Sponsored by:

White Gauges Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 07:25 AM
rporzio
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default White Gauges Advice

Hi Everyone, Narrowing down my search to replace my 04 C2 and one of my top choices is a 2010 4S. The other is a 2013 C2 both the same exterior, Basalt but the 10 has a beige interior and the 13 is black and both are PDKs. The 10 has white gauges which puts this car 2nd on the list right now, especially not knowing what happens to them at night. I have no experience and have never seen them in person and wonder if anyone has nice pictures of the dash set in night or dark conditions to help me? Thanks, Ralph
Old 11-18-2018, 08:39 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Ralph, I just bumped a thread in the 991 Forum for you that has some very good pictures. Hope that helps you.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:40 AM
rporzio
Pro

Thanks so much Lex, I appreciate...
Old 11-18-2018, 08:46 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by rporzio
Thanks so much Lex, I appreciate...
Happy early Thanksgiving!!
Old 11-18-2018, 04:29 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 742 Likes on 424 Posts
Cool

I hate white gauges but when the perfect (except the white gauges) 997 C2S popped up, I had to do some soul searching. I was happy to discover that they are only white during the day. When I drive at night, which is about 50% of the time I am driving, they look like any other 997 gauges at night with a nice clean illumination. You cannot tell they are white unless I need new glasses. Also, now that I have had them for almost a year, I do not really think about them at all.

EDIT:
I stole this from another thread (also linked below the pic)

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ent-dials.html

Last edited by jamesinger; 11-18-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added pic.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:01 PM
rporzio
Pro

Wow, this is great news, thank you everyone...!
Old 11-18-2018, 05:18 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I think you can swap colors
Old 11-18-2018, 05:28 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Not sure how anyone could cross-shop a 997 and a 991 and use the colour of gauges as a metric to score one car vs. the other.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:54 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 742 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
Not sure how anyone could cross-shop a 997 and a 991 and use the colour of gauges as a metric to score one car vs. the other.
I know this isn't a comment to me but I want to respond because I shopped for soooooo looooooooooong for a 911.

I said this on another thread but I just never decided 100% on anything. If you are buying used, I would cast a wide net...but know what your deal breakers are. For example, I never saw a GTS for sale that was what I originally wanted thinking I could stay under 60k. They barely came up and when they did, they had such a higher selling price, I would have been better off jumping up to a GT3 IMO. On the other hand, so many C2S came up in every gen. 996-991 but it took more than a year to finally see one where there were not deal breaker issues in some regard. Living in LA, a lot of those were just modded to look like BRZs or something, just hideous and terribly maintained...but my point is, you have to cast a wide net to catch the right 911 IMO.

BTW, the above comments are spot on about changing face colors. I am way too lazy to do something like that but in my younger and more vulnerable years, I did change out gauge faces and it was pretty basic. I have also changed full clusters on my own as well. Both were NBD, so not a deal breaker. Also, IDK if you are like me but I hated the white faces when I got them but after driving the car for a few months, I never think about it...but I also have new HVAC switches sitting in my garage and the OEM ones are worn to the point where they are white. I got those switches in March. After work, I just look at them and think, "maybe tomorrow."
Old 11-18-2018, 11:58 PM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

For the record, I think the color of the guage faces on a 997.2 S cars is silver, not white. Mine are silver and any other S car I looked at has been the same. Was white face an option?
Old 11-19-2018, 01:20 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
That's what I was thinking. The cars are rather drastically different and a set of gauge faces in the color of choice can be bought for just over $700. https://www.fvd.net/us-en/shop?term=&searchtype=fvd-product&search_mode=&view=thumb&order=score&fq%5B0%5D=736&fq%5B1%5D=635& page=5
Old 11-19-2018, 10:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,169 Likes on 3,933 Posts

I have a 997.1 MT black face gauge cluster available for sale if anyone with white gauges wants to change to black. Bought it for a project I was going to do but never got around to it due to cost. I don't know what happens to the odometer reading - whether that's stored in the cluster or stored in the car and reported to the cluster - if the former, installation might need to be done at a dealer so they can adjust the odometer to read correctly. Ad is in the Marketplace

Old 11-19-2018, 04:31 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has optional white gauges. I find them to be one of the more annoying things on the car. At night they are just kind of weird. They look like a teenager LED'd their gauge cluster when it was originally incandescent.

The real problem though is around dusk, however. The light sensor constantly turns the back lighting on and off, which changes the contrast of the white letters on the gray background...or black letters on gray background. Back and forth, back and forth. I find myself covering the sensor just to turn the LED's on whenever the lights are turned on. I'd love to hear if someone knows how to disable the sensor via Durametric or something.

If I were specing a Porsche, I'd NEVER choose white gauges over black, especially as it is about an $800 option. I'm sure in resale its probably a plus, but uh, it most certainly is not in a practical sense.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:00 PM
rporzio
Pro

Thanks again to everyone, I know it's hard to believe but it just may come down to the black gauges vs the white. Both of the cars I'm looking at are beautiful and you're right quite different in many ways; but based on the pictures I've seen I'm leaning towards that all black interior (just like my 04 that I sold last week). I haven't seen either car in person yet but hope to see the 13 tomorrow or Wednesday and the 10 right after Thanksgiving. I'm sure that either way I go it'll be exciting...! R.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:29 PM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
My car has optional white gauges. I find them to be one of the more annoying things on the car. At night they are just kind of weird. They look like a teenager LED'd their gauge cluster when it was originally incandescent.

The real problem though is around dusk, however. The light sensor constantly turns the back lighting on and off, which changes the contrast of the white letters on the gray background...or black letters on gray background. Back and forth, back and forth. I find myself covering the sensor just to turn the LED's on whenever the lights are turned on. I'd love to hear if someone knows how to disable the sensor via Durametric or something.

If I were specing a Porsche, I'd NEVER choose white gauges over black, especially as it is about an $800 option. I'm sure in resale its probably a plus, but uh, it most certainly is not in a practical sense.
Pretty sure all guages do this at dusk regardless of face color.
I like my light silver face and would pick them over black any day. Nothing about a black face represents sporty or performance car. Black gauges just wash out in the dash IMO.
Glad we have options to choose

Last edited by Qwksnke; 11-20-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: White Gauges Advice