Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Gauges Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:33 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

I vote for the "white / silver" gauges too. I am not sure why, but when the white faces first came out in 1991 Maxima, I fell in love with it. There is nothing wrong with the black face dials though.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:30 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
My car has optional white gauges. I find them to be one of the more annoying things on the car. At night they are just kind of weird. They look like a teenager LED'd their gauge cluster when it was originally incandescent.

The real problem though is around dusk, however. The light sensor constantly turns the back lighting on and off, which changes the contrast of the white letters on the gray background...or black letters on gray background. Back and forth, back and forth. I find myself covering the sensor just to turn the LED's on whenever the lights are turned on. I'd love to hear if someone knows how to disable the sensor via Durametric or something.

If I were specing a Porsche, I'd NEVER choose white gauges over black, especially as it is about an $800 option. I'm sure in resale its probably a plus, but uh, it most certainly is not in a practical sense.
I had white/silver gauges in my first two 997's and red gauges on my current car. To me the red ones look the same as the white/silver ones at night which makes me think they all look the same at night no matter what color.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:21 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

The white gauges look clean in the day and black at night. I'm glad mine are white, but wouldn't really care of they weren't.

Drive both cars and choose the one that speaks to you. The saying is buy the newest Porsche you can afford.

But there are those who feel the 997 is more raw and thus a better sports car with the 991 being more of a GT. There are others who say the 991 is meter all around. Drive them both and decide which you want.

The gauges are trivial compared to everything else.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:51 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

School me on 997 stock gauge faces. My 08 has white/silver gauges....dont they all?
Old 11-20-2018, 10:58 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

Beyond the white I've seen black, red, and yellow. Are there more?
Old 11-20-2018, 11:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,701 Likes on 4,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Beyond the white I've seen black, red, and yellow. Are there more?
There's silver too, which is different from the white. With a GT silver exterior, I'd actually like to have the silver ones as I like the way they look one color during the day but are dark at night. The silver would still do that but go better with the color scheme of my car - there's nothing else that's white inside of it.

What I really wanted are these...

but not at the cost for a simple gauge swap. This is actually why I have the spare black cluster. I was going to temporarily install the black one I bought so I could send my original cluster off to RUF in Germany for the conversion, but couldn't bring myself to pay the $3k or so they wanted for it and 19% VAT. While it was gone I was going to install the black one so I could keep using the car.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
School me on 997 stock gauge faces. My 08 has white/silver gauges....dont they all?
when the 997 was introduced to us in MY05 they came with black faced gauges, unless the car was an S model, in which they came with the silver or white look. The 997 also has many options available so many ordered different colors to go with various things. So,e matched the gauges faces focus the color of their brake calipers (e.g., yellow) and some matched gauge faces and seatbelt to things like that.

Fortunately, the lighter gauges effectively turn black at dusk so the necessary contrast to see everything well at dusk works extremely well.

Quick Reply: White Gauges Advice