Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price Check/Dallas Motorsports Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 06:25 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Price Check/Dallas Motorsports Experience?

I was hoping to get some feedback on this car and was curious what you all think a fair price for this car is. I'm also interested if any of you have had any experience with Dallas Motorsports, good, bad, or indifferent.

I came across this car a couple of weeks ago while searching Autotrader. My initial reaction is that this is a $41k-$42k car. I spoke with a sales rep a couple of times today, and he's pretty convinced that their $44,900 price is fair. I gave him an example of one that sold with lower mileage and more options for the same price (a Rennlist sale here), and a similarly equipped car with the same mileage that was a couple years older (an '05) that went for $6k less at Porsche of North Scottsdale (I just missed that one). Both the examples I gave him were one-owner cars with clean Carfax reports, as is the one they're selling, even though they bought theirs at auction.

I did a search, and read a couple of positive experiences on the 993 forum with guys that said they had purchased cars through Dallas Motorsports. I was initially shying away from non-Porsche dealers during my search, but this one does check all of my boxes if I can get a deal done. Anyone here have any direct experience dealing with them? They claimed to be Porsche experts, but couldn't even pull a DME report for me. That's not the end of the world (as I would have that done with a PPI), but that strikes me as odd considering the line of business they're in. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

07 C2S - Dallas Motorworks
Old 03-04-2019, 07:28 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I can’t speak to Dallas, but that is a nice looking car. One of my favorite colors as well. Certainly worth evaluating further.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:36 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by jll1011
I can’t speak to Dallas, but that is a nice looking car. One of my favorite colors as well. Certainly worth evaluating further.
Thanks. I certainly am. Any thoughts on the price?
Old 03-04-2019, 07:46 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Pretty common to see prices really fluctuate based on miles, options and condition. I would search for recent sales as you have been to compare. Seems a bit high based on mileage but I have not analyzed pricing for a while. If they have no maintenance records that’s a negative for their higher price. I paid a slight premium for my 997 because owner had all maintenance records.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:13 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by jll1011
Pretty common to see prices really fluctuate based on miles, options and condition. I would search for recent sales as you have been to compare. Seems a bit high based on mileage but I have not analyzed pricing for a while. If they have no maintenance records that’s a negative for their higher price. I paid a slight premium for my 997 because owner had all maintenance records.
I tend to agree. Thank you. The car is a one-owner car according to Carfax, but Dallas Motorsports wasn't that owner. Buying from a one-owner, private party WITH the service records is definitely a plus.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:07 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Make sure and do NOT get the PPI at RAC in Dallas. When it comes to these cars the prices are all over the board. Give it another month and prices will start to climb coming into spring. Spending a few thousand more on a car will not matter a couple months after you own the car. Get a car that speaks to you.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:30 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

That price is way too high. You can buy a 997.2 for that much.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:09 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
Yes, a base 997.2. Not a C2S manual with full leather unless it was a "I got super lucky" car. I sold my 2009 C4S with a similar build and color, similar mileage, for $10k more.

As far as Dallas Motorsports goes; they are a very, very good shop to work with. A ton of PCA members and enthusiasts around the Dallas area highly recommend them; we got our GT4 through them and it was a superb experience. We first tried RAC and had a bad experience.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:10 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
Make sure and do NOT get the PPI at RAC in Dallas. When it comes to these cars the prices are all over the board. Give it another month and prices will start to climb coming into spring. Spending a few thousand more on a car will not matter a couple months after you own the car. Get a car that speaks to you.
Agreed. I would not recommend RAC. Dallas Motorsports is top notch however. I have met Carl a few times: he is a great guy and actually trustworthy, unlike most people in this industry.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:15 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by Balr14
I disagree. 997.2 S's (I realize the base Carerra .2 makes roughly the same horsepower of the .1 S's) with a manual transmission that either A) have not been in an accident or B) don't have lunar miles on them, are not attainable in the $40k's. After countless hours of research, I believe a clean, low mileage .1 S is the sweet spot for my price range. This particular car I'm looking at might be a bit high, but not crazy high based on the cars I've seen, and missed out on, over the last couple of months of serious shopping.

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Yes, a base 997.2. Not a C2S manual with full leather unless it was a "I got super lucky" car. I sold my 2009 C4S with a similar build and color, similar mileage, for $10k more.

As far as Dallas Motorsports goes; they are a very, very good shop to work with. A ton of PCA members and enthusiasts around the Dallas area highly recommend them; we got our GT4 through them and it was a superb experience. We first tried RAC and had a bad experience.
Good to know. Do you have any recommendations on where to have a PPI done if I can agree on a price with Dallas Motorworks?

Old 03-05-2019, 12:20 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by doclouie
I've read all about RAC in Dallas here and on other forums, and that's all I need to know. I've even read multiple accounts of potential buyers bringing a car into RAC for a PPI, only to have RAC call the seller and offer to buy the car out from under the PPI customer. No thank you!

Any recommendations on where to have a good PPI performed?
Old 03-05-2019, 01:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
I disagree. 997.2 S's (I realize the base Carerra .2 makes roughly the same horsepower of the .1 S's) with a manual transmission that either A) have not been in an accident or B) don't have lunar miles on them, are not attainable in the $40k's. After countless hours of research, I believe a clean, low mileage .1 S is the sweet spot for my price range. This particular car I'm looking at might be a bit high, but not crazy high based on the cars I've seen, and missed out on, over the last couple of months of serious shopping.
I think you're right. These "price check" threads are notorious for ending up in all the wrong places. Seems like they basically turn into a competition of who can justify the lowest price, being the most skilled negotiator. I'm shopping too now and the only thing that matters to me is what the car I'm looking for is listed for at various dealers, allowing for adjustments for mileage, options, warranty remaining etc. Most dealers seem to price their cars pretty close to what they want for the car these days. Always a little wiggle room but forget about getting a car listed at $45K for $40K for example. Unless the car has issues and they're just eager to get rid of it.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:11 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.

Good to know. Do you have any recommendations on where to have a PPI done if I can agree on a price with Dallas Motorworks?
I had one done at Fix 'n Go in Plano. Maybe 15 minutes from Wylie (Dallas Motorsports).
Old 03-05-2019, 02:13 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I think you're right. These "price check" threads are notorious for ending up in all the wrong places. Seems like they basically turn into a competition of who can justify the lowest price, being the most skilled negotiator. I'm shopping too now and the only thing that matters to me is what the car I'm looking for is listed for at various dealers, allowing for adjustments for mileage, options, warranty remaining etc. Most dealers seem to price their cars pretty close to what they want for the car these days. Always a little wiggle room but forget about getting a car listed at $45K for $40K for example. Unless the car has issues and they're just eager to get rid of it.
I somehow got a mid-mile manual 4S from a dealer that I had a relationship with for $49,900. But seriously, it was a $55k car easily, yet they knew me, didn't know Porsche, and probably paid $43k for it, so all good! That is just luck however; those deals don't come along often.

I sold my 991 to get it. Great car, but the 4S wasn't for me.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
I somehow got a mid-mile manual 4S from a dealer that I had a relationship with for $49,900. But seriously, it was a $55k car easily, yet they knew me, didn't know Porsche, and probably paid $43k for it, so all good! That is just luck however; those deals don't come along often.

I sold my 991 to get it. Great car, but the 4S wasn't for me.
Well done . Based on what I've heard so far, getting much more than $2K off a $95K or a $100K car seems to be tough even with no trade and cash in hand.

Quick Reply: Price Check/Dallas Motorsports Experience?