Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

premium on manual trans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 10:00 PM
groovy dude
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To answer your question, I think the PDK shifted things a lot. Prior to that the tiptronic was seen as an inferior transmission from a sport perspective. Acceleration numbers were always higher with manual cars until PDK came along, and that speed is what buyers want with a sports car (of course, who can "feel" a tenth of a second?). So, as has been previously noted, now and probably since the 997.2, Porsche sells way more PDK cars than manual, so the 6MT cars are more rare. But so are the 6MT buyers, who are mainly enthusiasts and/or people who are buying their car as a toy and not a daily driver. (I haven't seen official data, but it's pretty clear to me that in the 997.1 6MT cars are pricier today.)

However, if you're wondering about how your car's value will hold up over time, it's my opinion that the 6MT cars will be more valuable, even in the 997.2. It just makes sense, especially once we're all driving electric for our daily drivers, that the throwback cars will be more desired as all gas engine cars will be toys. How long we have to wait for this is anyone's guess though.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:15 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Easy answer is data accuracy is poor.

You can do your own assessment by searching and sorting through the cars list on Autotrader, Cars.com, etc (holding certain elements constant and adjusting others). When you do that there is a clear premium for manual cars.

Note that if you try to automate, a lot of "manual" cars that show up are actually PDK or tiptronic (because "manually shifted" dealers will enter as manual).

The supply/demand balance on used 911s is strongly in favor of manuals because once you get out of the new cars the target audience is the enthusiast crowd (i.e., the rennlist crowd). Since older 911s are not a performance match $ for $ with a lot of other options, the preference starts to become more driving engagement, feel, etc, (the intangibles).

BTW, I'm not anti-PDK and a lot of enthusiast drivers who actually track their cars will prefer PDK... but out of the Rennlist/enthusiast crowd, there is a much higher preference for manual than automatic transmissions in the older car.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:20 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
Cannot disagree modern autos are not faster shifting and more efficient and get significantly better mileage. That is better by those metrics. My wife's 9 speed auto and my last car's 7 speed DCT are terrific for eating miles efficiently. The cars I think about having, have had, or do have, like 930, Viper, S2000, old NSX, Miata, or R8, to name a few, just seem or would seem soulless with an auto, no matter how good. Thankfully, some never offered an auto. If I had 2-3 Porsches I would like one auto included.
Funny enough, I have a similar mix of cars (Viper, 997, BMW roadster etc) and all my sports cars are manual. I am looking to add another fun car and "automatic" options are not off the list, but only because a) it will be primarily my wife's car and b) I don't mind it as a third or fourth sports car option, just not as my main or only sports car...
Old 12-12-2018, 03:31 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

I feel manuals are more common on 997.1. Seems to be more rare in 997.2 due to lower numbers due to economy and the PDK being a great transmission.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:17 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As PDK cars age to a point where they can't be covered or cost-effectively covered under warranty, I fell they will become less desirable. If PDKs can eventually be repaired instead of replaced, things might go differently.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Fear of breaking the PDK is greatly exaggerated. You need to see this if you have any doubts:
Old 12-12-2018, 06:11 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I dunno, it's not like PDK cars are dropping like flies but I can think of a few threads in the past year where someone's looking at potentially a $20k+ repair if a warranty or PCNA don't step in. It's not unheard of.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Also not unheard of on manual transmissions either. The search button shows as much.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

On a manual transmission you have options. On a PDK, a valve can go bad and the official recourse is to replace the whole unit.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:29 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Used PDKs are selling for $4K - $7K.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Easy answer is data accuracy is poor.

You can do your own assessment by searching and sorting through the cars list on Autotrader, Cars.com, etc (holding certain elements constant and adjusting others). When you do that there is a clear premium for manual cars.

Note that if you try to automate, a lot of "manual" cars that show up are actually PDK or tiptronic (because "manually shifted" dealers will enter as manual).

The supply/demand balance on used 911s is strongly in favor of manuals because once you get out of the new cars the target audience is the enthusiast crowd (i.e., the rennlist crowd). Since older 911s are not a performance match $ for $ with a lot of other options, the preference starts to become more driving engagement, feel, etc, (the intangibles).

BTW, I'm not anti-PDK and a lot of enthusiast drivers who actually track their cars will prefer PDK... but out of the Rennlist/enthusiast crowd, there is a much higher preference for manual than automatic transmissions in the older car.
Good point. The person buying a 10-year old 997 is often a much different buyer (or looking for a different car) than a person shopping for a new 992. On average, the "manual" premium isn't that much, but one has a better chance of getting a unusually high price for a manual, as there are a few buyers willing to pay that premium. The GTS is a great example (which is often billed as the ultimate enthusiast's 997). I doubt there is much of a premium on a C2S. 2 that sold locally went for the same price and were comparable builds. The manual sat a bit longer than the PDK at the local dealer. I drooled over both! With that said, you will have to act fast on any manual, as they tend to be harder to find and therefore sell quickly.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:55 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I paid a premium on my manual 997.1 cab, simply because availability compared to tiptronics was incredibly limited (around 10 to 1).
So when I found a manual with the right spec, I didn't have a lot of negotiating room left in terms of pricing, hence the premium compared to a similarly-specced tiptronic.

Haven't regretted it for a single second though
Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 AM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m a track enthusiast with two manual cars. When I went looking to replace my dd I had no interest in another manual. My previous dd’s had pdk and I enjoyed the drive. As time goes on I suspect more drivers will opt for the pdk. There are a lot of people who have never or rarely driven a manual and won’t be that enthralled by or even know the feel of the manual. Couple that with the evidence that the cars are faster, albeit by tenths of a second, and people will use that piece to help make their decision. Manual values may increase but only in the limited market of those willing to buy a manual. As to the price of repairing or replacing a pdk, this can be hedged by a warranty. I don’t buy warranty’s but in the case of my recent purchase it seemed like a good cost/benefit choice. I’ve already recouped 30% of my premium on a cv replacement. Having replaced them on my other Porsche’s I consider this a consumable, especially on a 9 year old higher mileage car.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:27 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
...I can think of a few threads in the past year where someone's looking at potentially a $20k+ repair if a warranty or PCNA don't step in. It's not unheard of.
Originally Posted by Balr14
Used PDKs are selling for $4K - $7K.
The list price for a remanufactured and warrantied PDK unit from PCNA is about $11K + core charge.

But if you search around, you'll find it for about $9K + core charge. I’m not 100% certain this is the right part number for a C2S without LSD, but Sunset currently lists this one for $8,110 + $5,200 core charge - https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...on-9g1300011bx

Labor seems to be in the 15 hour range. Given rates vary from as low as $100/hr at some Indys, to $225/hr at my local dealers, the swing on labor cost is $1.5K to over $3K.

Some examples of parts and labor prices...

$10K (before the discount) - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13625686
$10K (got a break on the labor costs) - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14602125
$13K (Bay Area sales tax is 9% and has high dealer labor rates) - https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...l#post15327541

So I’d assume $11K to replace, with +/- adjustments for your local labor rates...

Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 12-13-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:22 PM
keynes
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a '91 5MT that I rarely drove on Saturdays (in third gear 90% of the time). Now I drive my '09 PDK much more. I can commute in traffic, I can drink a coffee, I can eat a breakfast burrito on the way home, the wife can drive it. I get more use and joy out of my current car with PDK than anything since the E36 M3. I get the MT engagement, but overall PDK works better for me.

Quick Reply: premium on manual trans?