Sponsored by:

What's this 2008 Carrera M/T worth ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 04:15 AM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
This forum is littered with people who seem to make full time work out of analyzing pricing of these cars. For some they never seem to get cheap enough and they just keep dreaming and driving their old bimmer or whatever is in the garage. Same issue discussed in this current thread and countless others in the past: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ta-is-10k.html

To each their own but I just can't think that way. Life is short and full of unexpected events. With that in mind I'll gladly pay reasonable market price for a clean car I really want rather than spending months on end depriving myself of the excitement of owning that car, creating spread sheets and other statistics hoping to save $1,500.
Sounds like someone may have spent a wee bit too much time in this forum... time to log out and go for a spirited drive

I looked at many 997 and just shrugged... meh. One Saturday morning a local dealer posted a white C2 6MT. Not exactly high on my must have list. I made the drive over since it was local, why not? The car looked great, 20" Ultraleggeras, Techart 1" drop, Fister-style bypasses. When I opened the driver door and looked inside I knew it was the one. Turned the key and the exhaust note sealed the deal. I have never regretted the months spent searching to find a car that I actually wanted.

FYI: PPI contingency on a clean, low mileage 997 might not be available in your town. In my neighborhood nice 997 get shipped out on a daily basis to buyers sight unseen--hard to complete with buyers like that! I offered to pre-pay for the car, in full, in exchange for 48 hours to arrange for a PPI. No deal, I was surprised. Turns out they have buyers that don't care about PPI. Luckily I found a P-car indy/race shop that agreed to do a PPI early Monday morning on short notice. Your market may be different... but I really don't know why it would be with the interwebs and all. I suggest you:

1) Find the car you actually want--not one that your P-car "advisors" tell you to buy
2) Buy it before not-you does

NOTE: When I notice an "S" with stock exhaust, stock ride height, and lobster or sport wheels I think they would have been better off to get a base with benefits. That's me.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:13 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Views vary on this subject but my hesitation stems from something Bruce wrote "when you buy the car you're also buyng the owner so if you don't like the owner walk away"

Well this car was auctioned last and while I haven't formed an opinion on the sales team I would prefer to know the owner. AFAIK - there's no history on the car, receipts, etc other than a carfax. Late yesterday afternoon, I asked the salesman to look through the car and see if he could find anything to help identify the history on the car - mainly was the clutch replaced recently ?

While it's partially the cost of a new clutch - several things hold me back about this car. Mainly miles, slippage in buying from a 1000 miles away (both financial and leverage) and that I can easily afford a .2 (about 2 weeks of income covers the delta).

I've narrowed things down over time and from what I've learned in the forums have made several changes and am more open to more compromises on what's a must have and what's a meh. (and thank you to everyone that's help with that along the way, I sincerely appreciate your experience and willingness to share it with others)

On Monday, I am going to lay out some terms to the sellers and if accepted and pay for a fault check and over rev report only ($150) from a near by Porsche dealer.

Not sure if this is a sign of how I really feel but if I am honest with myself I am hoping for a tragically abusive over rev report (perhaps from the kids that shuttle cars at the auction) so I can mentally and emotionally scratch this one off the list. (It's no worse than the wasted dinner and drinks dating expense I've used 100s of times to scratch a good looking woman with what turns out to be a bad personality until I found the right one).

If the fault check / over rev report is satisfactory then I am willing to pay the extra $300 for PPI and negotiate the final price with the seller. They don't boroscope or leakdown test but being a 3.6 it's probably not as risky as a 3.8. (at least that's my current best understanding)

One last element causing some hesitation is I have also found a gen 2 with 25k less miles, and a few compromises from my wish list that I believe can be had for $42-44. But still not the perfect car that I plan on keeping for the long term.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:37 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
This forum is littered with people who seem to make full time work out of analyzing pricing of these cars. For some they never seem to get cheap enough and they just keep dreaming and driving their old bimmer or whatever is in the garage. Same issue discussed in this current thread and countless others in the past: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ta-is-10k.html

To each their own but I just can't think that way. Life is short and full of unexpected events. With that in mind I'll gladly pay reasonable market price for a clean car I really want rather than spending months on end depriving myself of the excitement of owning that car, creating spread sheets and other statistics hoping to save $1,500.
this X 997!
Old 04-28-2018, 04:27 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88

While it's partially the cost of a new clutch - several things hold me back about this car. Mainly miles, slippage in buying from a 1000 miles away (both financial and leverage) and that I can easily afford a .2 (about 2 weeks of income covers the delta).
Call me crazy, but if I was netting $5k every 2 weeks, I'd be looking for a lot better car!

I know you have said repeatedly that you would be happy with 345 hp, but believe me, the performance is intoxicating... if you don't want more you ain't human!
Old 04-28-2018, 07:57 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Balr14
Call me crazy, but if I was netting $5k every 2 weeks, I'd be looking for a lot better car!

I know you have said repeatedly that you would be happy with 345 hp, but believe me, the performance is intoxicating... if you don't want more you ain't human!
I am not the traditional car guy - if I was I would have had this car decades ago. The most I've spent on a car is 2012 Prius that was 2 yrs old at the time. I've spent tons of money on clothes, travel, wine, photography, etc. Ready for the car now.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:45 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I get that you are a very frugal guy when it comes to cars. But, you buy a Porsche because you want one and can afford one; there's nothing practical or frugal about it. So find the 997.2S you really want and bite the bullet. You won't regret it.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:27 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

The base vs S decision is really the toughest one. The 997.1 vs 997.2 isn't even worth a discussion now that the cars are older and depreciated (get a 997.2).

Why stop at an S, may as well get a GT3 and why settle for that pos when there's the RS. Heck, one could argue that the GT3 and RS will appreciate. If I lived in a place without absurd property tax that's the route I'd go.

Seriously though. The base has plenty of power. Kinda depends what your coming from and what your used to. If I want to scare myself silly, that's what motorcycles are for.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:14 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by j beede
Sounds like someone may have spent a wee bit too much time in this forum... time to log out and go for a spirited drive

I looked at many 997 and just shrugged... meh. One Saturday morning a local dealer posted a white C2 6MT. Not exactly high on my must have list. I made the drive over since it was local, why not? The car looked great, 20" Ultraleggeras, Techart 1" drop, Fister-style bypasses. When I opened the driver door and looked inside I knew it was the one. Turned the key and the exhaust note sealed the deal. I have never regretted the months spent searching to find a car that I actually wanted.

FYI: PPI contingency on a clean, low mileage 997 might not be available in your town. In my neighborhood nice 997 get shipped out on a daily basis to buyers sight unseen--hard to complete with buyers like that! I offered to pre-pay for the car, in full, in exchange for 48 hours to arrange for a PPI. No deal, I was surprised. Turns out they have buyers that don't care about PPI. Luckily I found a P-car indy/race shop that agreed to do a PPI early Monday morning on short notice. Your market may be different... but I really don't know why it would be with the interwebs and all. I suggest you:

1) Find the car you actually want--not one that your P-car "advisors" tell you to buy
2) Buy it before not-you does

NOTE: When I notice an "S" with stock exhaust, stock ride height, and lobster or sport wheels I think they would have been better off to get a base with benefits. That's me.
Was this really meant to be a response to me? Just curious since you're giving me advice on issues we're already in full agreement on. Besides, I'm not currently in the market to buy so was your response perhaps supposed to be directed at someone else?
Old 04-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I get that you are a very frugal guy when it comes to cars. But, you buy a Porsche because you want one and can afford one; there's nothing practical or frugal about it. So find the 997.2S you really want and bite the bullet. You won't regret it.
This times 10

Exactly, I was bored with 385hp in less than a week after purchase.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

The forum swayed me to hold out and wait for the right car based on my preferences. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:16 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by j beede
LOL You probably won't like my pristine 100% stock C2S. I do. But that's just me.

Quick Reply: What's this 2008 Carrera M/T worth ?