- homelink
- full leather
- any other colour besides seal grey
Old 11-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
The wart. Looks good I suppose. Much rather it be a clock.

Alcantara anywhere other than headliner.

$800 colored seatbelts.
I'm with you on the Alcantara, it's a manmade synthetic material that luxury automakers have marketed as a premium, I don't get it, total con job.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:09 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Manual Transmission- Sports cars are supposed to go faster not slower, PDK is far superior
I'm with you. Manual transmissions are good exercise for your left leg and that's about it.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:55 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandwedge
On a manual, not critical. With PDK it's much more than a useless stopwatch and is a must have imo. Wouldn't own a PDK car without it.
Unless you are an avid heal and toe'er, like me. Throttle blips are much more smoothly done.

As the owner of a base 997.2 with sport chrono, however, I've concluded that rather than get the sport chrono option for however much it costs, you are better off to buy an aftermarket tune. It gets you the more aggressive throttle tip-in and you get the minor driveability/horsepower bump too. Not to mention you don't have to hit that confounded button on the dash every time you get in the car, like I do.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:03 PM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold my PDK C2S to buy a manual C2S.

Sports cars are also supposed to be engaging, not just hold the wheel and press the pedal.

The broader market must feel the same, otherwise why would Porsche bother to bring back the manual in the GT3?

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Manual Transmission- Sports cars are supposed to go faster not slower, PDK is far superior
Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Balr14
I'm with you. Manual transmissions are good exercise for your left leg and that's about it.
Heh. Recently I heard the one of my podcasts (I think it was Matt Farah) describe this difference of opinion perfectly.

The guy who wants the ultimate speed and a PDK is a "car enthusiast". To go faster at the track he upgrades his car.
The guy who wants a manual at the cost of outright speed is a "driving enthusiast". To go faster at the track he upgrades himself.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:51 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

After DD 2 cars since 2013, one automatic and one DCT, I bought a manual Porsche. I was never thrilled at feeling and hearing my car shift itself, no matter how fast those shifts were compared with me shifting a manual. Manual is not an option, PDK is. Not an option box I plan to ever check on a Porsche. If I were a racer, or felt a thrill from running a track a couple seconds faster, the extra few thousand dollars would make some sense.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
During the driver's session in the Porscheplatz at this year's Road Atlanta Petit le Mans, 3 of the factory Motorsports drivers were there and at the Q&A someone asked the question about racing the PDK vs a Manual. It was interesting that all 3 said they preferred a manual gearbox, even in their race cars, but said essentially "we have to drive what they give us". The interesting part is that they talked about the Pros of each, with the main benefit to the PDK being the speed in which the shifts can be done without having to let off the power vs. the main benefit of the manual, being the ability to skip gears. The example they gave was when coming off a very fast straight into a very slow corner, where in the PDK you have to sequentially work your way from 5th to 2nd, whereas in the manual you just go straight there. They said it's mechanically faster to do that, and also prevents some unsettling of the rear of the car that having to incrementally work though the PDK gears causes, vs just straight braking while shifting, then accelerating.

At the level the rest of us on here drive, I'm sure the PDK is much faster, but I found it interesting to hear the professional motorsports drivers' view on the advantages to the manual gearbox technology, and that in their street cars, manuals are also what they prefer. I think it was Nick Tandy that did most of the talking on the topic and the other 2 were nodding and concurring.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:26 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
If you live where it's hot, it's a great option.
Love mine.
T
Sometimes I kick around the idea of replacing my ventilated seats with adaptives, but man do I change my mind when it's hot and muggy out or I'm coming home from the gym.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:36 PM
bliq00
Instructor

strangely enough, I don't ever use the sport mode ever on my sport chrono equipped C2S. the previous owner disconnected some vacuum hose and apparently I'm always in the louder exhaust mode, which I like. But the mode that i guess sharpens the throttle response and stiffens the dampers- I don't actually ever use it. The dash wart is eye candy and unique but I dont' really use that either- I always thought it was an analog clock. without that, I dont' really use the lap timer. The retracting wing? I don't ever notice it at all, I guess that's more a thing for people on the outside looking in. Full leather though, that to me makes the interior look like something special. I'd pay for that option if I had to.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Scottc714
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Useless options....
My other rides were 2 -SC's and a 3.2 Carrera . Those interiors had nuttin honey .Okay they had leather but thats the only "option".
The AC and radios were worthless. The saving grace..... they were manuals!

My 993's the same...it came with leather and a key. It has levers and a few ***** as well.. When the AC drain line clogs I get water soaking my right sock and shoe going around a corner... WTH is up with that I thought. That was a worthless option.....a small waterfall under the dash

My 996 Turbo had an ok interior and the X50 package which was good but everything else about the car was a moot point because it was a tip. So
it was full of worthless options. A boring car that hauled a$$.

Enter my new to me 2008 997.1. Full of options and I love all of em. Will probably never use the dash timer but it looks good.
I drove the car for a week before i even new i had a sport exhaust. Damn cool...no more Prius sound !
I didnt know what any of the buttons did. still learning.
Ive been used to being a lever and slide **** kinda guy.
Im used to getting in a car that smells like German upholstery, gas, and oil (awesome i know) and i have to lock and unlock the car every time I wanna drive it
Believe me the 993 immobilizer is thee most worthless thing Porsche ever came up with.

After awhile I may come up with some useless options that my 997 has but for now I love em all!
My car only has 21k on it and looks and drives like new.
Really liking this car :

Quick Reply: Useless Options - Things you would never get