Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Light Upgrades - 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018 | 03:30 PM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Post LED Light Upgrades - 997.1

Thinking about upgrading my tail lights to LED and am curious if you guys have any thoughts on the good, bad and ugly of doing so? I did a search and saw some links, but no write ups / commentary though I am admittedly tech challenged. Also, should I smoke them out with tint or not?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Option 1
https://www.ebay.com/i/120717744026?chn=ps

Option 2 - A close 2nd
https://www.protuninglab.com/alt-on-p99705-led-rc.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=140849294458&gclid= CjwKCAjwjZjZBRAZEiwAPeLSK6YNgXv4bFjXjyqBrxnU-B6YZMZhbs-vK-mzzpVcp005wKBV5kgMVBoCkrcQAvD_BwE

Option 3 - Current Fav
http://www.redline360.com/spec-d-tai...xoCyqEQAvD_BwE

Rear view

Front view
Old 06-17-2018 | 04:35 PM
MkC2S
Drifting

My 1st LED's was the DEPO, dumped that cuz I don't want a 997.2 wanna be. Then bought the option 1 in smoked. It looked too dark & didn't pass state inspection. Dump that too. I have option 3 for a yr now & no problem what so ever. It's 1 plug & play unlike the other 2, you have to plug in the incandescent bulb for the fog light. The red/clear will look best on your red car IMO.

blinkers

brakes

foglight & park lights (surround light bar)

park lights & night (pic look orange but they're red in person)
Old 06-17-2018 | 09:30 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Go all red tails. I find them much cleaner than any other solution out there. Can get them on suncoast for ~$500.

If set on LED here is my favorite one, reasonable priced too. Link
Old 06-17-2018 | 11:38 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

One thing I will say from watching other people mod tail lights and head lights is NEVER GET RID OF THE STOCK ONES NO MATTER WHAT!! All these aftermarket ones (and even the 997.2 ones) will look dated in time IMO. I especially feel this way after having everyone poo poo in their pantalones when I first had my B8 Avant with the Audi LED DRL headlights. 5 years later, I felt they looked dated and I was looking for a way to just turn off the LED DRLs or get upgraded ones but with my 997.1, it doesn't have that stuff, so I won't be chasing the dragon each time new LED lights come out and make the old ones look...old. I AM FREE NOW!! Haha. ...but seriously, IMO, do not mod or get rid of your stockers!!
Old 06-18-2018 | 12:01 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kellen
Go all red tails. I find them much cleaner than any other solution out there. Can get them on suncoast for ~$500.
My preference as well for the 997.1
Old 06-18-2018 | 07:19 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Originally Posted by jamesinger
One thing I will say from watching other people mod tail lights and head lights is NEVER GET RID OF THE STOCK ONES NO MATTER WHAT!! All these aftermarket ones (and even the 997.2 ones) will look dated in time IMO. I especially feel this way after having everyone poo poo in their pantalones when I first had my B8 Avant with the Audi LED DRL headlights. 5 years later, I felt they looked dated and I was looking for a way to just turn off the LED DRLs or get upgraded ones but with my 997.1, it doesn't have that stuff, so I won't be chasing the dragon each time new LED lights come out and make the old ones look...old. I AM FREE NOW!! Haha. ...but seriously, IMO, do not mod or get rid of your stockers!!
Glad I kept mine. I was on the fence when I went Depo and after a year or so I thought they looked a little cheap so went back to the factory look.
That said, I still have the Depo tails plus eBay LED fronts, if anyone is interested in buying the setup. The catch is I sold the Depo lights once and in shipping the pointed section of the light broke off (w/refund to buyer). It could be repaired easily for a good way to get the LED look. Make offers!
Old 06-18-2018 | 10:04 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

regarding the Spec-D Redline 360 options, what is the difference between the chrome/clear and the chrome/red? Hard to see. I've got an artic silver car.
Old 06-18-2018 | 10:12 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MkC2S
My 1st LED's was the DEPO, dumped that cuz I don't want a 997.2 wanna be. Then bought the option 1 in smoked. It looked too dark & didn't pass state inspection. Dump that too. I have option 3 for a yr now & no problem what so ever. It's 1 plug & play unlike the other 2, you have to plug in the incandescent bulb for the fog light. The red/clear will look best on your red car IMO.

blinkers

brakes

foglight & park lights (surround light bar)

park lights & night (pic look orange but they're red in person)
Which version do you have color wise?
Old 06-19-2018 | 01:05 AM
shrumdog
Intermediate

Default smoked are best

Easy plug and play think the brand same as blue 997 above for tails. Ebay user as well. Got sidemarkers in smoke as well but went clear sequential for front DRLs from Ebay fishcakes or something. Think I mentioned in link couple months back. I really like this mod. Did interiors as well. Ups Motorsports has a kit just don’t drop the old bulb in the engine like an idiot like me.
Attached Files
Old 06-19-2018 | 02:05 AM
MkC2S
Drifting

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Which version do you have color wise?
I got the red/clear (below)

I think this is the chrome/clear you're referring to. (outer chrome / white-ish surrounding bar)
Old 06-21-2018 | 11:47 PM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Originally Posted by jamesinger
Agreed - not only is there a certain beauty in keeping with the time appropriate OEM look and the purist in me knows I won’t always want todays look. Few new technologies make me want for a new car, still love mine after 7+ years, except for the clean LED look of the 991’s so this was something to hold me over until I finally pull the trigger on a newer model.
Old 06-21-2018 | 11:54 PM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments everyone. I found these and pulled the trigger installing them tonight (though still like many of the ones you all shared too). So far I like everything about them except they are a few shades too dark for me. They look great when the lights are on and the dark tint is a nice compliment to my dark glass tint, but still think I may want to be able to see the inside of the assembly like you can on the 991’s. Also they clearly aren’t OEM and that is bugging the purist in me.

Whether I keep these or swap for one of the other sets is not certain, but I love the fact that for a few hundred dollars and 20 min of time I can change and update the look of the car.

Which brand do you guys think is the closest look to the 991 assembly?

Old 06-22-2018 | 12:02 AM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Here’s a video with the lights installed and being tested parked and then at speed...

Old 06-22-2018 | 12:47 AM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Yes, now that I have done the rear, the fronts are following soon and so far the ones you posted are my fav too. Thanks
Old 06-22-2018 | 12:49 AM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Oops, I still haven’t figured out which quotes to click to properly reply, meant this for Shrumdog:

Interior?? Do tell..

Quick Reply: LED Light Upgrades - 997.1