Topgear center muffler bypass for 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 08:36 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
I preferred the Speedy on Nato strap over the Sub.

Wait...we are talking about Exhausts?!?!
LOL!
Old 02-02-2021, 07:02 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Dumb question: Does the TopGear pipe have an opening where the two sides meet at the "U"?
That is, do the gases from two side mix at that U-point?
Old 02-02-2021, 07:20 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by etom
Dumb question: Does the TopGear pipe have an opening where the two sides meet at the "U"?
That is, do the gases from two side mix at that U-point?
Yes. Disclaimer, I did not stick anything down there to confirm this, but the way the 2 U's come together indicate that their is a x-pipe type of cutout that was welded together for scavenging effect. I am pretty sure I looked down one of the short sides and was able to see the hole, but I am not positive. Whatever I DID do, I walked away knowing that the gasses do mix.

Last edited by Christian Stark; 02-02-2021 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:23 PM
mdfud
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone have experience with the valved package from top gear? https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-91...alved-cat-back
Old 03-08-2021, 10:39 PM
carbonduc27
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I got my 2011 C2S in January and immediately added a fabspeed center cross-pipe. Lost weight and added a nice tone but I wanted more dB. I went for the top gear valved system so I could go quiet when I needed and also the price was better than some other options.

It was in stock when I ordered it and came super fast. install was easy but I waited a few weeks before running the with the valves open and no electronics hooked up (with no electronics it defaults to OPEN mode.

I am super happy with the results. It is loud in the cold mornings when I leave for work but in the cabin is not bad at all ( I have other VERY loud cars so that is subject to taste). I think having all the noise in the back makes the cabin noise much lower than what the car behind me hears.

I also go the carbon tips when I ordered it and they look amazing. I cannot think of a negative aspect of this exhaust, I am very happy with it. I may consider going headers and race cats in the future but honestly, I am just enjoying the car now and am not going down my normal path of "upgrading" every part to make it "better"
Old 03-08-2021, 10:51 PM
mdfud
Advanced

The top gear website says the valves are controlled by a key fob. Do the electronics work well?
Old 03-09-2021, 03:35 PM
carbonduc27
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had no issues with the electronics. I was hoping to be able to connect the box 12v in the engine bay but ended up running the power wire from the fuse panel. I was installing a backup cam at the same time so it really wasn't extra work to run the wired into the cabin. I also installed all electronic box hidden under the back window carpet so it is not in the heat from the engine. Hopefully that makes it last a little longer.

The electronics and solenoid seem pretty generic so even if it fails in the future it would be easy to order a new one off ebay or whatever.

I saw another user programmed one of the garage buttons to the remote so you can just reach up and turn it off and on. Pretty clean install - I need to do that next.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:38 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mdfud
Does anyone have experience with the valved package from top gear? https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-91...alved-cat-back
I have it along with their center muffler bypass. Easy to install, works well, and a fraction of the cost of other systems. I used the installation instructions for the factory sport exhaust to locate a vacuum source. Using the included remote I programmed the Homelink buttons to operate it. It sounds a lot like the PSE I had on a GTS but a little louder which I like.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:54 PM
mdfud
Advanced

Sent pm.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:27 PM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

I just installed my Topgear x pipe on my 997.2 C2 and I’m very happy with it. I previously had just the Fisters, and under 3000 rpm, there is barely any difference, perhaps just a bit more boxer rumble. I chose the x pipe design because the cross over designs sounded buzzy to me on videos. The x pipe sounded beefier to me in vids, and it proved true to my ear in real life.

As the tach sweeps past 3000 rpm, it gets progressively louder in a good way. By 6k-7k the engine really rips and sounds pissed off. There is a very slight resonance at 5k but it goes away as you sweep past. Cruising at 65-70mph, there is no noticeable increase in sound over the Fisters, which is nice for highway cruising.

Another odd benefit is the my idle is now smoother than before! After I installed the Function First engine mounts, my idle had a noticeable increase in vibration, causing a few trim bits to buzz. After the bypass, the idle is super smooth, with no vibrations. Odd but I’ll take it!

The install went smoothly. After reading just about every center bypass install post here, I was really worried about broken bolts. However, I soaked everything for 2-3 days in Kroil, and had no issues. I also removed the rear bumper skin and bumper beam, which made it so much easier to swap and line up the new pipes. I did not change the cat studs, but used new stainless nuts with anti seize. The hardest part was reinstalling the bumper skin and getting the last two torx screws inserted into the wheel wells. I ended up jacking up the rear wheels slightly to get a better angle, and it worked out.

In summary, this is an awesome mod for about $600 and there really is no downside at all. Highly recommended!

Heres a short video (on a closed road &#128578

Last edited by ewc; 04-02-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:40 PM
99SevenFan
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ewc
I just installed my Topgear x pipe on my 997.2 C2 and I’m very happy with it. I previously had just the Fisters, and under 3000 rpm, there is barely any difference, perhaps just a bit more boxer rumble. I chose the x pipe design because the cross over designs sounded buzzy to me on videos. The x pipe sounded beefier to me in vids, and it proved true to my ear in real life.

As the tach sweeps past 3000 rpm, it gets progressively louder in a good way. By 6k-7k the engine really rips and sounds pissed off. There is a very slight resonance at 5k but it goes away as you sweep past. Cruising at 65-70mph, there is no noticeable increase in sound over the Fisters, which is nice for highway cruising.

Another odd benefit is the my idle is now smoother than before! After I installed the Function First engine mounts, my idle had a noticeable increase in vibration, causing a few trim bits to buzz. After the bypass, the idle is super smooth, with no vibrations. Odd but I’ll take it!

The install went smoothly. After reading just about every center bypass install post here, I was really worried about broken bolts. However, I soaked everything for 2-3 days in Kroil, and had no issues. I also removed the rear bumper skin and bumper beam, which made it so much easier to swap and line up the new pipes. I did not change the cat studs, but used new stainless nuts with anti seize. The hardest part was reinstalling the bumper skin and getting the last two torx screws inserted into the wheel wells. I ended up jacking up the rear wheels slightly to get a better angle, and it worked out.

In summary, this is an awesome mod for about $600 and there really is no downside at all. Highly recommended!

Heres a short video (on a closed road &#128578https://youtube.com/shorts/fb5LEKKBFCM

Do you have a PDK or manual?
Old 04-03-2021, 05:16 PM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Manual

Originally Posted by GTank
Do you have a PDK or manual?
The following users liked this post:
99SevenFan (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 12:43 PM
mdfud
Advanced

Installed the x pipe on my 11 C2S. Just what I was looking for. First, it is extremely well made; it bolted on with no fussing of shoving and second, it makes wonderful noise between 3k-7k and doesn’t drone while cruising. Great value for $499 on eBay.
ewc (04-04-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 02:00 PM
9INE97
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Love my topgear bypass. Combined with fisters it is perfect in my opinion. Not too loud but with just enough growl.
eddy_911 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 09:31 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

Just received my topgear bypass. Looking forward to installing it. Curious if anyone has done this install without removing the bumper?

Quick Reply: Topgear center muffler bypass for 997.2