Sponsored by:

Noisy valve lifters 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 06:35 AM
318touring
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Noisy valve lifters 997.2

Got the Porsche dealer to identify ticking sound (loudest on the left) when it's warm and idling.

They identified noisy valve lifters on both cylinder banks. Recommended oil and filter change as the first step otherwise engine out to replace these lifters. They said it's not going to cause any harm to the engine. Just nosiy.

Anyone out there has any experience with this, or similar experience?

Car has 52xxx kms on the clock.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Barry Gibbs
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add some BG Products MOA to fresh oil. We used it a number of times when I owned my shop and it works. It’s not an overnight fix. Give it time to work.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Not me..... 2009 C2s 125K miles.

Something to consider.... I think these engines are just plain noisy. Mine tinks, rattles..... maybe those words are too strong, but it always worried me a bit all through my 100K miles of ownership. So I had a thocking/ticking noise that was new and came on this winter as the engine was warming up... full warm didn't hear it... full cold, quiet.... slight throttle it went a way...... it went away after a few weeks, now I am hearing a slight squealing under load shifting turns.. so I am starting to think it is a pulley or the tensioner. Anywho....... I drove the car up to the dealer to see if they could tell me anything adn of course it was fully warm and not making that noise... still made all its other charming ticks and tocks ..... in short, they are clueless. Just clueless.

We puled the car into the service bay, a tech plugged in the computer...... nothing.... together they looked at me and said it may have been some misfires from a bad ignition coil...... but then they said that should have set a code... then they said the computer has to get a certain number within a number of cycles before it ... they have no clue. I was hoping that they would know the "5" reasons these things make noise but nothing.... oh they did point to one of my ticks as the fuel injection system but I already knew that on.

Personally, I would wait until it got worse or something else happens before I would tear that engine down.... it may not be the lifters.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-11-2018, 12:29 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have some experience with these engines. one thing to check, especially if you recently had a belt change is that the belt tensioner bolt is a terrible design. I believe they actually redesigned it later and you can now get the updated version. The bolt sinches on the tensioner, if it is loose it causes a knocking sound similar to a bad bearing, rod knock or scored cylinder. It is quite disheartening, but a terribly easy fix with a stubby torx (or allen, can't remember). Also the belt tensioner shock absorber/tensioner can leak fluid and bounce around a bit. Another option is the high pressure fuel pump, it is located on the left side of the engine on the 997.2 at the rear most corner. These make a rhythmic "tap" or some such noise. There is also an emissions valve that can make a noise as well on the left side. All of these should have been checked by the Porsche dealer, but doesn't surprise me in the least that they didn't 1. know to check, 2. even bothered to check beyond checking their PIWIS. It is disheartening when I walk into the dealership, I tell them what's wrong, they check, they say nothing is wrong, then I replace what I told them was wrong and it fixes the problem. Happened on at least two occasions.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:42 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how anyone hears anything over the noise of the power steering pump and the cam drives.

Anywho, DI engines across the industry make all kinds of weird racket, I wouldn't worry about anything until it is obvious something is actually wrong.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:14 PM
318touring
Pro

Thanks for responding in this thread.

Add some BG Products MOA to fresh oil. We used it a number of times when I owned my shop and it works. It’s not an overnight fix. Give it time to work.
I'm thinking that this is something it might benefit from.

Personally, I would wait until it got worse or something else happens before I would tear that engine down.... it may not be the lifters.
... they didn't 1. know to check, 2. even bothered to check beyond checking their PIWIS.
Exactly, it feels that way especially they charged me around an hour labour to investigate. How long does it take to drive the car to the ramp, raise it, listen, and put it back in the parking lot

Potentially the all the moving parts for the belt could also contribute to the characteristics of this engine.

I'm wondering though what makes the lifter to start chattering as surely the engine didn't sound like this when it left the factory?

BTW this is a 2010 C2.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
I have some experience with these engines. one thing to check, especially if you recently had a belt change is that the belt tensioner bolt is a terrible design. I believe they actually redesigned it later and you can now get the updated version. The bolt sinches on the tensioner, if it is loose it causes a knocking sound similar to a bad bearing, rod knock or scored cylinder. It is quite disheartening, but a terribly easy fix with a stubby torx (or allen, can't remember). Also the belt tensioner shock absorber/tensioner can leak fluid and bounce around a bit. Another option is the high pressure fuel pump, it is located on the left side of the engine on the 997.2 at the rear most corner. These make a rhythmic "tap" or some such noise. There is also an emissions valve that can make a noise as well on the left side. All of these should have been checked by the Porsche dealer, but doesn't surprise me in the least that they didn't 1. know to check, 2. even bothered to check beyond checking their PIWIS. It is disheartening when I walk into the dealership, I tell them what's wrong, they check, they say nothing is wrong, then I replace what I told them was wrong and it fixes the problem. Happened on at least two occasions.
Thanx!! I will check the tensioner out this weekend.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-11-2018, 10:08 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 318touring
Got the Porsche dealer to identify ticking sound (loudest on the left) when it's warm and idling.

They identified noisy valve lifters on both cylinder banks. Recommended oil and filter change as the first step otherwise engine out to replace these lifters. They said it's not going to cause any harm to the engine. Just nosiy.

Anyone out there has any experience with this, or similar experience?

Car has 52xxx kms on the clock.
Raising B.S. flag on “noisy lifters.” This is a DI engine with very high fuel pressure. My opinion is that the ticking noise you’re hearing is normal actuation of the fuel injectors. Also the engine-driven HP fuel pump is on left rear of the engine, so that could be a contributor. I’ve noticed my ‘09 engine is a little noisy, especially until fully warmed-up. I’m easy on the throttle until I see adequate oil temp, then give ‘er the beans. Love it.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

If you're running 0W/40 oil switch to 5W/40. Motul excess 8100 if you're under factory warranty and need Porsche A40 approval or Joe Gibbs Racing DT40 if you're not and want the higher Zinc and Phosphorous levels that protect the valve train.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

I would be cautious about replacing the lifters. You could go through all that trouble and it might not be the lifters.

There are a lot of things that can make these engines noisy. Including catalytic converters, hoses, loose spark plugs.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:16 PM
318touring
Pro

If you're running 0W/40 oil switch to 5W/40. Motul excess 8100 if you're under factory warranty and need Porsche A40 approval or Joe Gibbs Racing DT40 if you're not and want the higher Zinc and Phosphorous levels that protect the valve train.
It's on Mobil 1 5W50 diet currently

I would be cautious about replacing the lifters. You could go through all that trouble and it might not be the lifters.
At least the dealer has suggested an oil change first before starting to look at the lifters. Which is a good thing.

Quick Reply: Noisy valve lifters 997.2