Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This forum is scaring me away from a 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 01:16 PM
taguirre
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Kudos to this reply. I have a 05 997.1 with 112K on it and it runs like new. Sure I do worry about the IMS and will eventually get it done if my clutch ever wears out. This is my daily driver and not a garage queen which as Pedro said is one of the secrets to not having any issues.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:53 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by taguirre
Kudos to this reply. I have a 05 997.1 with 112K on it and it runs like new. Sure I do worry about the IMS and will eventually get it done if my clutch ever wears out. This is my daily driver and not a garage queen which as Pedro said is one of the secrets to not having any issues.
Have you been examining your oil? What about an UOA? Results?
Old 03-05-2019, 03:49 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,833 Likes on 2,863 Posts

Every Porsche model has had issues - 997.1 a great car unless you get absorbed in the magnified 1% on RL who have had issues.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:35 PM
drivrswntd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And now a year later everyone is freaking out about bore scoring on 997.2. There is no safe 997 anymore and the sky is falling!!!

I grabbed an 06 back in November. 2 owner full maintenance history and PPI and enjoying every minute of it!
Old 03-05-2019, 08:42 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Delete

Last edited by groovzilla; 03-05-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:35 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

It seems the more we find out, the worse Porsche engineering looks.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:23 PM
911Consultant
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This........
Im new to the forum and the new owner of a 2005 997.1 3.6 ltr base Carrera with 52k on the clock, tasty upgrades, full maintenance history and packages like the following:
19 inch Carrera classic wheels
PASM
Full leather Sand Beige
Bose
Sport wheel and adaptive seats
Sport Chrono
RED calipers
Bi Xenon
AND
GT3 front clip
Carbon fiber rear spoiler and hood
Full set TE 37 Volks
Custom long tube headers/Fabspeed cans, H&R springs, K&N intake
That said, knowing the risk of early cars and this one has been driven a bit but not as much over the last 9 yrs, im doing the IMS/RMS and clutch before driving the crap out of it. its my second car and will split mileage but its no longer a garage queen. Mine is an early build car with the single row bearing and replaceable. I recall reading on total 911 that some known 911 shop personality actually preferred the 2005 M96 motor for the serviceable bearing.
Coming from BMW M cars with EGR failures and wheel bearings made of plastic and not to mention cooling systems made of plastic and Main bearing issues on S52 and S62 's and rear subframe bushings and so on and on and on...........
I got a great deal on a low mileage for the age car that was maintained and after a bit of polish and preventive maintenance ill drive and keep it healthy. Im on the right side of it even with the IMS/RMS/Clutch work so buy, service and enjoy.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:58 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 297 Posts

interesting that the latest "Bore scoring part 2" video from Jake Raby about M96/M97 at 17:50-18:20 says that they seldom/rarely see engines that have been abused, driven hard, or even neglected actually have bore scoring. The bore scoring is more common with the well maintained, low mileage garage queens. Go Figure!! In other words... Stop worrying, Get out and drive, and drive the hell out of it! Enjoy!

ps... It's no secret now, but some times I need a vacation from RL Forums... I worry less, feel much happier, and enjoy my P-cars more!
Old 03-06-2019, 01:02 AM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with @TheBruce on going with a lower mileage car. I do understand the logic behind the idea that a low mileage 997.1 car is more likely to have engine problems than a car that was driven more, but I would argue that a higher mileage car would have other maintenance costs. And if a pristine car is important to you and makes your Porsche experience more fun, then you have to consider a lower mileage car. Also, let’s say for the sake of argument you have a major engine failure, would you want to make that investment in a car with 30k miles or 80k miles? I love low mile pristine cars because I don’t daily drive them and it’s part of what makes a weekend car fun for me. For this reason I’m generally willing to pay up for the lower mileage to have a car with very little cosmetic wear. I have a nicely optioned 2007 4S I bought last year with 23k miles, and added about 4k this first year. This is my first Porsche experience and I have no regrets. It’s the most fun car to drive I have owned, and I have had many cars. There are cars you bond with, and cars you never do, and this car is certainly the former. If I end up having to rebuild the engine, the cost of that experience will be less than the first year of depreciation on a new 991, and I will have made that investment in a low mile pristine car I love.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,023 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Consultant
This........
Im new to the forum and the new owner of a 2005 997.1 3.6 ltr base Carrera with 52k on the clock, tasty upgrades, full maintenance history and packages like the following:
19 inch Carrera classic wheels
PASM
Full leather Sand Beige
Bose
Sport wheel and adaptive seats
Sport Chrono
RED calipers
Bi Xenon
AND
GT3 front clip
Carbon fiber rear spoiler and hood
Full set TE 37 Volks
Custom long tube headers/Fabspeed cans, H&R springs, K&N intake
That said, knowing the risk of early cars and this one has been driven a bit but not as much over the last 9 yrs, im doing the IMS/RMS and clutch before driving the crap out of it. its my second car and will split mileage but its no longer a garage queen. Mine is an early build car with the single row bearing and replaceable. I recall reading on total 911 that some known 911 shop personality actually preferred the 2005 M96 motor for the serviceable bearing.
Coming from BMW M cars with EGR failures and wheel bearings made of plastic and not to mention cooling systems made of plastic and Main bearing issues on S52 and S62 's and rear subframe bushings and so on and on and on...........
I got a great deal on a low mileage for the age car that was maintained and after a bit of polish and preventive maintenance ill drive and keep it healthy. Im on the right side of it even with the IMS/RMS/Clutch work so buy, service and enjoy.

Hope you saved the stock parts you replaced. My car is up for sale and I can't give it away with more than $20,000 worth of "tasty upgrades". These are the finest and most expensive upgrades available. Instead.... "do you have the stock seats and stock wheels for the car" is one of the most common questions. And this on a forum where after market wheels, exhausts and what not is discussed daily. Go figure.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:24 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

All I can add is it looked to me like those guys in the latest Bore Scoring video need to get out and start dating - Looks/sounds like they haven't been with a woman in years.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:39 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I join all that has been said here, the people in the forum are amazing and knowledgeable!
Professional and general on the basis of experience and sharing of the amazing members of the forum.
997 This is an amazing car and like any sports car there is always a "risk".
I drive three years at 997.1 carrera s and enjoy every minute (regular maintenance).
Also, I have to point out that after reading everything that friends post on the post, I also feel much better
Enjoy and lots of health!

Quick Reply: This forum is scaring me away from a 997.1