PPI / PDK Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:44 AM
ramo80
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PPI / PDK Issues

Hi All,

I just recently purchased 2009 911 base PDK with 80,000 kms on it. I didn’t purchase it from a Porschedealer. Right before I finalized the paper work I had it sent to the a Porsche dealership for a full PPI. They pointed out some minor things. They also said that the transmission is leaking. They said its leaking from the pan which is a common defect. They said it would cost me about 1000 dollars to get it fixed (labor, parts and oil). I didn’t think it was a big deal.I was planning on doing an a transmission flush anyways. I purchasedthe car. I drove it for a while and felt like the tranny is rough so I took it back into the dealership and they said that’snormal for a PDK. I didn’t know anybetter since this is my first PDK. Last week I took to a different dealership and they told me that the tranny is not leaking from the pan. Its leaking higher up. They said it’s not fixable as there is a Porsche bulletin for this leak location and the recommended fix is to replace the PDK. My question is do I have any type of recourse against the first dealer? Will they be quoting me some fine print intheir PPI policy that says they are not responsible for anything that was missed or misdiagnosed? I have a meeting with the service manager today. He will be looking at my car personally and I needed to know what they’re responsible for when they do a PPI. A new tranny with labor would be about 12,000 dollars which I’m not prepared to pay.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:47 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Where are you located? You mention km so I'm assuming outside the US
Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 AM
ramo80
Intermediate

Ontario Canada.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:57 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Ouch. That is not a good situation.

I am not a legal expert, but I am guessing that the dealership that did the PPI is not going to be legally bound to their original assessment. But, I am interested to hear what others say. This is the risk of buying a used car, unfortunately.

You have one other chance though... there were numerous reports of Porsche doing 'goodwill' replacement of failed PDK transmissions. I think your best bet would be to stay on very good terms with the dealer that did the PPI, and hope that they can talk Porsche into getting you a free replacement transmission. And maybe you just pay the labor. Keep pushing them, and dont take no for an answer. I think that is going to be your only hope to get out of this without losing major $$$.

Another option is a used unit for about $4-5k.
http://teile.com/en/porsche-parts-sh...d-C2-C2S/13648

I bought a four yr old Audi A6 4.2 way back. Took it to an Audi dealership to do an assessment before purchase. Came back with flying colours. Two months later and I find out a need a new transmission at a cost of $5k. I paid the full amount.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:00 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Your mistake, your fault. You have to get the car inspected before you buy it, which you did. But they were incompetent with their inspection. So its between you two unless you have some warrantee laws in your country
Old 09-23-2016, 11:10 AM
ramo80
Intermediate

Here is my argument. I took the car to the "EXPERTS". They should know more about my car than anyone else. They found a leak in the tranny. To be honest after that point I don't care about anything else they felt needed attention. I don't care about the breaks. tires nothing. I would have rather they focused on the leak. Having these Porsche Bulletins I would expect them to go item by item eliminating them. I needed them to be sure that 5 months after purchase I don't get a $12,000 bill. What's the point of a PPI then. If the advisor called me and said we found a leak and to be 100% sure its not a big deal we would have to charge you a couple more hours to investigate. I would have happily paid for that. After the finding I would have walked away from the car for sure. In their PPI report is says and I quote "Transmission leak - recommend replace transmission cover"
Old 09-23-2016, 11:22 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ramo80
Hi All,

A new tranny with labor would be about 12,000 dollars which I’m not prepared to pay.

Thanks.

On the bright side, $12k CAD is about $9k USD. Has the replacement cost decreased significantly over the past year or two? Wasn't it $15k USD or so?
Old 09-23-2016, 11:28 AM
ramo80
Intermediate

Well the second dealership said the tranny was $10,000 CAD and labor was $2000 CAD.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:49 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems you are screwed. Best bet is trying to work something out with the original dealer.

Based on what you posted it appears that the original dealer is unaware that you even need a new PDK? I'd bring it back there and tell them what you found out and they may even offer you some type of discount. They missed the leak and "rough" feeling. They may want to try to make it right.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:07 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting thread. I think this is a good example of why more and more Porsche dealers and independents are refusing to perform PPIs. Why take on that kind of liability just to make a couple hundred bucks?

I hope OP gets his situation resolved ASAP.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:13 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ramo80
Well the second dealership said the tranny was $10,000 CAD and labor was $2000 CAD.
For comparison purposes only, a year ago my out of warranty 09 C2S PDK failed and I paid to have it replaced with a PCNA remanufactured unit. Mine had the LSD option. MSRP for it was $8,354. I paid $6,225 plus around $1,500 labor for installation. I hope your dealer helps you out with your situation.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:45 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

Did you purchase a warranty from the dealer you bought the car from? If not they are really not responsible, as most used cars are "as-is" and they clearly state that. One advantage is buying from a dealer you can purchase a warranty vs buying from an individual. A PPI is just that, an inspection or mechanical evaluation?
Old 09-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
For comparison purposes only, a year ago my out of warranty 09 C2S PDK failed and I paid to have it replaced with a PCNA remanufactured unit. Mine had the LSD option. MSRP for it was $8,354. I paid $6,225 plus around $1,500 labor for installation. I hope your dealer helps you out with your situation.
Cloudspin, can you elaborate on your experience? I think it's good to get first-hand accounts of such experiences.

Are you saying there is now recourse beyond having a brand new replacement unit installed, should any owner encounter PDK problems? This is the first that I've read about Porsche (PCNA) remanufactured units.

This is very encouraging. While $7,800 is still quite a repair bill, it is definitely much better than the prices we've seen here on RL, up until now, where the only option was to pay for a brand new unit. Less than $8k, if absolutely necessary, mitigates any risks of out-of-warranty PDK failure a great deal, IMO.

Also, hopefully, we will start to see aftermarket repair services for these soon, too. Rebuilt units for $5k would basically remove all fears, for me, about potential future PDK issues. Really hope that starts to happen.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:50 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

I bailed on a 911 S CPO before I bought mine when I learned it had the pan replaced under warranty...
if vehicle wasn't in perfect shape, no buy!
painful lesson to learn OP

These cars are VERY expensive to repair. Best part of buying a CPO over non-cpo porsche is you can ask Porsche North America for help outside of warranty and they have a reason to help you because CPO fills their pockets.

Why would Porsche stand up and help you buying a car from a used car lot that has no direct ties to them and in no way made them money?
Old 09-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I would never own PDK out of warranty. If you can't come to a deal with them I would dump the car.

Quick Reply: PPI / PDK Issues