Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help to identify component making ticking sound.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:13 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Need help to identify component making ticking sound.

My 997.2 is making a ticking/knocking sound during cold start and using a stethoscope I was able to trace the ticking sound coming from some kind of an air valve right beside the intake plenum. Review the pictures and you can see this valve sort of directs some air into the plenum. I checked my 2009 997.2 and it does not have a secondary air pump. Can someone knowledgeable tell me what this valve is and why it makes a ticking noise. I'll replace it if I know what it is for.

Last edited by HenryPcar; 03-29-2019 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:58 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

I also looked at some schematics on the AOS system, but this is not it. The AOS is routed from the front of the engine bay, not on the left side of this air valve.

Last edited by HenryPcar; 03-12-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Just be happy it’s not from a piston (bore scoring).
Old 03-12-2019, 10:42 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Just be happy it’s not from a piston (bore scoring).
I must say it gave me a scare initially, especially reading all the doomsday internet inputs on the knocking and clicking noise. I took it to a garage and without even having gone over the cause, the mechanic diagnosed it as a scoured cylinder. I finally took the initiative myself to get to the bottom of this and found out the ticking noise is from this valve. Now I have to find out what this valve does and why it ticks and knocks. I urge those encountering this ticking noise to use a stethoscope to see if it is the same issue. We all would sleep better knowing exactly the cause instead of second-guessing ourselves.

Last edited by HenryPcar; 03-29-2019 at 04:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HenryPcar:
Hootsama (11-04-2020), Panamera2014 (11-04-2020)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:32 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
I must say it gave me a scare initially, especially reading all the doomsday internet inputs on the knocking and clicking noise. I took it to a garage and without even having gone over the cause, the mechanic diagnosed it as a scoured cylinder. I finally took the initiative myself to get to the bottom of this and found out the ticking noise is from this valve. Now I have to find out what this valve does and why it ticks. I urge those encountering this ticking noise to use a stethoscope to see if it is the same issue. We all would sleep better knowing exactly the cause instead of second-guessing ourselves.
+1000. And that goes for all things on these cars. I keep seeing folks throw money and time at parts and labor.

My favorite thing about your ticking noise is the location of the device. It's right there, so easy to replace!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:48 AM
preelude
Racer

Received 380 Likes on 122 Posts

Looks like an EVAP purge valve.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:01 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by preelude
Looks like an EVAP purge valve.
Thanks, if it is just a simple purge valve, why is it making a ticking noise. It is not obvious until I use a stethoscope and put the prong to it.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:39 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 990 Posts

2009 C2S 132K miles

I will look at mine this weekend.... too busy this week. FWIW, mine makes a bunch of scary ticks and clicks during warmup. One you will get is the fuel injectors ... and from that area you are pointing to. I am not sure what is going on, but the sound comes on around 30 seconds into starting up cold and seems to turn on an off at random. The sound is like an electrical arc click... a very sharp, rhythmic tick.. not like a mechanical, metal-to-metal clack. I have another clack that starts just after the oil temp guuage starts to move from cold, and then disappears as the car gets to normal running temp. That one seems to come from the lower back underside near the tailpipe.

I have other scary noises. I can state simply, my engine is noisy until full warmup. Nothing terrifying, but given I am paranoid, I don't like these noises one bit. But they have also been with me for most of my ownership.... albeit a bit more now that the car has aged. I stopped in at the dealership twice now.... they think I am crazy and nothing to worry about. The first time I stopped in, they put the Porsche computer on the thing and the tech shrugged his shoulders.

Another point: My old indy, who was a Porsche dealer shop foreman for 20-some years, called me at about the time these 2009s came off warranty.. so he was just starting to see them. He asked me about my engine noise as one of his 2009 owners was asking about all the ticks. So.... at least these early 2009s are noisy.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-13-2019, 02:34 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

Yeah, my second question--after "what is it?", would be: "is it supposed to tick?"
Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 132K miles

I will look at mine this weekend.... too busy this week. FWIW, mine makes a bunch of scary ticks and clicks during warmup. One you will get is the fuel injectors ... and from that area you are pointing to. I am not sure what is going on, but the sound comes on around 30 seconds into starting up cold and seems to turn on an off at random. The sound is like an electrical arc click... a very sharp, rhythmic tick.. not like a mechanical, metal-to-metal clack. I have another clack that starts just after the oil temp guuage starts to move from cold, and then disappears as the car gets to normal running temp. That one seems to come from the lower back underside near the tailpipe.

I have other scary noises. I can state simply, my engine is noisy until full warmup. Nothing terrifying, but given I am paranoid, I don't like these noises one bit. But they have also been with me for most of my ownership.... albeit a bit more now that the car has aged. I stopped in at the dealership twice now.... they think I am crazy and nothing to worry about. The first time I stopped in, they put the Porsche computer on the thing and the tech shrugged his shoulders.

Another point: My old indy, who was a Porsche dealer shop foreman for 20-some years, called me at about the time these 2009s came off warranty.. so he was just starting to see them. He asked me about my engine noise as one of his 2009 owners was asking about all the ticks. So.... at least these early 2009s are noisy.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Yup, my 997.2 has exactly the same symptom. Doesn't happen right away after cold start, but it will tick within 30 secs, and will continue ticking for about 1 min. Then everything quiets down. It sure sounds like the solenoid clicking continuously and I wonder if it is normal, or some upstream problem that is emitting the on/off pulses. More trouble-shooting is warranted to see if its the valve or the abnormal signals it is getting. The car still runs, but I'm with you as far as getting to the bottom of this issue. At least for now its not the bore-scouring issue that is plaguing the forum by the scare mongols.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:30 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

deleted

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 03-13-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:01 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 232 Posts

That clicking is the evap purge solenoid. Nothing to worry about or replace. They tick from time to time and is normal and typically active during the warm up cycle. They are about $177, but will throw a code when bad. I believe a P0441.

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

The following users liked this post:
Frank996 (10-09-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RGS
That clicking is the evap purge solenoid. Nothing to worry about or replace. They tick from time to time and is normal and typically active during the warm up cycle. They are about $177, but will throw a code when bad. I believe a P0441.
Thanks RGS. Yes, I checked on the price and it is steep for a simple solenoid valve. I'll leave it as it is now and see if it gets progressively worse, or throw a code. The funny thing is that the clicking sound is almost in sync with the engine with a continuous tick....tick....tick noise and I at first thought it was from the valve trains lifters.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:53 AM
Panamera2014
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the pics
Old 11-04-2020, 06:31 AM
Panamera2014
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks

Quick Reply: Need help to identify component making ticking sound.