Sponsored by:

Hood scratch

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 08:12 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Hood scratch

I'm the recipient of a large scratch on the hood of my 997 thanks to some debris that flew up and hit me while driving down the freeway. I've had multiple people take a look at it and they all say it's body shop time. So... I got two estimates from two shops; one said not only does the hood need a respray, but so do the two front fenders in order to blend the paint properly. The other said that since the gaps between the 997's hood and fenders line up with the "humps" of the fenders, they create sight lines that effectively hide the variations in paint color between the resprayed hood and the original fenders.

My car is Arctic Silver.

The first shop's estimate is about 3X the price of the second. The second shop's estimate is less than the comprehensive deductible of my insurance policy (which is fairly high - $1000). Naturally I'm inclined to avoid making an insurance claim, even if it's comprehensive and not collision. Absolutely zero chance of a resale value killing negative carfax report with the second option. But will it look any good? Hence my dilemma...

Body shop #1 is a Porsche Approved collision repair center. Body shop #2 works closely with a well known Porsche indy mechanic in my area and also sponsors the local PCA chapter.

What would you do?
Old 08-10-2018, 08:24 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Sorry to hear, it's no fun to have that happen.
Options:
- sell and buy turbo
- if planning on keeping car long time, see if can get eyes on #2 work on a few cars. If looks good do it. By time sell car won't be an issue. Except to some **** purist who won't want it anyway cause you actually drove it and put miles on it.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 PM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

92U , Artic silver is one of the eastest silvers to match. Most of the time when a shop wants to refinish additional panels its just to increase the bottom line.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:40 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy a used hood? Sounds silly, but if you can put eyes on a good one, it will probably be cheaper. I searched long an hard for a TT tail until I found one in the same color as the car. Worked out beautiful.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:44 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

I have a fantasy of getting a GT2 CF hood but that will probably never happen.
All fantasy of GT3/GT2 hoods aside, as someone who grew up around body shops, I would go with the cheaper indie recommended shop. The reason why is because you will just need to repaint it within 5 years anyways if you drive it a lot (esp. canyon driving with friends or tracking).
Old 08-10-2018, 10:15 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

avoid somebody that says I will blend into the fenders. First choice, no options. He isnt even going to try to match the paint. He doesnt care if it matches the rest of the car, he is going to make it seem like it matches. Go to as many shops untill you find one that says they are going to paint the hood, and make it matchThere are plenty of good shops that know what they are doing. Ask porsche or mercedes dealers, or exotic dealers like ferrari, lambro, rolls, etc
Old 08-10-2018, 10:21 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

^^^ that is a good point. Also, something your post made me think of, is when my mom had a shop, they were servicing a few dealers. I would guess that your local porsche dealer may have a body shop that they go though that can offer the same high level of service you would expect from OEM. I never wrap my front end and I have tracked a few cars. I just consider repainting parts of the front as maintenance. It is arguable between the whole wrap/clearbra stuff and just repainting every few years. In any case, I agree with okbarnett.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:16 AM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm leaning towards Shop #2 for all the reasons stated above. My car is in really great shape (otherwise) but it's definitely not a museum piece. It's a driver.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:53 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
avoid somebody that says I will blend into the fenders. First choice, no options. He isnt even going to try to match the paint. He doesnt care if it matches the rest of the car, he is going to make it seem like it matches. Go to as many shops untill you find one that says they are going to paint the hood, and make it matchThere are plenty of good shops that know what they are doing. Ask porsche or mercedes dealers, or exotic dealers like ferrari, lambro, rolls, etc
This ^^^. I dropped a garden tool on the hood of my -06 C4S. Took it to one of the premium body shops in town where they fixed the dent and painted the hood for $600. (almost 10 years ago though). No mention of blending into the fenders. Repair was undetectable. Or at least good enough where the Porsche dealer that took the car in as a trade didn't even mention it. The "blend into the fenders" guy sounds like someone trying make a small job bigger than it has to be imo.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Option 2, just the hood. A good shop can match the color. Leave as much of the original paint as original (fenders and bumper) which a blend won't do.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:40 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Definitely find another shop that guarantees a perfect color match with no blending. My experience is that this is a standard that a high quality body can and does adhere to, especially on a Porsche.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:30 PM
NC3Pedal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

In a previous Porsche that needed a hood respray the authorized Porsche body shop insisted that the fenders needed to be feathered in. I reluctantly agreed and they were finished , the car looked great as if it was never repainted
Old 08-11-2018, 05:33 PM
NC3Pedal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

"When they were finished" I need to turn off the crazy spell check!
Old 08-11-2018, 06:36 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

I know how annoyed by dents and scratches can be. So you need a mind set change. Every day wake up and look at the scratch, see it clearly, and call it experience. Then put a thick coat of wax on so it does not rust. Ok. So the hood may be aluminum. Anyway.

To me a perfect 911 is not the same as a dirty/driven 911
Old 08-11-2018, 11:12 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

if you have a scratch somewhere in the middle of the hood, they will probably fix and spot the paint ONLY around the fix, not put paint over the whole hood. they will blend with in the panel. That leaves the original paint out at all the meeting edges of the panel. Thats what I would do, and thats what a shop would do when possible. Not just say they were intending to go to adjacent panels for no reason.

Quick Reply: Hood scratch