Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of putting up my car for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:20 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 206 Posts

Have you looked into registering your car in Montana under an LLC? I just had the same problem a few months ago with my new-to-me E92 M3 that was supercharged and couldn't pass smog to get registered without swapping the exhaust back and forth every year. No smog check there, had my license plates within 3 days. Cost me $800 including registration fees, then every year after the first it's only like $80, compared to ~$700 per year that Nevada would charge.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:22 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
Have you looked into registering your car in Montana under an LLC? I just had the same problem a few months ago with my new-to-me E92 M3 that was supercharged and couldn't pass smog to get registered without swapping the exhaust back and forth every year. No smog check there, had my license plates within 3 days. Cost me $800 including registration fees, then every year after the first it's only like $80, compared to ~$700 per year that Nevada would charge.
I don't even want to drive 2 hours to another county, what makes you think that I want to register my car in another state? lol. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:16 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
I don't even want to drive 2 hours to another county, what makes you think that I want to register my car in another state? lol. Thanks for the suggestion though.
You don't even have to leave your house, I did it all online in 10 minutes and they mailed me the plates. There's agents that handle everything for you for a fee.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Careful about BaT if you have anything but a spotless DME. They get really hung up on over revs there.
No over revs on the PPI I had done when I bought the car almost 5 years ago and should be no different now. Tough if not impossible to screw up the DME readings on a PDK car. But I can see how the BaT guys would make a big deal out of anything but a clean DME report. They do seem to be a bit on the **** side which in this case isn't necessarily a bad thing. Honestly, what's kept me from completing the process with them is the fact that I have two serious buyers I'm dealing with and the fact that BaT wants a total of 35 pictures minimum. How the hell do you take 35 pictures of a car without a bunch of virtual duplicates? I can see feeling like I'm on a waste of time mission walking around the car taking basically the same pictures over and over until it piles up to 35 or 40. If none of the two I'm working with pan out I guess I'll bring a cold one out there and start shooting away.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Unfortunately I do not have any stocks parts, I sold most of them. I have some left. My 997 is modded way too much, took me all morning to gather my mods list and I still think I'm missing some stuff. lol. I don't even want to think about going back to stock, nearly impossible for me. Dang, that sucks, I sure hope someone will appreciate my 997 as much as I do. I don't want to go through Autotrader if I don't have to. I'm not desperate to sell, it's just a pain in the butt for me to drive up to the mountains to register, there's been blizzards up there every week and don't want to make that drive just to register my car. I have thought about letting it expire and register in the summer. That way it's not so painful.
If you're not in a hurry, hang in there with what you have. As the sales guy I deal with at the local Porsche dealer says: "There's an *** for every seat". And as I've said before, I was really taken aback by the broad RL rejection of the most expensive and highest quality mods available and installed on my GTS. Mods ranging from exhausts, wheels and even superchargers are discussed here almost daily so on the surface, the forum appears to be very mod friendly. Not really so as it turns out and all I've done is seats, wheels, lowering springs and a mildly customized OEM steering wheel.

As someone suggested, try to register your car out of state on line and then list it on Autotrader. You'll reach a much bigger audience which also means you'll have a better chance of finding someone who will love what you've done to your car since that's exactly or close enough to what he or she would have done to it but now they get it all for free or next to it.

Love your car btw. One of my favorites on the forum. If you don't have one already, get a Carfax report and save it in PDF format so you can forward it. Almost without exception, every single inquiry I've received so far has asked for it so you may as well have it handy. Best of luck with the sale.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
You don't even have to leave your house, I did it all online in 10 minutes and they mailed me the plates. There's agents that handle everything for you for a fee.
Good to know, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:50 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sandwedge
If you're not in a hurry, hang in there with what you have. As the sales guy I deal with at the local Porsche dealer says: "There's an *** for every seat". And as I've said before, I was really taken aback by the broad RL rejection of the most expensive and highest quality mods available and installed on my GTS. Mods ranging from exhausts, wheels and even superchargers are discussed here almost daily so on the surface, the forum appears to be very mod friendly. Not really so as it turns out and all I've done is seats, wheels, lowering springs and a mildly customized OEM steering wheel.

As someone suggested, try to register your car out of state on line and then list it on Autotrader. You'll reach a much bigger audience which also means you'll have a better chance of finding someone who will love what you've done to your car since that's exactly or close enough to what he or she would have done to it but now they get it all for free or next to it.

Love your car btw. One of my favorites on the forum. If you don't have one already, get a Carfax report and save it in PDF format so you can forward it. Almost without exception, every single inquiry I've received so far has asked for it so you may as well have it handy. Best of luck with the sale.
Thanks for your suggestions, I really appreciate you taking the time to type all of that. With that said, I'm overwhelmed by PM's this morning, been replying to all of them. I have a very interested buyer, sounds like a car guy. He's also looking for a GT3 and or a GT4 but saw my post and really like the car. We spoke for a long time last night so we'll see what he has to say today. I should be happy but I'm actually feeling kinda sad. I personalized it the way I liked and spend a lot of money and time on my 997. So yes, my mods are basically free, tastefully modded and in my opinion, best looking car out there for the price I'm listing for.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Tastefully modded and in my opinion, best looking car out there for the price I'm listing for.
I opened up this thread again tonight to let you know you probably should have priced it $10 higher or so if not in a hurry to sell, but looks like maybe that advice is too late now. It's not going to be a good day as you watch it drive away, I can guarantee you that.

Sandwedge's won't be so bad because he'll take his briefcase full of cash and buy one of the Turbos he's been looking at then place a new order with Forgeline

Can't believe the 3 997s that have been been put up for sale the last 3 weeks - this one, Sandwedge's, and the red one in FL with the Vorsteiner mods. I may have to start a 997 exotic car business just buying super cool 997s that have been modded right and selling them at a premium - a sort of Sloan Cars for 997s only. Just need #bmwtye to sell his to have some color choices for my prospective clients Prospective buyers can give me the list of service or additions they want and I'll have all that done when they come to pick-up their car.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for your suggestions, I really appreciate you taking the time to type all of that. With that said, I'm overwhelmed by PM's this morning, been replying to all of them. I have a very interested buyer, sounds like a car guy. He's also looking for a GT3 and or a GT4 but saw my post and really like the car. We spoke for a long time last night so we'll see what he has to say today. I should be happy but I'm actually feeling kinda sad. I personalized it the way I liked and spend a lot of money and time on my 997. So yes, my mods are basically free, tastefully modded and in my opinion, best looking car out there for the price I'm listing for.
Sure thing. Just glad to share my experience if it can be of any help. Really hope your "very interested buyer" is the real thing. I've had plenty of those who I never heard from again. None of them looked at the car in person. I actually haven't had anyone look at the car in person yet but do have one tomorrow (Friday afternoon). You may be in a better position than me though since you went all out with your mods. To a buyer who favors mods, I'm guessing the more the better as long as it's done right. Mine is far behind yours to someone who really wants a modded 997. So maybe it's the more the better or nothing at all.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914
I opened up this thread again tonight to let you know you probably should have priced it $10 higher or so if not in a hurry to sell, but looks like maybe that advice is too late now. It's not going to be a good day as you watch it drive away, I can guarantee you that.

Sandwedge's won't be so bad because he'll take his briefcase full of cash and buy one of the Turbos he's been looking at then place a new order with Forgeline

Can't believe the 3 997s that have been been put up for sale the last 3 weeks - this one, Sandwedge's, and the red one in FL with the Vorsteiner mods. I may have to start a 997 exotic car business just buying super cool 997s that have been modded right and selling them at a premium - a sort of Sloan Cars for 997s only. Just need #bmwtye to sell his to have some color choices for my prospective clients Prospective buyers can give me the list of service or additions they want and I'll have all that done when they come to pick-up their car.
Well I have the title but.that briefcase won't be full enough no matter what I move on to . Drifting away from the turbos and never thought I would say this but have been looking at 991 GTS's. I think it could become somewhat presentable with the usual exhaust, wheel, offset and lowering treatment. Been trying really hard to get my hands on a low mileage 2011 or 2012 997 GTS but they're next to impossible to find, at least in black which as much of a PIA it is, is my preferred color on the late model 911's. There was a 2012 in San Fransisco with just 12,000 miles on the clock. Flew out the door at full asking price two days after being listed. No matter what I end up with and what I do with it I will always see the 997 as a better looking car than the 991.

Really like your idea of some kind of venue for modded Porsches. There are specific venues for customized almost anything so why not for P-cars? Would save those who don't want a boring factory stock car a lot of time and would save sellers with modded cars time too. Lost count long ago of those interested in my car asking if I have the stock exhaust, stock wheels and seats. I hesitate to mention that in the listing since that applies something negative. As is well known by know, I don't see neither my wheels, nor my GT2 seats or the Sharkwerks bypass pipes as negatives so I just leave it alone.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Really like your idea of some kind of venue for modded Porsches. There are specific venues for customized almost anything so why not for P-cars? Would save those who don't want a boring factory stock car a lot of time and would save sellers with modded cars time too. Lost count long ago of those interested in my car asking if I have the stock exhaust, stock wheels and seats. I hesitate to mention that in the listing since that applies something negative. As is well known by know, I don't see neither my wheels, nor my GT2 seats or the Sharkwerks bypass pipes as negatives so I just leave it alone.
Additional benefit to the business model is for the mod crowd that has me installing seats, exhausts, wheels, etc I'd have a nice supply of OEM parts to sell back to people who aren't fully modded when trying to convert their cars back to stock for sale - need crossover cats, a stock airbox, and some Sport Design Wheels - check...

I'm not really serious about this as I'm not in a financial position to make it happen, but would really love to, as it would let me do what I love to do every day, and earn a living at it.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Additional benefit to the business model is for the mod crowd that has me installing seats, exhausts, wheels, etc I'd have a nice supply of OEM parts to sell back to people who aren't fully modded when trying to convert their cars back to stock for sale - need crossover cats, a stock airbox, and some Sport Design Wheels - check...

I'm not really serious about this as I'm not in a financial position to make it happen, but would really love to, as it would let me do what I love to do every day, and earn a living at it.
I hear you. Could turn into a big undertaking, both financially and time wise. If you have a full time job or a business to run already it would take some pondering for sure. But again....great idea.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

I can still price it $10 higher, the car isn't sold until money is wired to my account and cleared. lol. I have this car for over 9 years and honestly never thought I was going to sell it. I just don't want the hassle of eventually having to register this car out of state. I don't know if modified Porsches is a good business to get into, there are a few of us it appears, most Porsche owners just wants a stock car.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Sure thing. Just glad to share my experience if it can be of any help. Really hope your "very interested buyer" is the real thing. I've had plenty of those who I never heard from again. None of them looked at the car in person. I actually haven't had anyone look at the car in person yet but do have one tomorrow (Friday afternoon). You may be in a better position than me though since you went all out with your mods. To a buyer who favors mods, I'm guessing the more the better as long as it's done right. Mine is far behind yours to someone who really wants a modded 997. So maybe it's the more the better or nothing at all.
We'll see, I don't have my hopes too high yet until I see the money. I can tell there are a lot of tire kickers already, I might have to make that horrible drive to register my car and enjoy it until it's sold. I am in no hurry to sell. I don't need the money, just want to avoid the hassle and trying to free up some space in the garage since my teenage son will be driving in the summer. I had thought about giving it to him but I remember when I was 16 and giving him a 500 plus hp car doesn't seem like a good idea.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:20 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

We'll see, I don't have my hopes too high yet until I see the money. I can tell there are a lot of tire kickers already, I might have to make that horrible drive to register my car and enjoy it until it's sold. I am in no hurry to sell. I don't need the money, just want to avoid the hassle and trying to free up some space in the garage since my teenage son will be driving in the summer. I had thought about giving it to him but I remember when I was 16 and giving him a 500 plus hp car doesn't seem like a good idea.
Prepare yourself for more of them. Latest one for me: "I'll just happen to be driving north on I 75 tomorrow and will be passing by Sarasota around mid day. I would like to test drive your car at that time. What time works for you?" Maybe this sounds like a serious buyer to some but it didn't quiet cut it for me.

Quick Reply: Thinking of putting up my car for sale