Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 997.2 Sight-Unseen

Old 02-06-2019, 12:57 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying 997.2 Sight-Unseen

I am considering a 997.2 in NJ, but live several hours away by plane. I was initially going to base the purchase on the results of a PPI, but have read a few posts suggesting that this is not a good idea (e.g., https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...fail-long.html). Is this a one-off or is it crazy to purchase sight-unseen? People must do this all the time, no?
Old 02-06-2019, 01:02 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

I would say yes if it's exactly the spec you want, and two your buying a warranty along with it. Otherwise I would slow down and find a car you can see and test drive, while the market might be smaller in NY for good cars, it's worth your time to see it in person. If your a PCA member you might be able to see other similar cars through their classifieds.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:18 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

I have purchased several cars "unseen". How's your rapport with the seller? The PPI tech? Fly there with the check in your pocket. If it isn't up to snuff, get back on plane.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:27 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

I think buying cars unseen is the exception, not common. I've owned a total of 36 cars, with only one bought unseen. How about telling us more about this car, like mileage, how you found it, maintenance history, etc.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:41 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by swingwing
I think buying cars unseen is the exception, not common. I've owned a total of 36 cars, with only one bought unseen. How about telling us more about this car, like mileage, how you found it, maintenance history, etc.
Sure. It is a 2009 911 C2 with PDK, SC and has ~41k miles on it (https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0455/overview/). It is a two-owner car and has a clean CARFAX. The seller sent the results of a PPI that was done at a local Porsche dealer a couple months back and it looks fine. Of course, I would still want to have my own done.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:56 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

If you feel satisfied, you should talk to the owner, if they are evasive or don't know when repairs or maintenance was done I would say that is a red flag. If you have a good mechanic, you will probably want them to go over the car anyways if you buy it. One thing you can't see from pictures is light wear and tear on both interior and exterior surfaces, especially in lower light. Trim bits can get scratched/scuffed easily, and don't always show, even in high resolution images. Usually wear will be heavier on the drivers side.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:21 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Thanks. He said that he did most if not all of the maintenance since he bought the car and that it wasn't anything more than routine oil changes, etc. In other words, no paperwork (unless he has receipts for the oil, etc.).

He sent me a video as well as additional pictures of the exterior and interior, which (perhaps not surprisingly) show little wear (possibly a slight crease on the driver's side seat).
Old 02-06-2019, 03:36 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I live 600 miles from the car I bought. Use your ppi to verify that everything is perfect or to list all flaws. I still flew with a check in my pocket and drove it for a mile before I bought it and drove it home.How far from the car are you?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:53 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jaskfri
I live 600 miles from the car I bought. Use your ppi to verify that everything is perfect or to list all flaws. I still flew with a check in my pocket and drove it for a mile before I bought it and drove it home.How far from the car are you?
I'm about 900 miles. I've thought about doing the same, but my wife would probably divorce me if I left her alone with the kids for a couple days to buy a car that she already thinks is impractical :-)
Old 02-06-2019, 06:03 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jazz11man1
I'm about 900 miles. I've thought about doing the same, but my wife would probably divorce me if I left her alone with the kids for a couple days to buy a car that she already thinks is impractical :-)
I know the feeling! My wife hates my car (2009 C2S cab). I had to buy it sight unseen and have it shipped. I never saw it until it got here. It worked out fine thanks to the company that did the PPI and a good dealer. Wife thinks I should have bought a Lexus or something else big and slow.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:23 PM
adnan76
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in ATL and I bought my 997.2 from rural PA, (830 miles away) and drove it back. I did this despite talking to the SA at the Porsche dealership where it was serviced.
I would not recommend buying a car like this sight-unseen... what if the steering feels looser than you expect? or one tail pipe is sootier than the other? or smells awful? Getting that extended test drive really gave me peace of mind before handing over the check.

Take your kid with you and enjoy the ride back! I don't recall having more than a 30 second discussion with my wife about it
Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It's an easy 2 day drive or a one way ticket back home if the car flunks your inspection. It will be memorable either way. The only way to be sure you'll like it is to see it.

You could always do a one day round trip to inspect and buy if you like it and then still ship it.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:38 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Balr14
I know the feeling! My wife hates my car (2009 C2S cab). I had to buy it sight unseen and have it shipped. I never saw it until it got here. It worked out fine thanks to the company that did the PPI and a good dealer. Wife thinks I should have bought a Lexus or something else big and slow.
Mine would prefer that I drove an SUV
Old 02-06-2019, 06:41 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by adnan76
I live in ATL and I bought my 997.2 from rural PA, (830 miles away) and drove it back. I did this despite talking to the SA at the Porsche dealership where it was serviced.
I would not recommend buying a car like this sight-unseen... what if the steering feels looser than you expect? or one tail pipe is sootier than the other? or smells awful? Getting that extended test drive really gave me peace of mind before handing over the check.

Take your kid with you and enjoy the ride back! I don't recall having more than a 30 second discussion with my wife about it
You were able to drive the car back w/o handing over the check first?!

Unfortunately, I can't afford to lose a day of work due to driving. Otherwise it would be a blast. I still remember making a similar trip with my dad when I was younger.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:49 PM
adnan76
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jazz11man1
You were able to drive the car back w/o handing over the check first?!

Unfortunately, I can't afford to lose a day of work due to driving. Otherwise it would be a blast. I still remember making a similar trip with my dad when I was younger.
Sorry, I should clarify, the extended test drive was me tearing up the hills on the backroads an hour outside of Scranton for about an hour- the seller was an extremely cool guy. Handed him a check and then hit the road with a smile on my face. Stopped overnight in DC to show it off to my little nephews.

Good luck whatever you choose, a well sorted 997.2 is a fantastic car! I've had my higher mileage one for about three years now, and it never gets old.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying 997.2 Sight-Unseen