Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 ownership while having lower back problems.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 05:49 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 911 ownership while having lower back problems.

I’ll keep it short. Back hurts. Don’t like driving your 911 like that? Get a lumbar support. Makes all the difference in the world. I rolled up a large microfiber towel and put it behind me. No more pain using a heavy clutch or these seats! Dunno why i waited this long.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:12 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Good to hear! I wonder if using the clutch would make it worse, vs having an automatic, since you aren't constantly shifting positions with your leg/butt every time you shift, which in turn would put pressure on your back. Or maybe shifting wouldn't translate that far back, I have not paid attention.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:40 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Good to hear! I wonder if using the clutch would make it worse, vs having an automatic, since you aren't constantly shifting positions with your leg/butt every time you shift, which in turn would put pressure on your back. Or maybe shifting wouldn't translate that far back, I have not paid attention.
In my opinion, having to work the clutch pedal will aggravate lower back and hip areas of the body. If you're suffering from lower back problems, driving these cars can be painful, but lumbar support is helpful. I've learned to exercise my lower back more offen including stretching exercises. We're not talking major gym workout here, just simple everyday exercises you can do in your bedroom in the morning. Helped me tremendously.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:50 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I have had two lower back surgeries and although it still hurts daily I have never had better seats than in my 997.2. I love the dual lumbar support. I wondered if a stick would make things worse, but it has been okay as long as I do my stretches each day in the morning.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:57 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

27 years of working out, 7 years of Jiujitsu, and a 5 year old boy have taken their toll. My main issue is the left hip and sciatic nerve. Injured in Sept and operating this clutch is MURDER. Lowering the car ruined the ride. Also murderous on the spine when it hurts. Makes me wanna get a Macan. Symptoms slowly subsiding and will begin rehabbing it soon so I can get back on my black belt quest. This lumbar roll really makes the ride bearable until I can swap my suspension again to stock springs.

Oh and my lumbar unit deflates while I drive.....must have a leak.

Last edited by ALEV8; 11-24-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:39 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I have some serious back issues and have found my 997.2 seats don't help.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:13 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Depends on what side the pain is. I did a 9hr endurance race 2x90 min stints two weeks after basically having no movement from two degenerated/slipped discs. I did PT and general therapy like a ****, and was fine, but it was my right side so braking and gas were the issue. (Don’t left foot brake that much)

Trending Topics

Old 11-23-2018, 09:48 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Compressive back tumor slowly killing my L5 (right sciatic) nerve so that it is constantly throbby/achy, and periodic pulled back muscle from loading trucks nearly every day. *Nothing* makes my back feel better than getting in my manual 997, turning the heated seats up high, and taking a 45 minute spirited drive. That said, I recognize that (a) since it is my right leg and lower back, it is different and easier than my clutch leg, and (b) I have an "S," so I never really experience my clutch getting stiffer and stiffer. I hope you find your way to feel much better. My wife's Macan feels really good, too. Better heated seats and PDK.

Last edited by JustinCase; 11-23-2018 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Afterthoughts
Old 11-23-2018, 11:48 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

27 years of working out, 7 years of Jiujitsu, and a 5 year old boy have taken their toll. My main issue is the left hip and sciatic nerve. Injured in Sept and operating this clutch is MURDER. Lowers the can and ruined the ride. Also murderous on the spine when it hurts.
I hear ya- for me, 40 years of Silat, Jeet Kune Do and Wing Chun, Running, Tennis, HIIT Training in gyms.. all of it. I've blown out the discs from L4 to S2.
Best recommendations from what has worked for me:
- Rolled up towel behind lumbar spine, keep your shoulders back while driving while experiencing pain and sciatica torture
- Lot's of Abs/Core training will promote spinal stability = less pain, as healing and accommodation take place
- Inversion table decompression has helped me, but I have friends who think they are a wast of time

You might have to just stop rolling for 6 mo. to a year, stick to core training and hone the upper body.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:00 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I have a little stadium cushion that I put behind my back for longer rides. Keep heated seats on nearly all the time. Stop every two hours to move around and stretch the back. All in all, i find that the 997 is a pretty comfy ride for long trips. The California is a bit of a butt buster, and the wife's SLK is a torture rack for anything more than a couple hundred miles...T
Old 11-24-2018, 01:19 AM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I had to get epidural steroid injections a few weeks ago in my lumbar spine. Still doing PT. The 911 seats are better than most cars. Mine has the base (manual) seats. They have excellent support, especially laterally and the cant of the seat bottom help to unload my spine. The only seat so far I liked better is the current Mercedes SL seating, with adjustable and active bolsters, bottom extension and the seat back massagers.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:05 AM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try wearing one of those weight lifting belts (thick leather, seven inches wide at the back) cinched snugly. I wore one for years on a motorcycle with minimal suspension. That helped keep everything in place. Two of my most painful back injuries occurred while doing high repetition stiff leg toe touches as a warm up for heavy weight lifting, My 997.2 has good lumbar support and I am currently free of back injury for now. My most comfortable car for long distance has fiberglas bucket seats placed at a low angle and I sit with most of my weight off of my hips as in laying down driving.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

With a strained left side back and the muscle spasming, using a clutch is impossible. If I had this happen more than about once a year, I'd go to the Macan with PDK - easier to get in and out (higher), and not the constant tensioning of the lower back muscle.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:05 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rwdds
I hear ya- for me, 40 years of Silat, Jeet Kune Do and Wing Chun, Running, Tennis, HIIT Training in gyms.. all of it. I've blown out the discs from L4 to S2.
Best recommendations from what has worked for me:
- Rolled up towel behind lumbar spine, keep your shoulders back while driving while experiencing pain and sciatica torture
- Lot's of Abs/Core training will promote spinal stability = less pain, as healing and accommodation take place
- Inversion table decompression has helped me, but I have friends who think they are a wast of time

You might have to just stop rolling for 6 mo. to a year, stick to core training and hone the upper body.
AMEN. Just need to find the wherewithal to start rehabbing core. HATE not rolling. Lumbar roll helps not hate the car. Just want to be strong again.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:05 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
With a strained left side back and the muscle spasming, using a clutch is impossible. If I had this happen more than about once a year, I'd go to the Macan with PDK - easier to get in and out (higher), and not the constant tensioning of the lower back muscle.
Believe me I’ve been considering it.

Quick Reply: 911 ownership while having lower back problems.