the car. But you have photos and information to back up your story - damage like that would not have any effect on the car’s value anyway. We’ve all had dents and dings.

Too bad they had to gouge the paint. Otherwise a PDR guy would make those dents disappear.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:09 AM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

So sorry about your car, but welcome to Houston! We have a very active PCA here, Check out Lone Star Region PCA on Facebook or online. Get Togethers every Saturday are a good place to meet people, find out the best repair shops - and paint & body shops
Old 04-03-2019, 12:16 PM
DaBigBR
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! Keep us posted on how the process goes. I've been curious about damage claims and I'm sure others have.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:42 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

Porsche North Houston, (which probably most people consider the best of the three dealerships in Houston) uses Caliber Collision near their dealership. There are many Caliber locations so check with Porsche North to see the location. They repainted and matched a silver door to perfection for me last year.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:54 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,912 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Wow what a shame - Sorry you have to deal with this
Hopefully your wife didn't sign off on the shippers Bill of Lading.
I'm sure brake fluid or tranny fluid leaked out on your cab top from a car above
Did you use USHIP internet service?
Old 04-04-2019, 08:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Man, that stinks - like moving isn't hectic enough.

Who was the shipper?
Old 04-04-2019, 06:50 PM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cotechia
I’m relocating from CT to Houston,TX and shipped my car. Chose one well reviewed company, that was not the cheapest and was hoping it would be all good.
Yesterday they delivered the car and my wife had to receive it as I am in a business trip. As she started reporting, the frustration increased.
The car came with dents and scratches on the drivers side and with stains on the soft top - it was on the first floor of the truck, below a 70’s Camaro!
I immediately contacted the shipper and will be starting the claim process today.
My question is about loss of value. Do you think this type of repair will be shown on a Carfax? If so, how much should I claim as the lost value. Some pictures below. There will be painting job involved, for sure.

Also, any recommendation in the west Houston area? Should I check with the local Porsche dealer?

The car is a 997.2 2011 C4S Cabrio, that I just got one month ago.
Thanks

Seeing things like this makes me a little sick. I know 'things' happen but it looks like there would be loading and protection plans in place so that these things do not happen very often. Good luck getting this straightened out
Bill

Old 04-04-2019, 09:37 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Just amazing, how can a transporter be so incompetent to do that type of damage. Really sorry man makes me sick. Hit right at home since I just had a 2011 C4S Cab also shipped and it was from LA to NC. It road on top the whole way and in the back so it wouldn't constantly have to be moved. Came without a single scratch. Since it was my girlfriends first Porsche I was so worried this would happen. Really hope it cleans up OK...good luck!
Old 04-05-2019, 08:54 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Who was the shipper? I would only use Intercity or Reliable. I'll be very surprised if it was either of them.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:43 AM
Cotechia
Advanced

Originally Posted by D1coach
So sorry about your car, but welcome to Houston! We have a very active PCA here, Check out Lone Star Region PCA on Facebook or online. Get Togethers every Saturday are a good place to meet people, find out the best repair shops - and paint & body shops
Thanks! As soon as I settle down, I will start joining
Old 04-06-2019, 09:47 AM
Cotechia
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaBigBR
Wow! Keep us posted on how the process goes. I've been curious about damage claims and I'm sure others have.
it is not evolving in the way I would like. They’ve asked for the pictures and I’ve send them. Now they are expecting pictures from the driver. I don’t understand why this is needed, as we have a report. And also, I bought this car 1 month, CPO. It would never be certified with this level of issues in the paint. Let’s see how this will evolve this week.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:48 AM
Cotechia
Advanced

Originally Posted by D1coach
Porsche North Houston, (which probably most people consider the best of the three dealerships in Houston) uses Caliber Collision near their dealership. There are many Caliber locations so check with Porsche North to see the location. They repainted and matched a silver door to perfection for me last year.
Great insight. I didn’t have the time yet to check places for the repair, will probably do it during the week.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:49 AM
Cotechia
Advanced

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Wow what a shame - Sorry you have to deal with this
Hopefully your wife didn't sign off on the shippers Bill of Lading.
I'm sure brake fluid or tranny fluid leaked out on your cab top from a car above
Did you use USHIP internet service?
she had to sign, otherwise the car would not be delivered. But she made note of all the issues
Old 04-06-2019, 09:50 AM
Cotechia
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
Man, that stinks - like moving isn't hectic enough.

Who was the shipper?
the shipper was All American trucking and transport.

Quick Reply: Issue with car transportation