997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The big debate: sell the 997...?

Old 09-11-2018, 01:57 PM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

An IROC build would be nice. A set of Compomotives or BBS e50s will be my wheel of choice. You have a SC 3.0 engine which has decent power. You might get frustrated coming from a 997 on the power band. I was happy with my 3.2 power until the 997.2 came. I still drive the 3.2 to LA even without a decent ac. But if you can keep both, id say do it. I rent garages 3 miles apart so I can enjoy both.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:19 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More photos of this please?

Old 09-11-2018, 02:31 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Just buy one...

https://www.meritpartners.com/featur...oc-rsr-outlaw/
Old 09-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
On second thought, I think I could do this again. $174? Outrageous.

Makes the $119 PTS Turbo S look like a bargain.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:27 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
On second thought, I think I could do this again. $174? Outrageous.

Makes the $119 PTS Turbo S look like a bargain.
It's all about the details.

2 completely different 911's. Can't be a bargain if it's long gone.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:31 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Outlaw builds are tough on the wallet. Ask me how I know....

Old 09-11-2018, 08:44 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,412 Likes on 2,687 Posts

I miss my aircooled Porsche's but I really prefer the modern look of my 07 C4S and the ride.
997's are basically easy to find and not like the markets drying up like the aircooled cars so I'd sell the 997 and go for it.
You can always find another 997 when the time comes.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:55 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Gents - love the feedback. Always good advice. And Pete, based on your reaction I think you understand my dilemma :-)

As for the Miami blue '82 IROC build, here is the original build thread on Pelican and Youtube video. The guy did a great job.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...n-journey.html

Old 09-11-2018, 09:09 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Something else to consider...

I also live in the SF area and I would worry about the safety features of an old Air cooled 911. Don't get me wrong here, I love them and would love to have one but people around here drive like crap.
Yes, thats in my equation. I take the boys in the 997 3-4 times a week.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:12 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Option 1 or 3 IMO. If there's a major air-cooled itch to be scratched. Do it. Life's too short. I don't think I'd do #2, since I'm a "bird in the hand" kind of guy...T
Old 09-11-2018, 09:21 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
Oh, hell yea!

Impressive that it started up like that after not being run in 2 weeks and the body work looks well done. How was the fiberglass for the flares and bumpers bonded to the original metal fenders - cracking over time would be my only concern if not done well. When we did the widebody Cayenne, they bonded the flares using 3M Panelbond and also screwed through the inner wall of the flare, then plugged the access hole as part of doing the body work.

If all that car needs is interior and wiring work, as handy as you are, you can probably bang that out in 4-6 months while keeping your day job. It took me 6 months to take my 928 from this

If you decide to go for it, pull all that interior junk out and clean it really well, then coat it with something like Eastwood Rust Encapsulator paint which will neuatralize any surface rust and help prevent any new rust from forming. Then I'd recommend installing something like Dynamat or equivalent to help reduce general noise, which is what I also did.

If you decide to do it, that will be a really sweet car when you're done with it - I'd try to find a way to keep both, maybe with a lift, which would also give you a place to work on the project one.

Let me know if you have any questions on anything I did with my projects.

Pete

You are killing me. Amazing work on the Cayenne and 928!

The build thread shows the flares are welded. Do you really think 4-6 months just for interior and wiring alone? I was think my OCD could have the interior done in a month. Hes already got new seats, refinished gauges, carpet kit. Suspension and engine are the unknowns. I was hoping for a car like this you could drive it for a year before making a decision on what to do with the engine: rebuild, swap, etc.

On the slip side I also found a couple of track cars which have well sorted suspension and engines but have gutted interiors and need body work. Im just unsure how much work it will take getting a track car back to street legal.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:23 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by voodoo
Outlaw builds are tough on the wallet. Ask me how I know....

voodoo - wow, that looks amazing! interested to hear how long you've been working on it and the budget line items so far.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:29 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Gents - love the feedback. Always good advice. And Pete, based on your reaction I think you understand my dilemma :-)

As for the Miami blue '82 IROC build, here is the original build thread on Pelican and Youtube video. The guy did a great job.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...n-journey.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcj1HxAAsNI
It's funny. I saw this video last year and the first thing I thought to do was sell my C2S and pick up a roller to start a similar project. I say go for it!
Old 09-11-2018, 09:30 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
For some context, here is what I have been looking at...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4dQre6Xcc

And then turning it into an IROC build like this :-) My wife says im f'n crazy...

The Bruce... man, what a decision. I love me some air cooled as well. Only you can decide what you really want. To sell your 997 for an Air cooled. Man, I have had to pull that wild hair many times over the years!!! Almost pulled the trigger a couple times, but could not find "the one". The ones I test drove were not quite what I was looking for. You need to go out and drive some air cooled cars around. Rent one if you have to. Find a friend or some one local at your PCA club or "Turo" and offer them cash to rent their car for a day so you can drive it around your favorite roads and get to know it's mannerisms. Some would say... Never meet your heroes... The reality of living with less creature comforts, less power and handling, and the journey $$$ it will take may not meet all your expectations once finished. If you are OCD and **** like me, then nothing short of a singer quality may make you happy. Of course money can solve lots of problems.
If you are on a strict budget, then seriously consider the costs if you become frustrated with the project. Do a worse case scenario and get a quote from a shop you respect on what they would charge to finish the project and do it right.

In my retirement, many years away still, this is exactly the kind of project I would love to undertake. I plan on taking some engine rebuilding courses as well to fill my time and restore older porsches. I love to tinker, but just don't have the time to commit now as most of us work full time jobs.
If you have a pristine 997, then those may be hard to find later on if you change your mind. If you are ok with risk, then this sounds like a very interesting journey to take. Unfortunately I have found myself holding on too tight some times. Risk could be a whole lot of fun when done right ! Talk to many who have already completed your journey. Surround yourself with some "wise" advisers
Old 09-11-2018, 09:36 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Just got an email from the seller. He just got a deposit on it

Nice guy. Some additional comments from him:

The 3.0 and 915 is amazing fired right up no problem idles perfect and yes willl have zero issue with larger wheels
No those wheels and tires were not my favorite I dumped them after I had them for a week
I could have finished this car in 3 weekends on my own if I had the time. Putting in good 5 or 6 hour days - really not much left but assembly. This timeframe would have gotten me to a point that the car is street ready, lights gauges interior etc. I would allocate nights and weekends to tweak with little things as well.

This car is the perfect project to be honest, solid chassis all the hard work and expensive work was done and all it needs is the interior installed. I wasn't budgeting much at all to finish there really are only a few odds and ends it would need so maybe 1k or 1500 max in random lights gaskets etc.

I would be careful of the cars out there, these things shot up in value and a lot of guys are not trustworthy unfortunately and a lot of cars have shoddy work and or have been wrecked bad and brightened up with some lipstick.

Good luck in the search, if something falls through I will let you know.
On the bright side this puts me out of my misery for a little while.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The big debate: sell the 997...?