Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Gauge Face or Aftermarket Overlay???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 02:29 AM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Gauge Face or Aftermarket Overlay???

Im trying to figure out if my Gt2 Gauge face is OEM or an Overlay of some sort.. I find it hard to believe the gauge face would be out of alignment from the factory but the aftermarket gauge faces i see don't have GT2 on them from what i can find.. What do you guys think?? its driving me crazy,, Im going to take the cluster out soon and see but I'm trying to figure out what my plan of action will be if these are aftermarket faces because i don't have the stock ones to replace and i don't want to get aftermarket ones again.. i want the cluster Gray like OEM..

Notice the 175 and 250 water temp?? and 175MPH?? Its not lined up.. Im praying i can just peel off an overlay..

Old 07-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

There is a good chance they are after-market stickers. I know they were offered in white to change instrument faces from the basic black. Some of those stickers would develop bubbles over time. However, with lower production models, different colored adhesive backed faces might be used to save money rather than painting?
Old 07-12-2017, 12:23 AM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

So to be sure I had the dealer run the vin and it shows the car was optioned with red gauges. Hard to believe the factory faces could turn out like this.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:29 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeAWD
So to be sure I had the dealer run the vin and it shows the car was optioned with red gauges. Hard to believe the factory faces could turn out like this.
I'll post a pic of my sand beige ones tomorrow. They're beyond mis-aligned and also factory. I was so pissed the PPI shop didn't notice it as I bought the car sight-unseen.

I got lucky and just bought a new silver cluster on craigslist for $200. Will try surgery next weekend to swap it over.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:38 PM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

Your fortunate. It's a near impossible mission for me to find a GT2 specific cluster. I'm going to end up buying a new cluster cause it bothers the **** out of me.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:50 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeAWD
Your fortunate. It's a near impossible mission for me to find a GT2 specific cluster. I'm going to end up buying a new cluster cause it bothers the **** out of me.
Sorry, finally got around to trying to tackle this over the weekend. I managed to open my new gauge cluster, but does anyone know how to remove the electronic gauges from the plastic "pod"?

I figure it's easier to swap the computer board, than the gauge face (and risk breaking the needles). Taking off the glass was easy, but I have no idea how to unclip the electronics to get to the guts inside.

You thought yours was bad... look at my crap

Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 AM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

I'm wondering can the overlay just be peeled off?? I'm honestly going to have to buy a new cluster for 2k if I can get mine back to the OEM face.

Trending Topics

Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

I have this 997 black face cluster available for $750 shipped if anyone is interested. If your front bezel assembly is better, you can swap that over, and others have actually plasti-dipped theirs to add some color to match the exterior, colored seatbelts, etc. It won't say GT2 in it, and I'm not sure where boost is shown in a GT2 and if it will give you that readout, but maybe while it's apart, you can add a GT2 logo yourself and save $1,250.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:04 PM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Trying to resurrect this thread, as I recently bought a car sight unseen (seller's pic didn't show this) and my gauges show the same misalignment of gauges. Did the OP ever resolve this annoying defect. BTW my car options list also shows GR instrument dials, so I have to agree this was a Porsche screw up at the factory.

Thanks,
Old 09-28-2018, 11:05 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Originally Posted by tuto993
Trying to resurrect this thread, as I recently bought a car sight unseen (seller's pic didn't show this) and my gauges show the same misalignment of gauges. Did the OP ever resolve this annoying defect. BTW my car options list also shows GR instrument dials, so I have to agree this was a Porsche screw up at the factory.

Thanks,
I still have the cluster in the post below available.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:23 PM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
I still have the cluster in the post below available.
Thanks for the offer but I actually want to keep the GR gauges. I think they look awesome in my GR car.
I was wondering if there is a way to fix them and how to.

Notice the 175 and 250 degrees F markers

Notice the 0 and 25 mph markers

I wonder if they can be put apart and re-aligned, or if i bought a set of red gauges, is this an easy job or better to learn to live with it...

CHEERS!
Old 09-29-2018, 01:24 AM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

BBA Remanfacturing will be able to help out.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:17 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by tuto993
Thanks for the offer but I actually want to keep the GR gauges. I think they look awesome in my GR car.
I was wondering if there is a way to fix them and how to.

Notice the 175 and 250 degrees F markers

Notice the 0 and 25 mph markers

I wonder if they can be put apart and re-aligned, or if i bought a set of red gauges, is this an easy job or better to learn to live with it...

CHEERS!

No surprise here but my dealer told me that it's much easier to swap the whole cluster than to swap the individual gauge faces which is not an easy job. My red faces were bought and installed by FVD and are perfectly aligned. https://www.fvd.net/us-en/shop?&term=&searchtype=fvd-product&search_mode=&view=thumb&order=score&fq%5B%5D=198&fq%5B%5D=237

Seems like they do a better job than the factory.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:13 AM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
No surprise here but my dealer told me that it's much easier to swap the whole cluster than to swap the individual gauge faces which is not an easy job. My red faces were bought and installed by FVD and are perfectly aligned. https://www.fvd.net/us-en/shop?&term=&searchtype=fvd-product&search_mode=&view=thumb&order=score&fq%5B%5D=198&fq%5B%5D=237

Seems like they do a better job than the factory.

So, did you send them your instrument pod? What was the turn around time?
Thanks!
Old 09-29-2018, 03:14 AM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BaileyII
BBA Remanfacturing will be able to help out.
I will check them out, thank you!

Quick Reply: OEM Gauge Face or Aftermarket Overlay???