Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's this 2008 Carrera M/T worth ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 05:37 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What's this 2008 Carrera M/T worth ?

As part of my education I wanted to get a sanity check on this car. It's the 325hp 3.6 997.1, 6 sp - its in the colors I prefer but the mileage is little high @ 68k - I suspect a new clutch will be needed soon. Price as if there were no error codes and a kosher over rev and PPI report.

Thanks everyone.

PS - can anyone that has a working VIN link get this to work and post in the thread ? I have Firefox, cleared cookies and tried IE but still can't get it to work. TIA

https://admin.porschedealer.com/repo...AA29938S711156

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=&newSearchFro mOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper. selectedEntity=c15279&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c22961&zip=7 5075&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&transmission=M&showNegotiable=fal se&hideFrameDamaged=true&hideSalvage=true&bodyTypeGroupIds=0&maxPrice=52 000&maxMileage=80000&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=203 261888

Old 04-26-2018, 06:15 PM
wportervt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-26-2018, 07:04 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Thank you. So nearly nothing. A bare bones Carrera.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:05 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

Hrmm. Lemme think. Given all your prior posts, I'm going to guess that the price point is above what you think is a fair price.

All joking aside, for an '08 with those miles I'd be looking at about $35k-$37k but then again I haven't been researching the market that closely.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:32 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

OK, I see the Ask price of $35k. To me it looks like a really nice car for the mileage. Don’t sweat that it’s a base Carrera - it’s got all the power you need. ‘Sides, if you really have to have more power if you buy it right you should be able to trade up later with neglible pain. Here’s two things I found helpful in my hunt: 1) 2017-2018 Buyer’s Guide from Excellence Magazine, and 2) PCA “Test Drive” 6 month membership that gives contact access to member ads.

Last edited by swingwing; 04-27-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Changed wording.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:31 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by swingwing
if you buy it right you should be able to trade up later with neglible pain.
Several people in Rennlist and the market appears very soft for red interiors, I've seen several cars with red full leather interiors 4 months + for sale. This is a consideration for upgrading and resell later even if unplanned.

The guys at RAC tell me white cars with normal colors sell in hours and that a lot of buyers don't like silver. I guess I am old fashioned.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:24 AM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I like that car at 35.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:46 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

I agree in a principle except when looking at Swingwing's 997.2 with only 32k miles bought for $42 - this car doesn't merit that price IMHO unless that's the 'all in price'

30,000 extra miles @2500 per ($7500), better engine, more like a 2008 S in specs (hp, brakes, etc) that's got to be worth $5-7k - so reversing down from Swingwing - this car should be at $28-30k which is what they probably paid at auction. Motor Trend states the same. (2007 so close enough)

With a little discount, a new clutch at sellers expense, and reducing these insanely excessive document fees of $699 (apparently a Florida grift) - the all in should be $35k. All based on a successful over rev report and PPI.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:50 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

This is for a 2007 but hand grenade close enough for me - same car essentiall
Old 04-27-2018, 12:29 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone guilty of running an excel spreadsheet with average miles, sales prices, days listed ect, let me tell you that ultimately while that data is helpful in recognizing value in the market, ultimately the decision to buy needs to be significantly emotional. If you get that feeling when you see the car that this is what you want to drive, you need to be reasonably willing to throw caution to the wind because the market can change in a hurry, and by the time you find something that close to what you want again, the winds may have shifted. This happened to me years ago on a 944. I always wanted a 944, they were dirt cheap, I didn't have a lot of excess money at the time, and I passed on a beautiful 944 S2. By the time I got back to looking a couple years later under 100k mi 944S2 were going for double the one I passed on!

This actually led me to discover how much the market had bottomed out on 997s. So I started bidding on an 06' 997 on Bring a Trailer earlier this year and let it go for a couple thousand more than my "gut" budget (pre-research), and just a few hundred more than a last minute bid I almost placed. It wasn't the perfect car for me, but I have taken several longer car trips since and I know I would have learned more about the cars by having one and enjoying it than making spreadsheets about it. Such is life!

Last thing I will say is I am personally done with this attitude of buying a car based on what the next guy will pay for it, sure we all dream of at least breaking even on our purchase costs, but ultimately it is a hobby and those cost money. People don't have any problem throwing big dollars down on golf and other hobbies with no residual value at all. So try and remember the joy of what you are looking to buy. If we were all a little less afraid to buy what WE are going to enjoy the car world would be a little more interesting.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:38 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say if you like that color combo, make them an offer contingent upon PPI results. Looks really nice. Start negotiation with the potential for short-term maintenance in mind, as you say. Clutch may or may not be needed soon. I'd make all offers "out the door". As someone said above, that's all that matters. If they wish to account for $699 dealer fee or whatever on the paperwork, fine, as long as the net price is favorable in your view.

As an aside, looks like that car has been for sale for about a month - not exactly flying out the door. I find that a little odd for a manual coupe with those miles with $35K starting point. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but could be others have passed on it for one reason or another. This is where you have to balance doing your homework to the extent possible (PPI) while not hesitating unnecessarily - that is, if you're serious about the car.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:42 PM
sailorlite
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you see an S version on the street would you wish you'd waited to buy one rather than a non-S? In my case, I knew I'd wind up looking for an S - so I waited until I found one. But I do really like the red/silver combination.

Last edited by sailorlite; 04-28-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:10 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Always - thanks - good points.

Sailor - maybe post purchase regret with the S but I would be OK with a .2 and 345 and the rock solid engine rep.

I am going to pay for an over rev report and based on that being acceptable get the PPI. I will have a set all in price with the dealer when I go to negotiate.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:57 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by HiAperture
As someone guilty of running an excel spreadsheet with average miles, sales prices, days listed ect, let me tell you that ultimately while that data is helpful in recognizing value in the market, ultimately the decision to buy needs to be significantly emotional. If you get that feeling when you see the car that this is what you want to drive, you need to be reasonably willing to throw caution to the wind because the market can change in a hurry, and by the time you find something that close to what you want again, the winds may have shifted. This happened to me years ago on a 944. I always wanted a 944, they were dirt cheap, I didn't have a lot of excess money at the time, and I passed on a beautiful 944 S2. By the time I got back to looking a couple years later under 100k mi 944S2 were going for double the one I passed on!

This actually led me to discover how much the market had bottomed out on 997s. So I started bidding on an 06' 997 on Bring a Trailer earlier this year and let it go for a couple thousand more than my "gut" budget (pre-research), and just a few hundred more than a last minute bid I almost placed. It wasn't the perfect car for me, but I have taken several longer car trips since and I know I would have learned more about the cars by having one and enjoying it than making spreadsheets about it. Such is life!

Last thing I will say is I am personally done with this attitude of buying a car based on what the next guy will pay for it, sure we all dream of at least breaking even on our purchase costs, but ultimately it is a hobby and those cost money. People don't have any problem throwing big dollars down on golf and other hobbies with no residual value at all. So try and remember the joy of what you are looking to buy. If we were all a little less afraid to buy what WE are going to enjoy the car world would be a little more interesting.
This forum is littered with people who seem to make full time work out of analyzing pricing of these cars. For some they never seem to get cheap enough and they just keep dreaming and driving their old bimmer or whatever is in the garage. Same issue discussed in this current thread and countless others in the past: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ta-is-10k.html

To each their own but I just can't think that way. Life is short and full of unexpected events. With that in mind I'll gladly pay reasonable market price for a clean car I really want rather than spending months on end depriving myself of the excitement of owning that car, creating spread sheets and other statistics hoping to save $1,500.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:33 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just guessing, but I think it's the thrill of the chase and/or participating in a community virtually on the 'net via forums.

I get the engineer-analisys mentality and analyse the crap out or everything myself, but it seems like recently a lot folks who would like to own a 997 or other can't justify, may be stretching or just don't want the dream to end.

Read, learn and balance your wants / needs with your budget. It's only a car.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
This forum is littered with people who seem to make full time work out of analyzing pricing of these cars. For some they never seem to get cheap enough and they just keep dreaming and driving their old bimmer or whatever is in the garage. Same issue discussed in this current thread and countless others in the past: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ta-is-10k.html

To each their own but I just can't think that way. Life is short and full of unexpected events. With that in mind I'll gladly pay reasonable market price for a clean car I really want rather than spending months on end depriving myself of the excitement of owning that car, creating spread sheets and other statistics hoping to save $1,500.

Quick Reply: What's this 2008 Carrera M/T worth ?