Received 289 Likes on 172 Posts

$190 colored center caps
GPS

Old 11-18-2018, 12:48 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by snethss
Sport Chrono - that's a neat looking clock. oh wait. it's just a stopwatch that i'll never use.
On a manual, not critical. With PDK it's much more than a useless stopwatch and is a must have imo. Wouldn't own a PDK car without it.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:06 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dpwolk99
I also have only used it to see how it worked. But Sport Chrono is not really an option because people who are buying always ask if you have Sport Chrono. Don’t ask me why. I demanded it and so will the next person.
If it's on the dash you may as well make the most of it. Many don't seem to realize that if you start the timer, then stop it without resetting it, it stays lit along with the rest of the instrument cluster with lights on. Reset it and it stays dark with the rest of the cluster lit up with lights on. Some people have enough time on their hands where they manage to stop it at 9.11 and leave it there. Given how quickly those digits tick by I'm 100% certain it takes more than one attempt to nail it there.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:19 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the value / purpose of this?

Originally Posted by sandwedge
If it's on the dash you may as well make the most of it. Many don't seem to realize that if you start the timer, then stop it without resetting it, it stays lit along with the rest of the instrument cluster with lights on. Reset it and it stays dark with the rest of the cluster lit up with lights on. Some people have enough time on their hands where they manage to stop it at 9.11 and leave it there. Given how quickly those digits tick by I'm 100% certain it takes more than one attempt to nail it there.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:28 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rw229
What's the value / purpose of this?
No value. Purpose? I just found it a bit odd having one gauge not lit up (no matter how useless) with the rest of them with lights turned on. Looked like it was broken. That's all.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:35 PM
SF997S
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229

Leather wrapped dash vents

Haha...first thing came to my mind!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:53 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Not on the 911, but I had a Mercedes SL with the magic view sunroof. You press a button and the glass goes from clear to opaque. It really worked and rejected a lot of heat in the summer. Lots of wow factor on the dealer lot. I drove off, played with it a couple of times and 99.999% of the time after, it stayed on opaque. $2500 never used.

The 997.2 C2S cabrio I bought used when the lease was over on the SL is pretty much base. It has the PDK, but not a lot of other stuff. base level seats and interior. It does have the sport chrono package - which I've never used. It works, but I don't get it at all. I'd be happier if the wart functioned as a clock when not timing those important trips to the grocery store. I've never "launched" it. The PCM3.0, nav and ipod input package, they're out of date since they really only work well with the old 30-pin iPod and don't offer enough current to keep an iPhone charged.

Colored wheel caps are just odd as an option. Look nice, but heck, ought to be included.

The biggest not sure if it is worth it: Carrera vs Carrera-S. I have the "S" version. My car is a daily driver. Honestly, while the "S" has more power, I don't get to use it so much as a daily driver. The S engine effortlessly goes from 65 to 100 mph. Really fun to do. But - seriously - don't need it and on my wallet for a daily driver, the standard engine is fine.

Options that were available I would like to have after owning this one a while:

Better multi-function seats with memory. Especially the mirror-flip-down in reverse function.
Color. I bought the Basalt Black because it was a good clean used-car. I'd rather have color. I don't know why nearly every 911 and SL is black, silver or white. I had a Mars Red SL.
I'd go for a bump up in interior leather. My SL400 had the Designo Titanium leather upgrade. It was gorgeous, high quality and very tastefully done. Maybe overkill, but it sure made for a pleasant and durable interior. The pastic base interior in the 911 is a bit weak.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:34 PM
zygomatic
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Ventilated seats. They make a lot of noise...and don't do much except add weight.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:14 AM
JustRob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through the configurator on the Porsche USA website. Didn't realize there was so much aluminum interior bits these days. I think I dislike that more than plastic. Someone said earlier leather vent surrounds, I dunno, that looks better to me than something shiny.

I'm surprised nobody has said these yet: automatically-dimming mirrors and leather fuse box cover. C'mon! If I have to get on my hands and knees outside the car to see some leather then it's just a waste. Those two alone are > $800.00 better spent elsewhere.

And I like the colored crest wheel caps. Adds a tiny bit of color to my grey on grey car.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:51 AM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

OK, beg to differ with many. I LOVE my sunroof, especially the rear lift up feature!
While we are beating up on standard useless features, and not useless options, what about that useless pocked on the rear centre tunnel. Wished it could hold a water bottle or two.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:24 AM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 on Sunroof ... I mean, Really?

If I wanted the top open, I would have gotten the Convertible.

...< edit > and electric seat(s) and rear view mirror, come on.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:43 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by zygomatic
Ventilated seats. They make a lot of noise...and don't do much except add weight.
If you live where it's hot, it's a great option.
Love mine.
T
Old 11-19-2018, 09:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Porsche already figured out what we reconfirmed in this thread - different people want different options and probably why they offer all the various models with all the various choices.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:57 AM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd be fine with a sliding moonroof or a moonroof that only popped up. The finicky sunroof is a waste for me anyway.

i would love ventilated seats for summer.

Self dimming mirrors are one of my favorite features as I drive a third of my miles in the dark. But these should be standard like in my other vehicles that were half the price.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Manual Transmission- Sports cars are supposed to go faster not slower, PDK is far superior

Quick Reply: Useless Options - Things you would never get