Whats Next? Your thoughts..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:49 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by kash101
update: GT4 -out , 996GT3 - out

the ~ delta between a 997.2 GT3 and GT3 is ~ 30k... wonder if the GTS will still depreciate, as I feel confident the gt3 will be good and may make more sense to pony up the extra dough when thinking about resale on both cars?
If in your shoes I'd be between a 997 turbo or a GTS. Love everything about the GT3 except it's not a great daily driver and not a wide body. The 997 wide body is the best looking rear end of the 911 ever imo. Yes, I'm biased with my current GTS but it really is a great package. It's the only wide body 997 with rear wheel drive except for the GT3RS and when sold new, if you added up all the options you almost got the X-51 package for free so great value too. And not that many were built either so depreciation should work in your favor. I bought mine 3 years ago and have put almost 30K miles on it. Was offered close to what I paid for it just months ago but I'm keeping it. It's that good plus I have exactly zero interest in the 991's for the same reasons you mentioned.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
It's the only wide body 997 with rear wheel drive except for the GT3RS
...and the GT2, of course, but they're around $200k +/- 10%
Old 03-19-2018, 02:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
...and the GT2, of course, but they're around $200k +/- 10%
Oh yeah....forgot about that one. Thx.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:37 AM
Definitive Porsche Guides
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

By the sounds of things you want a slice of Pork that offers a more involving drive, but also the ability to whisk the good lady out to dinner.... while depreciating very little!

If your priority is weekends away, an awesome state cruncher that warps time and space when you press the loud pedal - offering addictive fairground style thrust with all the toys then the Turbo S (or even the standard Turbo) is wonderful. The turbo really is a super GT, point to point it is right up there with the fastest (wet or dry!) and what it lacks in driver involvement it makes up for with g-forces and all round ability. The Bose tickles your ears the top-spec interior feels special, it is two cars in one - cruising with a whisper in comfort and then you put your foot down and all hell lets loose! careful checking of ceramics a must on the S.

If you want to have a weekend toy that will urge you to take it out for a back road blast, be eager to complete a few track days but also offer perfectly acceptable (if slightly compromised) regular driver credentials then the GT3 is hard to beat. With the introduction of PASM the hardcore drivers car of the range became daily drivable, it really is win-win, with fabulous interactive handling and acceptable ride quality for the restaurant trip. The engine is a masterpiece, it grumbles in the lower range, bellows in the midrange and screams like a demon banshee as the needle approches 8,400rpm (8500 in gen-2’s). This car will make you grow horns, you will end up driving everywhere like your pants are on fire. The combination of pin sharp handling, involving steering, fantastic brakes and that snarling howling flat six beast behind make it very special indeed. careful checking of consumables and for accident damage (due to track work) a must.

Ultimately it depends on what tickles your fancy (and your lady’s), both are fantastic if different slices of top quality pork, drive them both and decide what best fits into your life... it’s a nice decision to have
Old 03-19-2018, 07:05 PM
kash101
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Really helpful guys thanks so much... so many good choices ! Keep your thoughts coming. Im lining more towards the GT3, because its a very special and unique car. Every trip to Starbucks in that thing will be exciting. Im sure the same applies to the GTS but my thought is the GT3 kicks it up a notch. Coming out of a 991.2 Turbo S recently, I was unimpressed by the lack of driver involvement and insulated feeling. A bit too refined and powerful..
Old 03-19-2018, 08:48 PM
pebble
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get a GT3 and be done with it.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:53 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

997.2 turbo S is enormously fun on track. Connection of a mechanical 911 and just tons of power. You can mod or enhance it all sort of ways. The 9A1 is sorry just as solid if not really better than the Mezger. Flat future value at worst. You cannot go wrong.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:49 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Just get a GT3 and call it a day.

I'm the middle of relocation here.

When Im done.. sell house buy new house...yada yada, im getting a GT3. I'm going with the 991.1 however because I do a few track days.

If I was street cruising Id get a 2007-2008 Lamborghini Gallardo 6 speed manual. (the sound is to die for, and they are reliable cars bottom of the depreciation curve)

Quick Reply: Whats Next? Your thoughts..