2007 997 C4S catastrophic engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 01:31 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I don't track my cars nor would I ever buy a P-car that has been tracked
I guess if you're going to track a Porsche with 125K miles, it better have new water pump, new belts, upgraded oil deep sump kit/etc. before leaving the starting line
The deep oil sump kit has always been highly recommended when tracking 996 & 997's
True. Precautions must be made.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,062 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by KidDoc
So would anyone put a new engine in a car with 125k miles. I'm thinking it might be crazy. I know I might get a lot of miles out of the engine, but will I from the rest of the car?

Also, was it dumb to track a car with 125k miles? I guess I thought Porsches were made for that...
I was just pondering that question. I see quotes here probably averaging around $30K for a new engine installed, all said and done. That's more than a 2007 C4S with 125,000 miles is worth. Quiet a bit more. No doubt you would add value to the car with a new engine but by how much? Everything else on the car still has 125,000 miles.

Subjective topic. If the engine turns out to be irreparable and if it was mine, I would sell the car as a roller for based on other similar stories would bring around $7K, give or take. Add the cost of a new engine and you'll be within a whisper of the cost of a 2007 or even a 2008 C4S with half the miles of yours. Here's one I found with a 2 minute search: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=492807799&zip=34243&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D34243%26startYear%3D2007%26sortBy%3Dr elevance%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2008%26modelC odeList%3D911%26makeCodeList%3DPOR%26searchRadius%3D0%26trimCodeList%3D9 11%257CCarrera%2B4S&startYear=2007&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2 008&modelCodeList=911&makeCodeList=POR&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=POR&mode lCode1=911
Old 09-26-2018, 02:43 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm with sandwedge. Sell the car and put the money toward a newer model.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:41 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a used 3.8 motor? Dumping $30k into a car that is worth......30K doesnt compute. But a used $15k motor makes more sense.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-997...AAAOSwGZZbdF5G

But if you just want to have the most cash at the end of the day, sell the roller and put it towards another car.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:09 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 806 Likes on 453 Posts

There are probably 800 threads asking this but does no one ever swap GT3 motors in to C2S cars? I am guessing it is not as easy as dropping a B18c into a civic that had a D series motor before. It just seems like more people would be doing that if it were possible or within any kind of realm of affordable.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:46 AM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 94 968 that I track. I put a heavily modified new engine in it this year. Perhaps the question is not necessarily about the mileage on the car but the upgrades. A car that has been modified for the track can be run fine.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:00 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by KidDoc
I took it to my local Porsche dealer and he says there is basically a hole in the engine and the core isn't any good. He's talking $25k plus $4-5k for the core.

Do I have any options?

Thanks for the advice.
a lot of good advice here. However, I would not let a dealer anywhere near this, unless it was warranty work. That is the absolute highest cost solution to your problem. Source the short block from your own sources, plus the other critical components, and find yourself a good indy shop, even if you have to ship the roller there. You'll easily save $10K.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,730 Likes on 4,282 Posts

Man, I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. With coolant and oil leaking out together, sounds like the block cracked or you had a D-chunk failure where the cylinder sleeve comes loose, slides up, then a piece breaks off, gets mashed up by the piston and you have coolant and oil mixing together where they shouldn't be. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but if fairly mechanical, another option would be to take Jake's and Charles' M96/M97-101 and 102 classes where you actually are taught how to and do rebuild one of these motors. With this knowledge, you could then source the parts and build your own motor to put back into the car. Sometimes there's a class scheduled for around this time of year, but looking on the site it looks like they only scheduled one pair this year and they were in May for the online 101 course and June for the 102 hands-on class. Maybe look into next year's schedule if you have the flexibility to wait it out. I took the classes a couple years ago and it was a great experience and learned a lot about the motors in these cars. These engines are actually much simpler than the old air cooled motors, which is contrary to what you'd think since they have a complete additional subsystem for water cooling.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:55 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
If the heads are good, Porsche makes a short block that is reasonable for the 996's. Not sure about the 997's, but check there first.

RND makes rebuilt engines with new cylinders, etc

Without a core it is going to be way more expensive.

Call flat 6 engineering and talk with them. If you love the car and going to keep it forever could be a great option
We don't have any 3.8 engines in stock over on the RND side that are ready to ship. I have one in process that will be done in probably 6-8 weeks, but it would be good to know for your own purposes what exactly failed on your original engine to determine the viability of the core.

Flat 6 Innovations can put together a monster track engine using our Nickies cylinders and all the upgrades we LN and Flat 6 have jointly developed.

Another option like Pete mentioned is to try to do the rebuild yourself. I'd recommend signing up for our hands on classes at the Knowledge Gruppe. Then you can go home with the confidence that you can build the engine yourself, if you are so inclined to go down that option.

You have many options for sure. Just do you homework and if you choose to use a local shop to do the work, make sure they are familiar with the M96 engine and the work required to prevent any future failures.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:00 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 983 Posts

I am not so sure about the aversion to a dealer...... there are many advantages. First, the work and the engine is guaranteed for two years. This is a very very good thing. A replacement engine is not rocket science ..... it is standard procedure for a dealer as they are removing and reinstalling engines all the time. Regarding the "high cost" of a dealer, well, I don;t think it is out of line at all. When my Boxster engine failed, the costs were similar to Jake Raby.... but with Jake's engine, I got more HP and the other failure modes addressed..... more good things.... but the costs were very similar. For me, at that time, I was going to favor a Raby engine over a Porsche replacement due to the expected higher reliability and HP.

If it were me, as it was, I would weigh a few things: 1) what would it cost to now, simply, buy another car and what do you get for that... that is your value system here. For me, my chassis had 197K miles on it and used prices of 911s were depressed so it made sense for me to dump the roller and move on to a 997.2 2) Dealer replace, 3) Raby replace, 4) Indy rebuild 5) Salvage engine and Indy. The Indy rebuild will save you money.... my indy, a local respected ex-dealer shop foreman, thought he could do a rebuild and save me 10K but he would not be sure until he tore it apart. The guy who purchased my roller put in a salvage engine... I can't remember his total cost but I think it was all about less than 1/2 price a replacement engine. His worked out well and he tracked the car heavily.... and still doing it.

Good luck,
Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-26-2018, 01:01 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

If I loved the car I'd be looking to upgrade to a better engine if possible, but if not.. sell it as a roller and move on. My GTS.. I'd be getting a factory reman X51 to put back in it as I like the engine in my car quite a bit and have doubts about it being rebuilt to the same greatness.

I'm surprised your instructor didn't question you tracking a Porsche with 125K miles.
I believe there are't many owners who would have subjected a 125K mile car to track driving
I absolutely would track a Porsche with 125k miles on it. Not sure my 911 is going to get there, but my Cayman already has 93k and I will track it. Kinda silly to buy something so capable and not utilize its capabilities ever.

Coulda saved money and got a Camry!
Old 09-26-2018, 01:13 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

^^^ or get a TSX or MT or something in your budget while you save for a 4.0!!
Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,980 Likes on 2,950 Posts

There was just a dead/non-running 2005 base 997 on BAT that sold for $14K last week
That's fairly good money for a non-running car.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,062 Likes on 745 Posts

There was just a dead/non-running 2005 base 997 on BAT that sold for $14K last week
That's fairly good money for a non-running car.
Very good money for a 997 with a destroyed engine. Did it say why it wasn't running?
Old 09-27-2018, 03:41 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Question

Originally Posted by jamesinger
There are probably 800 threads asking this but does no one ever swap GT3 motors in to C2S cars? I am guessing it is not as easy as dropping a B18c into a civic that had a D series motor before. It just seems like more people would be doing that if it were possible or within any kind of realm of affordable.
so no one has looked into this?
there is a GT3 motor and trans. for sale in the classifieds right now?
Does it just cost too much to be worth it??

Quick Reply: 2007 997 C4S catastrophic engine failure