Sponsored by:

997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 09:01 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Even if not specific as to the failure modes, how many 9A1 engine failures have you rebuilt so far...

and how many were due to timing chain failures - you said unless a problem was brought up specifically
I suppose the important question is how many were rebuilt due to catastrophic failure such as bore scoring and not attributable to customer abuse (missed shift and etc). I am sure there are a whole lot of missed shifts out there. I have seen my fair share at track days throughout the years.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:46 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Its really easy to start, and fuel a fire with mention of these types of issues. I call anything that I see with my own eyes just once an "instance". We record these, and document them in case we see the same issue later. If I see the same issue twice, with the same underlying conditions, and similar engine history, only then do I consider it a "mode of failure".

I have not had a 9a1 engine here as of yet with this same exact set of symptoms, based on what Bronz had explained via phone, and here on the thread.

We'll see what happens, and Bronz and I will discuss sharing the findings here on the thread, as well as the process.
The following users liked this post:
seatbelt123 (01-06-2023)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:05 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Sweet. Good info.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:08 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 732 Posts

I know in the past some members got defensive for Porsche as a brand. I know you (Jake) took some grief.

But with ten years of 9A1 production there are many of us who hunger for knowledge from sources with experience. There has been little information for us.

Getting personal, with 120K miles should I be doing anything beyond the norm? Pete warned me, after attending your school, that 9A1 chain tensioners can wear out. Is there more? What might be in my near, or distant, future? Everything seems great, but maybe my hearing is failing!!! Is it time for a 9A1 school, or does reliability deem that unnecessary? Paranoia can be Hell 8)

I'm not trying to push here for release of details, but rather proactively request to the Forum in general that should anything be shared, let's be adults about it and give Jake the appreciation he deserves. No point in shooting the messenger, whether good or bad news!!!

Good luck with the upcoming evaluation. I'm looking forward to following your journey.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:48 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

l agree.. This is where cars come when they are dead.. We don’t even perform oil services here. Most of what we see is dead, or dying.. The rare occurrence is when someone wants to perform an elective build.

I vowed not to discuss the issues we have found with the 9a1 publicly. To date I’ve kept my promise, and 9 years after we cracked the first one open, not a word has been shared unless an owner brought it up first.

People no longer appreciate the truth and reality. It’s all unicorns and rainbows.
Thanks Jake Raby for taking the time to respond to this thread. I have read many of your threads in the past and appreciate the information you have shared with us (even when it was a hard pill to swallow or some didn't want to hear it). You have major respect from many of us for the work you do, classes you teach, videos, and services you provide. In a "worse case scenario" it is great to know that your expertise is out there and can bring 4.0 joy to an otherwise bad/dead/dying engine. Hoping for the best and looking forward to seeing Bronz back on the road soon-ish !

Last edited by qikqbn; 01-24-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:47 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Thanks Jake Raby for taking the time to respond to this thread. I have read many of your threads in the past and appreciate the information you have shared with us (even when it was a hard pill to swallow or some didn't want to hear it). You have major respect from many of us for the work you do, classes you teach, videos, and services you provide. In a "worse case scenario" it is great to know that your expertise is out their and can bring 4.0 joy to an otherwise bad/dead/dying engine. Hoping for the best and looking forward to seeing Bronz back on the road soon-ish !
Thank you. l really appreciate these statements, and your point of view. l am working hard to solve problems, and at the same time convey our findings in a concise manner. My reservation to share comes from grief that was created due to the way the findings were shared, and how.That was all my fault.

Things with the 9a1 have been much less dramatic than with the M96, M97 engines, and l intend to keep it that way. My time is much better when utilized in the shop, rather than fighting with people on the internet :-)
Old 01-27-2019, 12:06 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

l took some time yesterday to do the first round of diagnosis... The video didn’t portray the engine sound as well as you’d expect when compared in person.

I updated Bronz last night, and we have a plan moving forward. Engine will be extracted ASAP
Old 01-27-2019, 12:15 AM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

l took some time yesterday to do the first round of diagnosis... The video didn’t portray the engine sound as well as you’d expect when compared in person.

I updated Bronz last night, and we have a plan moving forward. Engine will be extracted ASAP
Where you at a decision point with regards to starting the car at all? If so what was the decision process that led to starting it? I am not questioning your decision, just saying I would have had trouble deciding if it was a good idea to start the car or not.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:22 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bgoetz

Where you at a decision point with regards to starting the car at all? If so what was the decision process that led to starting it? I am not questioning your decision, just saying I would have had trouble deciding if it was a good idea to start the car or not.
It wasn’t started at first. l poked around for 4 hours before l decided to start it. Having watched the video, l knew that the engine had ran long enough to have taken out the crankshaft already, if it indeed was losing a connecting rod bearing. By that time, it would have already seen injury.

l am now glad that it was started, and doing so provided me with critical data moving forward.

At this point, based on what l collected, l made a diagnosis to Bronz.. If l was right, he can tell you guys once we have it apart. If shared now a lot of “how did that happen” questions will be posed, and they should not be at this time.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:04 AM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Thanks for the thoughtful response, looking forward to the diagnosis!
Old 01-27-2019, 01:36 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 732 Posts

Tuned in. Thanks for the update and anxious to hear more as you find out more. Good luck!!!
Old 01-28-2019, 11:37 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

It wasn’t started at first. l poked around for 4 hours before l decided to start it. Having watched the video, l knew that the engine had ran long enough to have taken out the crankshaft already, if it indeed was losing a connecting rod bearing. By that time, it would have already seen injury.

l am now glad that it was started, and doing so provided me with critical data moving forward.

At this point, based on what l collected, l made a diagnosis to Bronz.. If l was right, he can tell you guys once we have it apart. If shared now a lot of “how did that happen” questions will be posed, and they should not be at this time.
As much as we would love ALL THE INFO, this is the right way to communicate this to the "public". Looking forward to updates.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:47 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
As much as we would love ALL THE INFO, this is the right way to communicate this to the "public". Looking forward to updates.
I believe the OP and Flatsix discussed this and agreed in advance what was to be made public.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:52 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Actually we havent. But theres not much to be said yet, its all just guessing until its taken apart. When we do know, i will update all of you.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:55 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
Actually we havent. But theres not much to be said yet, its all just guessing until its taken apart. When we do know, i will update all of you.
My apologies if I spoke out of turn. I thought I saw somewhere in the thread that was the case. Sorry.

Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure