Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price Check/Dallas Motorsports Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 01:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
After viewing those dealership pics, the center of the steering wheel looks wrong to my eye, there are several pics of it, and it looks like the plastic is bulging or deforming around something? Could this be from an airbag being improperly installed after a crash? Maybe that's what caused that odd deforming on the driver side seat back.

My -06 C4S wheel looked like that too so seems to be normal.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Hey Guys, thank you all for your feedback. We landed on a price that was agreeable, I put a deposit down, and I'm having a PPI done on the car tomorrow at Mayo Performance.
That's what I was trying to do with a car in California but was told that by CA law, the car has to be paid for in full for them to "hold it" for me long enough to get the PPI done. Porsche dealer. So I was asked to fork over about $100K, then get the PPI done and if I didn't like the PPI results I would get my money back. What if the dealer saw nothing problematic with the PPI? I can see an ugly legal battle building as a result of this kind of arrangement. Unless perhaps I had in writing something to the effect of "at buyer's sole discretion" with respect to pulling out after the PPI was done.

That said, never heard of a dealer who won't hold a car for a day or two with a $5K or $10K deposit to get the PPI done. Anyone know if this really is the law in CA or just dealership BS?
Old 03-07-2019, 02:07 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
That's what I was trying to do with a car in California but was told that by CA law, the car has to be paid for in full for them to "hold it" for me long enough to get the PPI done. Porsche dealer. So I was asked to fork over about $100K, then get the PPI done and if I didn't like the PPI results I would get my money back. What if the dealer saw nothing problematic with the PPI? I can see an ugly legal battle building as a result of this kind of arrangement. Unless perhaps I had in writing something to the effect of "at buyer's sole discretion" with respect to pulling out after the PPI was done.

That said, never heard of a dealer who won't hold a car for a day or two with a $5K or $10K deposit to get the PPI done. Anyone know if this really is the law in CA or just dealership BS?
I'd have to defer to the CA resident experts, but that sounds like their "policy", not CA state law. Which I find odd, as CA law typically favors the consumer and the employee (vs. the business).

I would be very skeptical about forking over the money on their word that they would give you a refund if the PPI did not come back favorable. In my situation, I have e-mail exchanges with the seller stating that if we don't come to terms based on the PPI, they would refund my money. Since I have that in writing, if something were to go sideways, I would just go to my credit card company and dispute the charge. It's a whole other ball of wax if you wire $100k, because then you would almost definitely need to raise a big stink and/or go to court to get your money back.

I don't know, it sounds kind of fishy. Do you know anyone here who has bought from that dealer before? How are their ratings online? I'd try another sales rep or even ask for a manager if you really want that car.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:57 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

I'd have to defer to the CA resident experts, but that sounds like their "policy", not CA state law. Which I find odd, as CA law typically favors the consumer and the employee (vs. the business).

I would be very skeptical about forking over the money on their word that they would give you a refund if the PPI did not come back favorable. In my situation, I have e-mail exchanges with the seller stating that if we don't come to terms based on the PPI, they would refund my money. Since I have that in writing, if something were to go sideways, I would just go to my credit card company and dispute the charge. It's a whole other ball of wax if you wire $100k, because then you would almost definitely need to raise a big stink and/or go to court to get your money back.

I don't know, it sounds kind of fishy. Do you know anyone here who has bought from that dealer before? How are their ratings online? I'd try another sales rep or even ask for a manager if you really want that car.
I did ask to speak to a manager but after 15 minutes on hold I hung up. Not sure I want to do business with this dealership after this initial introduction. Even if the law this sales rep. refers to actually exists I don't see what stops the dealership from extending the courtesy to a customer looking to spend $100K by allowing me to pre-pay for the PPI with a credit card over the phone, adding whatever deposit we agree on and taking the car off the lot for a couple of hours. With the understanding that if someone calls or stops by during those hours and wants to buy the car on the dealers exact terms, I'm out of luck and the cost of the PPI but would get the deposit refunded. I wouldn't be impressed with this arrangement but would accept. Wasn't offered though which gives me an idea of how this dealer operates.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:30 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

The guys at Mayo are top notch.. They are great!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:51 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The guys at Mayo are top notch.. They are great!
Thanks, Jake! I couldn't agree more!

I also had the chance to talk to Jud at your shop, and it sounds like you had the chance to see the pics of the #6 cylinder I sent over yesterday. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to have a look.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:00 AM
BradtheAg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Late to the party here but I'm a big fan of Dallas Motorsports. Great guys
Old 03-08-2019, 12:15 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by BradtheAg
Late to the party here but I'm a big fan of Dallas Motorsports. Great guys
Glad to hear it. I've never bought a car out-of-state, much less sight unseen. But Dallas Motorsports and Mayo Performance have been very accommodating.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:47 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

GIG, are you shipping it or driving it home?
Old 03-08-2019, 06:18 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by jll1011
GIG, are you shipping it or driving it home?
Driving it. I just booked my one-way flight for next Friday night and will be driving it back Saturday. Dallas Motorsports quoted me about $900 for shipping for the company they work with, which sounds about right from the research I've done for that distance. I travel a lot for work, so I have a ton of Southwest points. It will be much cheaper for me this way.

Dallas was on the edge of the radius around Denver that I would consider driving (roughly 800 miles) vs. shipping a car back. I can drive it back in one day, albeit a very long day. I wasn't excited about putting 800 miles on it right out of the shoot, but in the long run, it won't matter. I'm going to drive this car. Plus, it will be a fun way to get to know the car I just hope the weather cooperates.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:37 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I picked mine up in California and brought it back to Texas. 1700 glorious miles. It was a good couple of days. You will enjoy the time. Congrats.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:56 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,444 Likes on 4,106 Posts

Best way to get to know and enjoy a new car like the 911 - you'll love it. Drove mine back from Pittsburgh to SC and my wife's from Detroit to SC.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:48 AM
JoshGordon
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Dallas was on the edge of the radius around Denver that I would consider driving (roughly 800 miles) vs. shipping a car back. I can drive it back in one day, albeit a very long day. I wasn't excited about putting 800 miles on it right out of the shoot, but in the long run, it won't matter. I'm going to drive this car. Plus, it will be a fun way to get to know the car I just hope the weather cooperates.
I drove mine back from Vegas to Denver (750 miles) - that was a fantastic drive and a great way to get to know the car. Granted it was July so the weather wasn't really a factor - hopefully it cooperates for you!
Old 03-09-2019, 09:27 AM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 184 Posts

Weather is forecasted to be good along your route home next Saturday, I think you are good. Congratulations!
Make sure you order a Valentine One and bring it along for the trip. A necessary tool for any long trip in a Porsche.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2019, 12:30 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by TYPE911
Weather is forecasted to be good along your route home next Saturday, I think you are good. Congratulations!
Make sure you order a Valentine One and bring it along for the trip. A necessary tool for any long trip in a Porsche.

Cheers
Thanks! Yeah, unless there is a major shift in weather patterns later in the week, next weekend's forecast is lookin' good.

Good call on the radar/laser detector. I haven't owned one in years. I was under the impression that most departments at highway patrols have gone to laser and that by the time you detect laser, it's too late. Is that not the case?

Quick Reply: Price Check/Dallas Motorsports Experience?