Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how did you fix rattle and squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Gilbert Han
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how did you fix rattle and squeak?

997 is now almost 10 years old car, and naturally it has rattle and squeaks at some interior part.
I just wanted to borrow group wisdom about this.

If you have fixed, how did you fix and where was the sound from? How did you check it?

I got one rattle from the front part of center console at the passenger side. I fixed it by placing weather strip between center console.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

This is always situational. But in general, there are only three approaches.... of course this assumes you found the source...

1 - Separate
2 - Join
3 - Lubricate

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-07-2016, 08:50 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilbert Han
997 is now almost 10 years old car, and naturally it has rattle and squeaks at some interior part.

If you have fixed, how did you fix and where was the sound from? How did you check it?

I got one rattle from the front part of center console at the passenger side. I fixed it by placing weather strip between center console.
I have one more towards the drivers side, but not as far as the speaker. Driving me nuts, its under the dash. No idea how to get to it tho
Old 04-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm closing in on 93k miles, and the only squeak I hear is from my clutch pedal assembly.

I know how to fix it, I just have other cars that have, or are in, the process of failing catastrophically.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:46 AM
gripshifter
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Felt and lube and the panacea to rattles and squeaks in these cars.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gripshifter
Felt and lube and the panacea to rattles and squeaks in these cars.
As well as success in most marriages...
Old 04-09-2016, 11:27 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilbert Han

Mine was on the center console on the trip piece in front of the shifter. I found it by accident because the sound was bouncing off the passenger window leading me to think is was somewhere on the pass side. It helps to have a passenger help hunt it down while you drive.

Trending Topics

Old 04-09-2016, 12:48 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Roll your window down and mash the throttle, this drowns out any rattles or squeaks u have
Old 09-01-2016, 11:36 AM
jdgamble
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Mine was on the center console on the trip piece in front of the shifter. I found it by accident because the sound was bouncing off the passenger window leading me to think is was somewhere on the pass side. It helps to have a passenger help hunt it down while you drive.
Reviving and older one...

Captain - did you figure out a way to fix this? I think I have the same thing... Very annoying rattle over rough pavement that I think decreases when I put pressure on the shifter surround. It almost sounds like I have a bunch of loose change in my ashtray.

Thanks.

John
Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Second on the felt plus go around and check the tightness of fasteners and screws. You will be surprised on how loose they can be.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get one from the instrument cluster. Not sure It can be fixed. I simply push it forward as if seating it in it's place on the dashboard.
Often times changes in temperature produce rattles. Once the interior is warmed up, it may resolve itself.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:00 PM
dennis06carrera
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought my 2006 997.1 Carrera from the Porsche dealer. It is an automatic (Tiptronic). Once I got a chance to drive it more, I noticed a very annoying squeak coming from the dashboard area. I finally narrowed it down to the black plastic shifter cover that surrounds the silver shifter plate for the shifter as noted by captainbaker and jdgamble above. It was rattling (vibrating) on rough roads right where it meets the handy center console pocket in the lower dash. A little pressure applied by hand to this location stopped the squeak temporarily, but came back after pressure removed. Saw several youtube videos on how to get at these parts. Had to (1) remove the shifter ****; (2) remove the two carpet covers alongside the instrument/radio stack (the passenger one has the 12 volt plug built in it); (3) remove the two visible torx screws on each side of the black side covers along the instrument/radio stack so they could swing forward to give me better access to the front "wings" of the black shifter cover; and (4) used a blue plastic interior tool to pry the black plastic shifter cover from the silver painted trim piece running below and along side the cover. Starting with the two "wings" of the cover at the front-most part of the car, I pried loose the cover going from front to back (from under the dash back to the shifter assembly). Once completely lose, I saw a piece of grey foam rubber (about 6"x1/2"x3/8") had become dislodged that normally serves as a buffer between these two plastic parts. The dislocation of this foam rubber insulation piece allowed the two plastic parts to rub together. I could clearly see the wear point. Used contact cement to glue the foam rubber back into place. Put it all back together, and -- no more squeak. A little pain to take all that apart, but it is the only way to get at the problem. The disassembly of the two side panels is basically the same as removed when getting at the A/C controller to replace the crappy peeling fan and temp levers. Made a huge difference in the enjoyability of driving the Porsche. Hope this works for you.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:59 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

I had a couple annoying rattles for the first month I got the car but tracked them all down and been rattle free since.

1. I had one due to the windshield rubbing on the center dashboard speaker. My original fix was to pull the speaker cover off and put a felt dot on it. A few months later I had the windshield replaced and realized the problem. The windshield should be about a half inch away from the speaker cover when installed correctly. The prior just had a crap install job done in years past.

2. I had another from the passenger seat latch. The recommendations were to spray some WD40 inside the latch and that worked like a charm. No squeaks since. The only tip is not to put too much in. I found WD40 dripping out of the latch the next morning.

3. I had another rattle I heard twice when driving on really, really bumpy backroads. It was coming from somewhere in the back window area. When I installed Eibachs over the summer I took the Bose subwoofer out and noticed one of the screws was loose. It was likely coming from that.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:36 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I have one coming from the glovebox area making me insane, as well as one from the panel containing drivers side rear speaker. The entire panel behind me with speaker was loose after having a new door installed on that side. I firmly seated it again with a click. Now there’s a loud squeak back there I thought was from the rear seat, which I folded down. No idea on either, but now I just opt to drive on smooth newer roads in nice parts of town. PROBLEM SOLVED, PROBLEM STAYING SOLVED.....
Old 12-05-2017, 01:56 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a "chirp" that comes from the rear of the interior somewhere... Never been able to track it down. Honestly at this point, I just crank up the stereo.

Quick Reply: how did you fix rattle and squeak?