Sponsored by:

Leather / Full-Leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:15 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Leather / Full-Leather

997s are not very common on the used market local to me. One theme I keep hearing on the internet (where everything is right of course ) is that I don't want to buy a 997 without full-leather.

I drove a 2015 Panamera 4S and sat in a 2018 911 (the salesman offered to let me drive, even those I indicated I was not going to buy it, I was an idiot and turned him down) I wasn't impressed with my perception of the quality of the full-leather interior on either of the cars. Maybe my expectations were too high? Sure it looks nice-ish, however, it didn't feel all that magical to me and didn't give me warm fuzzy feelings. I drive a nicely equipped F150 as my daily driver and feel that the interior quality in the F150 is acceptable to me even though its doesnt have leather covering every surface.

Maybe I don't care about full-leather? Do non-full leather 997s really look/feel that bad? Would I care?

Last edited by Astraelraen; 09-25-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:18 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have it and not sure I miss it. Not sure what the big deal is in a 911. My build in 2010 was 123K. Not sure how are car that expensive could be only partial leather, but it is. I am fine without.
The following users liked this post:
Sam-g (07-04-2021)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:32 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 743 Likes on 425 Posts

For me, a proper Grand Touring sports car such as a 911 should have full leather at the price point they sell new. However, if I was just buying it to track it primarily, I wouldn't want full leather. I guess this is why there is such an ability to spec 911s so differently. However, I always think it is weird when someone has a cage, fire extinguisher, full leather, and 18 ways on a GT3 + bose and nav... If I have 18 ways and full leather... on a GT3, I don't need a cage or fire extinguisher. If I wanted a cage and a fire extinguisher, I would want LWB and no extended leather...especially on an RS. So, I think there is a logic to speccing these cars but I would never get normative about that. If someone is forking over cash to spec their own car, go nuts!! Nevertheless, as a poor sad street urchin who has to buy used to be in the 911 world, my 997 C2S is a daily, so I want full leather, the (crappy) Bose, NAV and all the creature comforts while having a sporty grand tourer. For an HPDE, that would still be great but you won't see me competing in a car equipped like that. If I was competing, I would strip everything I could. If I was a real baller and had a non-Cup GT3 for funtimes only and a nice cush daily, I would get a stripped out spec with all the performance/safety options possible. If I was ordering a Carrera to daily for all my needs, I want a cushier spec.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:45 PM
Vethen
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have sat in two cars back to back that had the same interior color but one had full leather and the other did not. Ignoring the few year age difference between them and anything else that I might not be aware of, the standard interior looked just as nice to my eye. Leather has the ability to show age.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:50 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however I wonder how many people have actually experienced a Porsche with a full leather versus standard leather interior. I have owned 4 Porsche’s, 2 with the full leather interior and 2 with the standard leather. I will never again purchase a Porsche with the full leather interior as it is too fragile and does not respond well to something as simple as water from rain wet clothing. My brand new 2015 model had the beautiful extended leather interior which costs a fortune and was ruined permanently when my son sat in the car with wet clothing. For me, the standard leather interior is much better able to deal with wear and tear from daily driving and it looks very similar. If you’re only looking for a garage queen show piece, I suppose it doesn’t matter. If you want your Porsche to be usaable, durable and functional like the brand is designed to be, I would skip the full leather and maybe just order the leather dash pad. Both of my standard leather interior 911’s have held up beautifully.

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
997s are not very common on the used market local to me. One theme I keep hearing on the internet (where everything is right of course ) is that I don't want to buy a 997 without full-leather.

I drove a 2015 Panamera 4S and sat in a 2018 911 (the salesman offered to let me drive, even those I indicated I was not going to buy it, I was an idiot and turned him down) I wasn't impressed with my perception of the quality of the full-leather interior on either of the cars. Maybe my expectations were too high? Sure it looks nice-ish, however, it didn't feel all that magical to me and didn't give me warm fuzzy feelings. I drive a nicely equipped F150 as my daily driver and feel that the interior quality in the F150 is acceptable to me even though its doesnt have leather covering every surface.

Maybe I don't care about full-leather? Do non-full leather 997s really look/feel that bad? Would I care?
Kuhl997.2! (07-01-2021)
Old 09-25-2018, 11:59 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 743 Likes on 425 Posts

^^^ good points.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:06 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,704 Posts

Whether you have full leather or not, seats are always made of leather on 997's. So unless you wrap the seats in plastic wrap, anything wet on the seat will have the same effect as full or partial leather interior.
I'd never let my kid in my car if he was sopping wet - Use towels or something else to protect the seats.

IMHO, Full leather is so much nicer - I've had P-cars with full leather and without - Full leather is much nicer with wrapped dash, door panels/etc.
Gives the car a much richer feeling and smell!
The following 2 users liked this post by groovzilla:
JAB_997 (07-18-2021), myw (04-25-2020)
Old 09-26-2018, 01:15 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

I like the full leather for the non shiny surface but mainly for the stitching. Just makes the interior look nicer.
myw (04-25-2020)
Old 09-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Full leather is a must have for me. Having the dash and door tops in leather with stitching instead of plastic makes the car so much nicer inside.
The following 3 users liked this post by Petza914:
Matt(inMA) (07-02-2021), myw (04-25-2020), The1beard (10-27-2021)
Old 09-26-2018, 09:17 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts

Honestly, that is the most ridiculous statement I’ve heard on here in a while. Just right now I went out to my car to take my son to school, and we were hit by a surprise rainstorm. Life happens. What, would you leave your son hanging behind and make him walk home? Also, how would you get in the car if it rains on you while you’re walking out to it. Again, for posers, or if you just want garage Queens, you can have leather floor mats, like a Pagani. For people who daily drive their dream cars, it needs to be more durable. The leather on the tops of the doors for example is very fragile. I nicked my brand new leather interior with my watch less than a week after taking delivery. The standard leather interior is much more durable, it still looks great and the car smells wonderful because of all the leather used in the seats. It is ridiculous to suggest that people should only buy a 911 with a full leather interior. Most in fact not have a full leather interior for a reason. Also, if buying new, the price is insanely high and not anywhere near a reasonable value. It’s fine if you have a preference, but to make a blanket statement that all of a certain car must have a certain trim or they are not worthy, is just simply immature and does a real disservice to the original poster who asked a legitimate question. there are pros and cons to everything. Not it everyone lives in your same world.

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Whether you have full leather or not, seats are always made of leather on 997's. So unless you wrap the seats in plastic wrap, anything wet on the seat will have the same effect as full or partial leather interior.
I'd never let my kid in my car if he was sopping wet - Use towels or something else to protect the seats.

IMHO, Full leather is so much nicer - I've had P-cars with full leather and without - Full leather is much nicer with wrapped dash, door panels/etc.
Gives the car a much richer feeling and smell!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:30 AM
matt997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll vote full leather simply because my car has that option. I love the stichings on the door panels, dash and other places. Gives my car a classy feel. I also don't think it's as fragile as some may think. My door panels have gotten wet and never left behind any water sports or other visible artifacts. I also drive around with my kids in the back often. And a full leather car does just fine at hpde events!

All that being said, full leather wasnt something I absolutely had to have when searching. Id have been happy with either but now I'm glad I've got it!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
Honestly, that is the most ridiculous statement I’ve heard on here in a while. Just right now I went out to my car to take my son to school, and we were hit by a surprise rainstorm. Life happens. What, would you leave your son hanging behind and make him walk home? Also, how would you get in the car if it rains on you while you’re walking out to it. Again, for posers, or if you just want garage Queens, you can have leather floor mats, like a Pagani. For people who daily drive their dream cars, it needs to be more durable. The leather on the tops of the doors for example is very fragile. I nicked my brand new leather interior with my watch less than a week after taking delivery. The standard leather interior is much more durable, it still looks great and the car smells wonderful because of all the leather used in the seats. It is ridiculous to suggest that people should only buy a 911 with a full leather interior. Most in fact not have a full leather interior for a reason. Also, if buying new, the price is insanely high and not anywhere near a reasonable value. It’s fine if you have a preference, but to make a blanket statement that all of a certain car must have a certain trim or they are not worthy, is just simply immature and does a real disservice to the original poster who asked a legitimate question. there are pros and cons to everything. Not it everyone lives in your same world.

LOL - I have leather floor mats too, in my 928, my 997, and my Cayenne. They've gotten wet, they've gotten muddy, they clean right up with a damp rag and then some leather conditioner. They're actually easier to care for than the carpeted ones in the other cars that hang onto the tiny granules or dirt and get stained by wet dirty shoes. In the 997 photo below, that was when we came back from Road Atlanta in the rain after walking around the gravel and grassy Porsheplatz area. They Cayenne dash top is huge and the leather makes a big difference in how that interior looks from the driver's seat. These cars are made to be used, but if properly cared for can still have very nice interiors that stay that way.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

I have natural full leather in my turbo and its wonderful...but I agree, you have to be much more careful. Its not a great option if you're throwing stuff in the car, kids/dogs/long-nailed wife, etc. For a daily car, standard interior is the right choice unless you're super careful. For a weekend car, hard not to enjoy the extra richness of the full leather.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:51 AM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

full leather interior is like a nicely tailored suit
myw (04-25-2020)
Old 09-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 189 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey is there any weight advantage either way? Just curious.

Quick Reply: Leather / Full-Leather