Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need guidance: his and Hers 997.2? Or....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018 | 05:11 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Default Need guidance: his and Hers 997.2? Or....

OK, here is the dilemma: I picked up a super clean 997.2 C2S here on the forums 2 months ago; a legit 9.9/10, 20k mile car with all records and PDK. Then last week, a local C4S 997.2 6MT dropped into my lap. It was cheaper, had 50k miles, but all service records, super build, and was very very clean and well cared for given the age and mileage. Given what I had paid on both cars, I figured I would drive both and sell the one I didn't like as much....therein lies the dilemma. Both are outstanding. The C2S has a lighter feel and the PDK and feels quicker. The C4S is more buttoned down and a manual, different in character. My wife suggests we keep both, and I tend to want to agree, as these cars aren't losing much in value, and neither is likely to be a major maintenance headache anytime soon. We both have DD's but would love to not fight over who gets the 911.

With that said, there is a gorgeous Cayman GTS for sale fairly close by, and thinking of pairing that with the 997.2 PDK sounds pretty fun too. I know how well the 981 platform drives, and I definitely want to keep a 997 in the garage.

If you were me, would you go that route? I haven't owned a Cayman; how will it stack up in terms of ownership experience vs. the 997.2? How about depreciation? I don't see the GTS model much under $65k used, but I only see fairly low mileage examples for sale. I am wondering what one would sell for with, say, 45,000 miles instead of 15,000 miles. I know an additional 30,000 miles on the 997.2 models isn't going to hit resale very hard at all, but I certainly can't stomach $1/mile deprecation (which is why I love the $.25/mile 997.2 deprecation curve!).
Old 04-17-2018 | 05:25 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by raidersfan
My wife suggests we keep both
^^^
First of all, well done sir.

As for myself, I'd have a hard time deciding but likely I'd keep both 911 as opposed to getting a Cayman too. I just like 911 a lot more. Plus the 997.2 should hold steady on its value if its decently equipped.
Old 04-17-2018 | 05:32 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fined
^^^
First of all, well done sir.

As for myself, I'd have a hard time deciding but likely I'd keep both 911 as opposed to getting a Cayman too. I just like 911 a lot more. Plus the 997.2 should hold steady on its value if its decently equipped.
Thanks. I also think that finding a nice 997.2 is getting tougher these days, which also leans toward keeping both. I felt really blessed to find each of these cars. Most that I see at dealers are typically in worse to much worse shape, and most of the cleaner cars are not going up for sale (I sold my 1st last year partially because it was black, and I swore I wouldn't buy another black car....)
Old 04-17-2018 | 05:50 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

If your wife suggests keeping both, do that. Happy wife, happy life!
T
Old 04-17-2018 | 06:45 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

First of all, Congrats on your blessings and your fortunate "First world problems" of deciding how many Pristine Porsche's to have in the garage.

My next question is, will these really be "HIS and HERS"??? Or is this really all about YOU??? ;^) If it really is for HER, than you already have your answer. +1 Happy Wife, Happy Life!

If this is really all about you and your wife has another daily driver or will rarely drive the 997, then maybe you want a little variety???

I am also fortunate enough to have a 997 C4S and 987 Cayman S. I absolutely love both and they truly do drive very different in the canyons and at the track.
In day to day driving the torque and power of the 997 3.8 liter is nice to have around town and in general it feels like a more powerful car at all rpms.
The Cayman S 3.4 liter engine is a much smoother engine and great engine to rev out, but you will be winding it out a bit more to get it really moving.
911 is not quite as nimble and light feeling as the Cayman and the front end tends to push, understeer, when taking aggressive turns. Even in the 4S.
With the 911 it's all about patience when entering the corner. Go in to the corner too hot or get on the throttle too soon and understeer will be there to greet you.
So you have to be patient when entering the corner and be properly setup with braking and throttle.
With the Cayman you can just chuck it in to a corner at any speed and the front end just sticks. Get on the throttle too soon mid corner... no problem.
The Cayman is telepathic in tackling corners and you can be more aggressive with the throttle with few worries.
In the 997, or 911s in general, I always have to have a plan of attack and be patient with the throttle so as to not make the front end too light mid corner, but once you pass that
apex you can take full advantage of the rear weight and really catapult out of the corner. Where, interestingly enough, sometimes you have to be patient with the throttle on exit in the Cayman
so as not to burn up that inside rear tire and loss traction.

Both cars are a blessing and amazing to drive. With all that said.... There is a "Prestige" factor with 911s. They do tend to hold their value better.
Cayman's still get a lot of respect, as they so deserve, but you do feel the "Prestige" factor more when driving the 911.
I love all Porsche's, so that does not bother me so much, but if you have an event or place to show off a bit, then the 911 is what you want.

As far as depreciation... Both the 997.2 and the 981 Cayman GTS sit in a sweet spot and I think will hold value similarly. With the Cayman GTS it's the last of the Flat Six 3.4 liters before turbocharging 4 cylinders arrived.
that should keep values up. With the 997.2, well, it's that last of the "real" porsches before they got huge and full of gadgets

decisions, decisions....
Old 04-18-2018 | 02:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

OK, here is the dilemma: I picked up a super clean 997.2 C2S here on the forums 2 months ago; a legit 9.9/10, 20k mile car with all records and PDK. Then last week, a local C4S 997.2 6MT dropped into my lap. It was cheaper, had 50k miles, but all service records, super build, and was very very clean and well cared for given the age and mileage. Given what I had paid on both cars, I figured I would drive both and sell the one I didn't like as much....therein lies the dilemma. Both are outstanding. The C2S has a lighter feel and the PDK and feels quicker. The C4S is more buttoned down and a manual, different in character. My wife suggests we keep both, and I tend to want to agree, as these cars aren't losing much in value, and neither is likely to be a major maintenance headache anytime soon. We both have DD's but would love to not fight over who gets the 911.

With that said, there is a gorgeous Cayman GTS for sale fairly close by, and thinking of pairing that with the 997.2 PDK sounds pretty fun too. I know how well the 981 platform drives, and I definitely want to keep a 997 in the garage.

If you were me, would you go that route? I haven't owned a Cayman; how will it stack up in terms of ownership experience vs. the 997.2? How about depreciation? I don't see the GTS model much under $65k used, but I only see fairly low mileage examples for sale. I am wondering what one would sell for with, say, 45,000 miles instead of 15,000 miles. I know an additional 30,000 miles on the 997.2 models isn't going to hit resale very hard at all, but I certainly can't stomach $1/mile deprecation (which is why I love the $.25/mile 997.2 deprecation curve!).
If I had your "problem", the first thing I would do would be to just sit in a Cayman for starters if you haven't already. A buddy of mine has one which he offered up for a test drive as long as he got one in my GTS. No problem except I'm 6'3" and it didn't take me long to realize I could never own a Cayman. I tried all kinds of different seating configurations but no matter which one, the Cayman cockpit is just too small for me. Same with the Boxster. Just can't get the seat far enough back or enough tilt for the right distance to the steering wheel. All that said I think I would be tempted to keep both 997's if I was 4" shorter even though I'm not a fan of the tip. But as a daily driver in a lot of traffic, why not....
Old 04-18-2018 | 09:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I can tell you from experience, keep both 997s or you're going to end up stuck with the Cayman. Now you can fight over who gets the top.
Old 04-18-2018 | 10:44 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

First step. Stop shopping.
Old 04-18-2018 | 11:23 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Second step - keep your wife.
Old 04-18-2018 | 10:28 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Third step. Tell the Cayman thanks but no thanks.
Old 04-19-2018 | 01:58 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by the_buch
Second step - keep your wife.
Ha! The Porsches will leave before she does. With that said, she is giving up her 7MT 991 to keep the 997. I think the subtle rawness of the 997 platform speaks to her, and the C2S/PDK and C4S/6MT is a nice contrast. She loved the 6MT box on the C4S, thought her 7MT felt like shifting through gravel in comparison. I tend to agree; the 7MT box on the 991 just isn't the same. Why not just roll wit the 6MT on the GT4, GT3 and 911R?
Old 04-19-2018 | 07:39 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Listen to your wife!

... and get yourself a new license plate: GR8 WIFE
Old 04-19-2018 | 05:29 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ElectricChair
Listen to your wife!

... and get yourself a new license plate: GR8 WIFE
GR8 idea! Seriously, we could use a 2nd plate; the C4S is getting "C4S 6MT".
Old 04-19-2018 | 05:41 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

GR8 idea! Seriously, we could use a 2nd plate; the C4S is getting "C4S 6MT".
Surprise her

Quick Reply: Need guidance: his and Hers 997.2? Or....