Sponsored by:

premium on manual trans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 06:27 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default premium on manual trans?

I was looking at my car value on CarGurus and there is a 6K difference between manual and PDK, with PDK being higher. Six grand!! All I read on Reenlist is how hard it is to find a manual 977 , and people willing to pay more for it. Can anyone explain why?
Old 12-08-2018, 06:46 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
I was looking at my car value on CarGurus and there is a 6K difference between manual and PDK, with PDK being higher. Six grand!! All I read on Reenlist is how hard it is to find a manual 977 , and people willing to pay more for it. Can anyone explain why?
Most dealers will have an easier time and a larger market for a PDK-equipped car. My C2S PDK sold in a flash over on the PCA site, whereas I had zero interest here. Different (older) crowd with different priorities. I can imagine most mainstream dealers are in the same boat. Specialty dealers who work primarily with enthusiasts will always value cars differently, but I can see a Ford dealer taking a 997.2 6MT in on trade and think to himself "this is going to be hard to find a home for!"
Old 12-08-2018, 07:12 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I spent months shopping for a 997.1 and manuals were much closer or more expensive than Tips. I suppose the PDK is enough better of an auto than the Tip to have some real premium. After extensive shopping, the thing I noticed most as a premium, options being equal, was not having a gray or beige interior and not having black, silver, gray exterior. If I get a new Porsche in the future, which is questionable with current styling, I'd go for a brown interior, or black and chalk, and pay up for more unique color or PTS.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

You're comparing the PDK cars with .2 6mts, right? A .1 6mt would be cheaper because it's older and the .2 upgrades were pretty good.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:57 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

The views expressed on Rennlist are not representative of real world views. Manual transmissions are hard to find because 80% of buyers opt for the PDK. It's a much better transmission.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:04 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

This is the best forum I know of in terms of getting excellent information on Porsches of any year or model. Just keep in mind that this is a crowd heavily in favor of manual transmissions compared to the market in general so when the discussion goes into manual, TIP or PDK, I don't believe the majority opinion here is a good representation of the actual market place. A friend of mine works in sales at the local Porsche dealer and he has told me more than once that ever since the PDK was introduced in 2009, PDK sales have been about 80% vs. 20% of manuals. That should give you the answer to why PDK cars are priced higher. It's about a $4,000 option and the preferred transmission by a large percentage of Porsche buyers. No reason why it should be cheaper than a manual.

All that said, the manual market is getting smaller and smaller so manual cars are getting harder to find which for the right car and a number of die hard manual buyers looking at the same car can drive up the price.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:46 AM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your car is the daily driver the pdk is just easier to drive. I have 2 other manual Porsche’s and had no desire for a third. Sitting in stop and go traffic with a manual is a pita. Mind you I don’t experience that where I live but still!

Trending Topics

Old 12-09-2018, 12:08 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 177 Posts

Cars are still new enough to be DD and not expensive enough or fragile enough to garage queen. Once you get into that territory, manual transmissions will start costing more (I think). Look at the air cooled cars. The manuals definitely cost more than autos but then again the autos on those cars suck. Even in Ferrari work 430 and 360s are more expensive in manual form.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

The price difference for transmisison types, and difficulty in finding a manual 997, are not a linear relationships. Keep in mind a lot of people buy 911s on the secondary market, and some percentage are enthusiasts (Rennlist people) looking for manual transmission cars with specific features and mileage. When they find such a car they are willing to pay a bit more. A site like Car Gurus lumps everything together (a manual PTS 997 GTS w/ 20K miles is averaged together with a manual grey 997 C2S with 90,000 miles) and since there are fewer manuals their valuation may be skewed. What is more, those with manual transmission 997s who trade in their cars are getting a lower price (auction data Car Gurus may be using). So, it is all about averages and market forces (more people want PDK so they are an easier sell). The right manual transmission 997 will sell to the right buyer for much more than the right PDK to the right buyer because there are more units of the latter than former to choose from. This, however, gets lost when you use a value calculator.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:10 PM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
This is the best forum I know of in terms of getting excellent information on Porsches of any year or model. Just keep in mind that this is a crowd heavily in favor of manual transmissions compared to the market in general so when the discussion goes into manual, TIP or PDK, I don't believe the majority opinion here is a good representation of the actual market place. A friend of mine works in sales at the local Porsche dealer and he has told me more than once that ever since the PDK was introduced in 2009, PDK sales have been about 80% vs. 20% of manuals. That should give you the answer to why PDK cars are priced higher. It's about a $4,000 option and the preferred transmission by a large percentage of Porsche buyers. No reason why it should be cheaper than a manual.

All that said, the manual market is getting smaller and smaller so manual cars are getting harder to find which for the right car and a number of die hard manual buyers looking at the same car can drive up the price.

What he says is accurate and very correct.
This is also true for older models 997.1 manual versus TIP S.
However, this is less true for older models that most of the cars manufactured and sold in the past were manual 993/964 / SC etc.

Looking ahead, most of the population is driving 2-pedal cars.

Also in the area I live in (lots of traffic jams and 95% of the AUTO vehicles) and in other areas such as China / England, Porsche 997.1 TIP S and 997.2 / 991 PDK costs more than MANUAL.

I have no doubt that if I were to buy 993 or older air cooler, I would only buy MANUAL. This is because, *** in those years ***, the manual transmission systems are on top hands. Thus, the manual value of these vehicles will always be higher.

However, as soon as the improved automatic systems entered, according to the price of Porsche, this is about the beginning of MB TIP S / PDK 997. The equation reversed, and as a result, demand and supply changed.

It is important to remember that most people in the world do not buy their porsche in anticipation that the price will rise.

And here I am, enthusiast Porsche I bought my Porsche for pleasure, I do not care if in 20 years my car will be worth a few more pennies if it is manual or PDK or TIP S. I buy my Porsche for driving! And lots
Old 12-09-2018, 01:11 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of good thoughts here. I think Sandwedge hit it though, outside of Reenlist, Auto is more popular.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:00 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Originally Posted by Balr14
The views expressed on Rennlist are not representative of real world views. Manual transmissions are hard to find because 80% of buyers opt for the PDK. It's a much better transmission.
PDK may be 80% of sales, but that may reflect who is spending 100-200k on new Porsches. Many are older, because like many luxury car sales, they go to those with money. And leased cars are probably even more likely autos. If easier in traffic and a couple or few seconds faster on track is better, than PDK is a better option for those buyers. For those who enjoy manual, it is better. An auto is better for first time drivers with no experience, press to go and press to stop, safer for those around them. I have gotten autos for my first 3 kids at age 16. They may never get themselves a manual, and they will never know better. I have found it pretty easy to sell manuals for models that are mostly auto, maybe because those that want a manual will go further to get it by necessity.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:34 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rap
If your car is the daily driver the pdk is just easier to drive. I have 2 other manual Porsche’s and had no desire for a third. Sitting in stop and go traffic with a manual is a pita. Mind you I don’t experience that where I live but still!
Exactly, younger buyers probably use it as a daily driver because they only have one car and older buyers probably have it as a second car and don't have to Daily drive the manual Porsche.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
PDK may be 80% of sales, but that may reflect who is spending 100-200k on new Porsches. Many are older, because like many luxury car sales, they go to those with money. And leased cars are probably even more likely autos. If easier in traffic and a couple or few seconds faster on track is better, than PDK is a better option for those buyers. For those who enjoy manual, it is better. An auto is better for first time drivers with no experience, press to go and press to stop, safer for those around them. I have gotten autos for my first 3 kids at age 16. They may never get themselves a manual, and they will never know better. I have found it pretty easy to sell manuals for models that are mostly auto, maybe because those that want a manual will go further to get it by necessity.
I have driven manual transmissions since 1959. My daily driver has a 5 speed manual transmission. All of my kids were taught to drive on manual transmissions and so were 3 of my grandchildren (so far). All of my family members originally had cars with manual transmissions, but currently only 3 still do (out of 14 drivers). While what you say certainly has some truth to it, you overlook the fact modern automatic transmissions are simply better (more gears, faster shifts, better fuel economy, no drive line shock).
Old 12-09-2018, 09:35 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Originally Posted by Balr14
I have driven manual transmissions since 1959. My daily driver has a 5 speed manual transmission. All of my kids were taught to drive on manual transmissions and so were 3 of my grandchildren (so far). All of my family members originally had cars with manual transmissions, but currently only 3 still do (out of 14 drivers). While what you say certainly has some truth to it, you overlook the fact modern automatic transmissions are simply better (more gears, faster shifts, better fuel economy, no drive line shock).
Cannot disagree modern autos are not faster shifting and more efficient and get significantly better mileage. That is better by those metrics. My wife's 9 speed auto and my last car's 7 speed DCT are terrific for eating miles efficiently. The cars I think about having, have had, or do have, like 930, Viper, S2000, old NSX, Miata, or R8, to name a few, just seem or would seem soulless with an auto, no matter how good. Thankfully, some never offered an auto. If I had 2-3 Porsches I would like one auto included.

Quick Reply: premium on manual trans?