Sponsored by:

RE71’s on oem 18’s

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:53 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE71’s on oem 18’s

Picking up my new to me 997.2 c2 Friday, but unfortunately it has all season DWS’s ... ugh!

I’ve been happy with the RE71’s, just actually got 3 sets for an endurance race for my race car, and running them on my old DD.

Looking on tire rack it seems they don’t have them for the OEM 18’s. Any ideas? I see they have an 18 35 265, anyone run those? Fronts seems like they have OEM size.

Update: I see nt01’s come in stock size so may go that route.

Curious to see how base passive shocks are with an aggressive street tire. I’m not planning to tracking the car, but do want good handling for the street. Probably going way overboard given how much you can actually push a car on the street anyhow.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:14 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Keep in mind that the RE71 is not a good track tire competition wise. You will not be cometitive on that tire. Its not an r-compound. Its also a very unpleasant daily driver compound. They are LOUD as all hell. Louder than R888s. That said they are an awesome "dual purpose" tire for some non competitive HPDE lap days and street driving where you do not encounter standing water or freezing temperatures. Totally up to you but if this is not a track car for you there are better options IMO.

And I run them on my S5. Helped me be able to cut 1.5x 60fts and run 3.2s 0-60 and 11.4 sec 1/4 on a car with only 500hp..

Old 05-02-2018, 09:52 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Keep in mind that the RE71 is not a good track tire competition wise. You will not be cometitive on that tire. Its not an r-compound. Its also a very unpleasant daily driver compound. They are LOUD as all hell. Louder than R888s. That said they are an awesome "dual purpose" tire for some non competitive HPDE lap days and street driving where you do not encounter standing water or freezing temperatures. Totally up to you but if this is not a track car for you there are better options IMO.

And I run them on my S5. Helped me be able to cut 1.5x 60fts and run 3.2s 0-60 and 11.4 sec 1/4 on a car with only 500hp..

This race is with AER which requires street tires to save on cost. My car and shocks are setup and valves for R7’s but we’ve actually looked at data and for a street tire the re71’s have similar characteristics.

But back to topic, the 911 isn’t seeing the track at all, unless for some reason I have to instruct and my race cars not running.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:25 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Right on brother. Theyre a grippy tire for sure but if not tracking i'd do anything from a V12 Evo2 to a MPS4S. The added money you spend on a PS4S will be recouped in the treadlife and the treadlife warranty. If you wear them out early you basically get a 2nd set of tires half off. I would have never recommended a Hankook either until I tried these V12s that happened to come brand new on my car when I bought it. I went in with negative bias basically looking for any reason to replace them and so far they are actually a really decent tire. Theyre quiet and I have never had a problem with grip at all. I'm actually shocked how well they are performing.

Mike
Old 05-02-2018, 04:25 PM
racer5j
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a 265/35-18 re71r on the front. I also run an 18x9 front wheel. The ride height is set very low but I only get minor rubbing on the fender liner at full compression.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:51 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 997.2 C2S needed new tires and I plan a couple of track weekends. I debated the RE71, AD08R and PS4S. Settled on the PS4S as I cannot find a bad review and they will be a better tire for 80+% of my driving. Not the best track tire, but good enough for my lower green/blue driving.

Costco has 70 bucks off and 1 cent installation which makes it cost neutral or even a bit less than the others I was considering.

Quick Reply: RE71’s on oem 18’s