Sponsored by:

New Owner's Been Torqued and Needs Advice on Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 12:51 AM
billh3508
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner's Been Torqued and Needs Advice on Water Pump

Hello Anyone.... I have a 2006 997 C4 Tiptronic that is bankrupting me! . My current crisis still involves my transmission that the local Porsche Dealership replaced with one that I purchased from L.A. Dismantlers with 28,000 miles in June 2018 . In addition, they replaced various hoses and a new water pump. Shortly after, I began smelling a sweet odor from the engine bay figuring it was probably a leak from the cooling system. However, I could not see any visible signs. Later, I discovered a small amount of fluid under my car. I still was unable to locate the leak until yesterday when I saw a larger amount of fluid from underneath the rear. Here is a photo clearly showing the leak. My question is - will this be the dealerships problem or are they likely to say that it was a result of another problem not relating to the recent work??

I have only driven less than 300 miles from when I received my Porsche back from the dealership. Since I purchased my lifelong dream of owning a 911 Carrera, it has bankrupted me. I purchased the car used with exactly 90,000 miles from the Dealership in September 2016. It was a two owner car with fairly well documented service repairs and a clean Carfax report. The second owner, was the Porsche Parts Manager at the Dealership, whom I have known since we were in Junior High School together. He stated that their were no problems as far as he knew. He only put around 850 miles on the car and then turned it back to the Dealership and they put it back on the lot. I am at fault, however I had tremendous respect for him, his opinions,and his endorsement. And I felt certain and without a doubt that if the Porsche Parts Manager with 45 years of experience would have made any repairs and servicing if he owned the car. My dad has purchased parts for his 912's for the past 40 years with his help. So I took his word as gospel without any research. Now that I am a member of Rennlist, I see that I am a big fool, a little Minnow, thinking that I could swim with the Big Fish and now I have lost $28,500 plus change for the purchase, and an additional $18,000 for one problem after another (most if these repair costs were a result of the original Trans that began leaking shortly after my purchase and what I have determined and have documented to be the fraudulent, three time attempted repair by European Transmissions in Cumming, GA). I intend on posting my devastating timeline of events and costs hoping that someone will offer valid solutions and remedies that I can pursue.

I am very grateful for anyone's thoughts on the leaking water pump. Thank you! Bill H.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Sorry to hear about all your problems. My -06 C4S was the most dependable car I ever had but it only had half the miles of yours when I traded it. Hard to tell what that fluid is in the picture. Almost looks like it could be oil but I think you need to get the car up on a lift to find out for sure where it's coming from. You've really been unlucky with the transmissions. The TIP is not the most popular tranny for the 997 but it does have a reputation for being next to indestructible. Kind of hard to follow the events as they unfolded.

Sounds like you bought the car from the dealership you had a long time relationship with and the transmission started leaking shortly thereafter. Then you (or the dealership?) had European Transmissions attempt to repair it three times without success. Your next move was to buy a used TIP from an LA dismantler. I assume that one came without a warranty and that the dealer offered no warranty either except for the actual installation work. What exactly is the problem with the transmission at this time? Are you assuming the fluid on the floor is transmission fluid? The fluid doesn't look like coolant to me but if a water pump that was recently replaced by your dealer already failed it should surely be replaced at no cost to you.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:22 AM
billh3508
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your reply. I guess I rambled and I was not very clear. I have not discussed with anyone knowledgeable until now. It has been 2 years of daily battles. The photos show a drip from the new water pump that was installed during the Transmission transplant. My big concern based on past expenditures with this dealership is that they will not take responsibility for it. I am trying to prepare for any other reasons that they may have for the leak. The Trans from L.A. appeared in great condition, however there are no guarantees. The dealership has offered no goodwill and advised me that I purchased it without a warranty. I paid L.A. $3,900 to ship and the dealership charged $5,200 for the transplant. The car is beautiful. The interior and leather is in great condition and when I hit 4200 rpm's I am transformed from the hole I dug. I am going to proceed with a small claims judgement with this guy in Cumming. I believe from my research that he is a fraud. I then will put together a chronological time line with photos and details for the last two years and present To Porsche USA Customer Relations. Again I am grateful for your conversation. Bill H Montgomery
Old 10-01-2018, 09:08 AM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

$5200 for transmission drop and replace sounds a bit high. Even at $200/hr which I think is on the high side of labor rates, that is 26 hrs. I would think this is effort is about half that. Was there other work completed with the transmission replacement like IMS upgrade, AOS replacement, etc?
Old 10-01-2018, 10:07 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience, that really sucks. I agree that $5200 for a transmission replacement is a lot, just for labor. Maybe $5200 all in with the used unit is more appropriate.

However, regarding the water pump, if a dealer replaced your WP with a new unit 3-4 months ago and it's leaking then they should absolutely fix it. Dealer repairs carry a warranty.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:42 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

To your question, yes that looks like a coolant leak from the water pump area at the bolts shown. Likely they were not torqued to proper spec, and likely, that's all you need to do. Also, the leak could be emanating from above those bolts and trickling down to there. Regardless, the car need to be carefully inspected for the source of the leak, then the bolts need to be properly tightened or whatever else causing it needs to be corrected. I have had this issue in the past with my Porsches, but it has been due to my work - it could be a clamp on a hose that was not properly tightened.

As to the dealer, they are absolutely responsible for the error and ensuing leak. Time is important - do not sit on it. The longer you wait to report the issue and demand a fix, the less likely you will prevail. Also, find a good independent mechanic and stop wasting your money at a dealership on an out of warranty car. Dealer overhead is very high, and you pay for that. Plus they make money from selling parts, and you'll pay for that too.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:31 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Firstly, I have known no Porsche Dealer that would install a used transmission - Are we correct in understanding your statement that a Porsche Dealer installed a used transmission that you purchased from LA Dismantlers?.
I'm sorry you have had to deal with these issues but buying any used car runs the risk of mechanical failure over time.
I'm sure Dealer will help with water pump replacement - could be simple like gasket issue - gasket is large
You can certainly recoup a bit of your investment as long as you repaired the car properly and have paperwork for the transmission's low mileage - But certainly $18K is a huge amount of $$ to be throwing into your car.

Did LA Dismantlers give you a warranty with the transmission??
All the best.

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2018, 01:48 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

What is the level in your expansion tank? I see two areas therethat might indicate a leak up higher. Iirc the expansion tanks are notorious for cracking and leaking on 997.1.
Did your $ 5200 also include water pump replacement?
Old 10-01-2018, 02:30 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 278 Posts

I did a clutch replacement in my 2005 C2. The waterpump started leaking the next day. Coincidence? Yes. Yours too.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:43 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

It is unclear from your post as to the details of the involvement of European Transmissions in Cumming, GA. You say that the Porsche dealer installed the transmission and water pump. With that in mind, I would certainly expect that the Porsche dealer would willingly repair the leak related to the Porsche water pump they installed. Have you asked them to do that? When a Porsche dealer installs a new part, it always comes with a warranty for labor and parts. I'm not positive but it is either 2 years or 1 year.

If for some reason European Transmissions did some work that involved your water pump, then all bets are off on the Porsche dealer. Otherwise, the Porsche dealer should make this right.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:55 AM
billh3508
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. The leaks are coming from where the hose coupling attaches to the water pump. As was suggested, I pulled out a 10mm socket and tightened each one ever so lightly. It appears to have stopped. I will call the dealership and take it in for inspection this week. It's only when you open the door of a Porsche, smell the distinctive smell of leather, and hit 4200rpms on
a back country road that it all makes it worth while ! Thanks again, Bill H - Montgomery

Quick Reply: New Owner's Been Torqued and Needs Advice on Water Pump