Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:39 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts
Default Useless Options - Things you would never get

2009 C2S 129K miles

We need a new useless thread. Yea, a thread about useless things. I be drinkin' Pilsner Urquells..... got me thinking..... usually beer doesn't get me thinkin' but quite the opposite... but anywho....

What options do you think are useless, stupid, and a waste? Look, they all are..... and all over priced. But really, what options would you never order.

1 - Center lock wheels - are you crazy? what tire shop can remove them!!!
B - Ceramic rotors - this was a solution to a problem that didn't exist... cars break records all the time with iron rotors... when did these iron rotors become crappy?
3 - Sport exhaust - oooo! flip a switch ... yea, just like silicone falsies
4. - That big screaming chicken on the hood with that fake scoop.... oops, wrong forum

OK, the sport exhaust will light many of you up, but what is a post without some controversy?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-16-2018, 08:49 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Convertible top and AWD (if I didn’t need it for winter). Don’t have any use for a trans other than a manual either.
Plenty of other stuff that Porsche options that’s kind of silly.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:11 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
Convertible top and AWD (if I didn’t need it for winter). Don’t have any use for a trans other than a manual either.
Plenty of other stuff that Porsche options that’s kind of silly.
Great, another anti-convertible-ite

And btw neither of those things are options. You order a cab and can then choose your options and you cant order as C2S and then tick the option box for AWD

Agree with Bruce on the other things. Have not heard of many people who dont just use the PSE all the time. Should have just made the cars with a sport exhaust to start with and saved the weight of having valves etc

But i have to have leather surrounded a/c vents and porsche crested seats!
Old 11-16-2018, 09:45 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 129K miles

We need a new useless thread. Yea, a thread about useless things. I be drinkin' Pilsner Urquells..... got me thinking..... usually beer doesn't get me thinkin' but quite the opposite... but anywho....

What options do you think are useless, stupid, and a waste? Look, they all are..... and all over priced. But really, what options would you never order.

1 - Center lock wheels - are you crazy? what tire shop can remove them!!!
Always an entertaining post from Bruce!

Hey I quite like my centerlocks! I haven't had any issues is the 2.5 years I've had my car about whether or not a tire shop can take them off. Just recently I got the stuff I need to take them off myself for DIY jobs. Otherwise they've only had to come off to get new wheels, as I got new wheels and tires at the same time. I didn't look for a GTS with them, but when I found the one I wanted I was happy it had them. I'd have been happy to get the 5 lug too and save any potential hassle. Now, years later, I'm glad the car has them but I don't feel strongly about it. If/when I buy another GTS I'll probably get it with centerlocks.

As far as things I'd never get on a 911, I can't rightly say as I will likely only ever buy a used one. And the used ones don't have an itemized charge for the options. I can't see much use in full leather. I bought the car to drive it, not stroke it. Same goes with extra carbon interior add ons. But if the car I want has some of this kind of stuff that won't stop me from buying it. Mostly I'm interested in performance options and there are uses for them all, to a lesser or greater extent. PCCB are good for reducing unsprung weight for example.

Most of the stuff I don't feel strongly enough about not to buy a car just because it has something I dont care about

Old 11-16-2018, 09:52 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I always thought the crested seats were hokey. The I saw them in the flesh on a beige interior like mine with them; just like Jimmy Carter, I lusted in my heart.
T
Old 11-16-2018, 11:44 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Gotta say... I love my Soul Performance valved exhaust. It is way louder than a PSE system when activated at highway speeds or downshifting after a sprint. Whenever I merge onto 309 or the PA turnpike, they hear it in Cherry Hill! Back in the burbs, it's instant mild.

You're right on with the other examples. Great post!
Old 11-17-2018, 12:06 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PDK - tried, just couldn't warm to it

PCCBs - unnecessarily expensive and fragile

Center locks - unnecessary complexity and wannabe race car

Decorative carbon fiber - no comment

Leather wrapped dash vents or similar bits - just because you can doesn't mean you should
Old 11-17-2018, 12:09 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Probably wood interior trim. I know many feel the 997 is thoroughly a cushy GT, but wood still seems better suited to a Jaguar or S-Class.

Edit: Supple leather, too.

Last edited by Skwerl; 11-17-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:21 AM
Ohio Performance
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 188 Likes on 77 Posts

Wish there was a sunroof delete. Weight up high sucks. Hell anything that add unnecessary weight is a waste imho. (To an extent)
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 11-17-2018, 12:25 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This.

Unfortunately sunroof was standard on the US 997s... import tariffs or some such.

Originally Posted by Ohio Performance
Wish there was a sunroof delete. Weight up high sucks. Hell anything that add unnecessary weight is a waste imho. (To an extent)
Old 11-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Ohio Performance
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 188 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah i read that and was confused as hell why Porsche didn't go through the process (because didn't they do it with the G3's?)

Originally Posted by rw229
This.

Unfortunately sunroof was standard on the US 997s... import tariffs or some such.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Multi function steering wheel
Carbon fiber decorations all over the place. Fine on the back of GT2 seats for weight saving but that's far enough.
Wood trim.
GT3 RS wing on anything other than a real RS.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:42 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I haven’t seen painted interior trim yet that I have found to be attractive. A painted center console just seems to beg to be scratched all to hell.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:26 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Anyone complaining about centerlocks secretly wishes they had a GT3.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:10 AM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

delete

Quick Reply: Useless Options - Things you would never get